Are you gluten intolerant?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

People who suffer from Celiac Disease or are gluten intolerant are always looking for dining, cooking, and shopping tips. If you have any, please share them.

From the Globe: Diary of a celiac (April 23, 2008)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nblg. Show nblg's posts

Amarin, in Newton, will also prepare many of the Thai dishes gluten-free (and vegetarian/vegan, if you care about that as well).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from friend627. Show friend627's posts

4 years with celiacs/gluten intolerance and I eat and cook more at home.� My sister has had celiacs for 16 years since delivering her twins.� She was actually a little excited when I was diagnosed because she knew I would start researching and cooking new recipies.� I took a Gluten free cooking class at the Cambridge Cullinary School with Rebecca Riley.�We learned how to make foccacia (sp?), pizza dough and pasta.� They were all�very good. �I bought her baking book and I make an easy banana blueberry bread that is fantastic.� I depend on WholeFoods for decent sandwich bread.� Thier own brand in the freezer is very good.� I save the heels of the loaves int the freezer and make my own bread crumbs in the blender for breading and stuffing.� Also, Amy's Gluten Free Mac and Cheese is very good.� Sometimes you just miss that type of comfort food.� Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia is gluten free.� Thank goodness.� Run, don't walk, to Woodman's in Essex, MA for fried seafood that is excellent.� Only thier onion rings are not gluten free.� When going out, I eat at the Elephant Walk in Waltham, PF Changs in the Pru and the OutBack steak house in Burlington/Woburn.� The Thunder Down Under is my favorite.�

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dasha18. Show dasha18's posts

Many kosher for Passover foods are gluten free as well as corn and soy free.� Although you need to still read all labels, look for gluten free or "non-gebrokts"� which means made without ground matza.� The Butcherie in Brookline should have the largest supply.� Ohterwise look on the web for kosher for Passover web stores.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nblg. Show nblg's posts

Also try the gluten-free "chreese" product, by Road's End Organics. Good for the gluten-intolerant and lactose-intolerant (or vegan). The gluten-free flavor is an acquired taste, I have to admit.

I'm sort of missing it on Passover, actually.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DianeJohn. Show DianeJohn's posts

You definitely don't have to suffer eating steakhouse meat and potatoes. I've been gluten free since 2006. My wife and I cook some great meals together. Tinkyada pasta is made from brown rice and we've been able to recreate everything from lasagna to spaghetti and even good ole mac and cheese.

Our favorite website for gluten-free recipes is Karina's Kitchen- the Gluten-Free Goddess. Nicely designed with a recipe index. She also has a soft spot for vegans and vegetarians, so there are dozens of recipes for people who need to eat gluten-free and dairy-free, etc.

We've tried other recipes on-line with mixed results. Karina is the best, hands down.

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com

For dining out, we've had good luck at PF Changs, Naked Fish and Elephant Walk.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from setgewick1. Show setgewick1's posts

There's a great bakery in the Boston area that makes gluten free cakes.� It's called Diamond Baking Co.� It's not a retail store front though, so they only do orders by request.� The cakes are tasty though!� Check them out::

http://www.diamondbakingco.com

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from friend627. Show friend627's posts

To the best of my knowledge, The owners/management of Woodmans has a family memeber with Celica so they know what they are doing.� I asked the first time I went and they cook their seafood, french fries and onion rings all in separate frying oil due to seafood allergies as well as gluten sensitivities.� They used finely ground cornmeal as coating.� It is not gritty at all.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from happiest1. Show happiest1's posts

I haven't noticed anyone addressing the issue of children with autism who have responded well to gluten-free and dairy-free (casein-free) diets, known in shorthand as the GFCF diet.� Coping with both allergies is even more difficult, but definitely can be done with much tinkering of recipes.� My daughter has had success with several cookbooks aimed at the GFCF diet.� Again, Whole Foods is probably the best chain for those types of foods, too, although my daughter makes the majority of her own foods for her toddler son.� It's a lot of work for her but definitely worth the results.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mistergman123. Show mistergman123's posts

I have no patience for gluten, and I won't tolerate it!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from celiacrunner. Show celiacrunner's posts

Hi.� I was reading some of your posts, and I don't want to make anyone angry but as far as I know there is no such thing as gluten intolerant.� You either have celiac disease or you do not.� One good book that really helped me when I found out is Celiac Disease:� A Hidden Epidemic by Peter H.R. Green and Rory Jones.� The authors are doctors at Columbia, and specialize in Celiac Disease.� I don't know why people say they can't have pasta, bread, carbs etc., because there are so many extremely tasty products out there that we can eat.� Pasta:� BioNature gluten, soy and rice pasta, which is really good and does not get sticky at all, other good pastas are Millet or buckwheat pasta that you can order either online or get at Roche Bros.� Wraps:� There are brown rice wraps that you can get at whole foods that are really goodBread:� At whole foods there are breads that are made of millet, or millet and veggies, or oats with no other flour that are amazing.� Even people who are not gluten free like them.� Baking Mixes, Pancake Mix, etc.:� The Really Great Food Company, its hard to find in stores, but Roche Bros. in Natick has them along with Donelans in Wayland.� They can also be ordered onlineSome other Baking mixes that are good are Pamela's baking mixes.� Quinoa is another really tasty grain that is gluten free.� It can be made into pilaf.� Buckwheat grits can be found at whole foods and they are gluten free, and really good.� Gluten free granola can be found almost anywhere and put in yogurt and such.� Luna bars are also gluten free.� Amy's products are fantastic and they are frozen so they are really easy.� Annie's has gluten free rice pasta mac n' cheese.� Bob's red mill is another good company.� There are a lot of good products online that you can't get in stores.� A good website is glutenfree.com.�

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from celiacrunner. Show celiacrunner's posts

Gluten Intolorance stems from someone who is asymptomatic and does not have villi damage, and therefore is "intolerant".� The intolerance, or whatever to gluten occurs when a person does not have damage and does not get sick when eating gluten, but as soon as they go gluten-free and then eat gluten again, they usually do get sick.� It is an autoimmune disorder not an allergy, so yes intolerance does not exist, but:� �I'm not going to argue with you, so I'll just agree to disagree with you!�

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bsort. Show bsort's posts

It's pretty rotten to tell people to "quit whining" over this condition.� That's great that you've gotten past the stage of being angry or overly concerned about it, but that's no reason to put down other's perfectly valid feelings.� Maybe not everyone is having as easy a time with the diet as you.� Have some sympathy in the future.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from friend627. Show friend627's posts

I purchased it at the Cambridge Culinary Institute when I took her class.� I think if you gave them a call they would be able to tell you where you might buy it.