Buying produce directly from farms, as part of a co-op

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Buying produce directly from farms, as part of a co-op

I read on the pages of The Globe (or maybe elsewhere) about individuals purchasing and having produce delivered to their homes, directly from the farms. This is something like a home-delivery farmers market.

The buyers decide in advance what they want, and pay monthly. The join a co-op to do this.

I don't recall if it keeps prices down, but it ensures weekly or monthly delivery of seasonal, local produce and eggs.

Does anyone have any links to news stories about this?

Thank you,

rdg

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Buying produce directly from farms, as part of a co-op

I know people who participated in a co-op, but it was a bit different than you described.  They had to work 4 hours a month (or a week...sorry, can't remember) on the farm.  Also, they didn't get to order what they wanted, they got the veggies that were most plentiful at the time.  She had to learn how to prepare things she'd never seen before!  It was not cheap, either, nor delivered.  So, they aren't all the same.

Here's a site where you can enter your zip code and find grocery/co-ops near you.

http://www.localharvest.org/food-coops/

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mar-a. Show mar-a's posts

There are CSA's (Community Supported Agriculture).  I am a part of Allendale Farms CSA.  They grow all of the veggies at the farm.  You decide if you want a half bushel or a whole (whole usually will feed a family of 4 or larger -- half feeds two adults, etc.) Anyway, I don't really remember how much we paid for our half bushel, but it amounted to roughly $10 a week, which is what I would normally spend a week on vegetables.  We have our pick up at the farm once a week, and we do not have to log any hours working there.  There are additional CSA's available as well, for eggs, meat, etc, but those cost extra. 

For both of the CSA's I have done, you do not get to pick your vegetables, however I've never been given something that I couldn't figure out what to do with.   Some CSA's have pick-ups around boston or at farmer's markets, some deliver. 

Here are two links:  

http://thefoodproject.org/csa-box-share   (we did this one before as well, it was good, but the pick up was farther from our house)

A lot of farms are starting CSA's as it is a way for them to acquire income during the year to tide them over during winter months. 

It is really fantastic. And if you figure out how much you normally spend at the grocery store a week on vegetables, it can run the same amount, depending on the person. 

Good luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

In Response to Buying produce directly from farms, as part of a co-op:
    I read on the pages of The Globe (or maybe elsewhere) about individuals purchasing and having produce delivered to their homes, directly from the farms. This is something like a home-delivery farmers market. The buyers decide in advance what they want, and pay monthly. The join a co-op to do this. I don't recall if it keeps prices down, but it ensures weekly or monthly delivery of seasonal, local produce and eggs. Does anyone have any links to news stories about this? Thank you, rdg
    Posted by reindeergirl

It sounds like you are talking about Boston Organics.  We used to have fruit and veggies delievered from them weekly and it was great.  I don't think it's the same idea as a Co-Op, but basically, you pay for a certain size box and you can have it be filled with all veggies, all fruit, half and half, etc.  They get the produce locally if they can, but of course this is not always possible in NE.  When they do supply from Mexico, etc - they will only buy from Fair Trade farmers.  They give you all the info about where everything comes from.  Plus, each week it's a surprise.  But you can make a list of things you do not want. 
    It was a wonderful program, I was really happy.  We only stopped due to financial reasons.  Plus we moved and I'm not sure if they service our area.  We lived in Malden and they are out of Charlestown. 
    Oh and in addition, you can have eggs, honey, etc added to your order for an additional charge.  Also local and organic. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

bostonslp,
    The farm coop you were connected with sounds just great.  I am sorry you had to quit if for economic reasons. Both my nieces belong to one. But they have to go and pick the produce themselves and work a certain amount of hours. It is wonderful for the kids to be involved. Me, my age would just love to find one, even if I had to pay a bit more, where the produce is picked for me. I am not doing well in the sun and heat.
    My son recently signed up for one (not in this town), that creates a crate for him every week. The greatest produce of all. Sometimes, he gets stuff he does not know what is and send me a picture of it. What is this Mom? Like this week he got freshly picked spinach. So far he had only seen it in bags (so sad). I am truly happy, that he is trying to connect with the farms. This should be something we all want to do. To eat better and to help local farmers.
    Unfortunately, they cheat sometimes. Like this past week he got a bunch of apples, and apples are not in season right now. But IMO apples are better than Doritos and chips.
    - Pingo

Sections
Shortcuts