Cake tester - toothpick?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Cake tester - toothpick?

Will a toothpick suffice for a thin, metal "official" cake tester?  I don't have a cake tester....  I do have thicker, metal skewers.  Would that mimic a cake tester better?

HELP!  I'm a cook, not a baker, and DH's birthday is tomorrow.  You guessed it, homemade cake time.

TIA!  I'm heading to the kitchen right now...will check back when cake is ready to be tested.

~kar

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: Cake tester - toothpick?

In Response to Cake tester - toothpick?:
    Will a toothpick suffice for a thin, metal "official" cake tester?  I don't have a cake tester....  I do have thicker, metal skewers.  Would that mimic a cake tester better? HELP!  I'm a cook, not a baker, and DH's birthday is tomorrow.  You guessed it, homemade cake time. TIA!  I'm heading to the kitchen right now...will check back when cake is ready to be tested. ~kar
    Posted by kargiver

Toothpick, bounce, or when cake starts to pull away from sides - all measures of when a cake is done, Kargiver.  Never can go by just the time the recipe calls for, since all ovens run a little differently.  That time is just a guide.  I start to test mine 10 minutes before.  Good luck.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    Listen to tt - she is our official Chat baker.
    I always use a toothpick - works well. If it comes out clean - the cake is done - sometimes overdone. So take tt's advice, start testing before it is supposed to be done.
    Oh, looking at the time you posted, the cake must be all done. Hopefully the result was great. What did you make? Amazing, how many March children we have here.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, friends!

I was hiding a migraine when I wrote this hoping against hope I'd be able to bake regardless.  Didn't make it past getting the ingredients out with one hand, holding my head up with the other. 

Now, must RUN and get everything done TODAY before 4:00, DH's arrival time.  Yes, today he happens to be getting home super early.  Nice on one hand...

Thanks, again.  I'll watch for all those things.  Overdone, dry cake is yucky...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

Good luck Kar!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from arubagirl. Show arubagirl's posts

I remember my grandmother usuing the straw of the broom YUK I use  piece of dried spaghetti

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

A broom straw, ew!  I like the spaghetti idea, though.

OK, is cake batter supposed to be really runny?  I followed the directions to a T, no "healthy" substitutions...it's his BD, after all. :)

On to the frosting.  I hope I'm not going to have to apply it to a Duncan Hines stand in...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Well, for better or worse, they are out.  They sank a little in the middles, but the toothpicks were clean and the sides are pulling away.  It smells good, and they rose a lot, doubling in height.  Sound about right?  I have never done this, can you tell? I'm a cook, not a baker...

(It might not be spotless, but the house sure smells good.  I hope he comes home on the far side of his projection.  Not that I'm not eager to see him, of course, but I need every minute!  Gracie has been busy enterataining herself with the doggie buddy next door.  She just came in soaking wet ready for a nap.  So, no walk today...she's curled up in her crate with the door wide open sound asleep.  Wish I could join her in a nap.)

OK, back to the frosting endeavor.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

A little sunken - is this a disaster waiting to be frosted??

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

As long as the center comes out dry with your toothpick, it is done.  Frosting covers up a multitude of sins - just pile it on a little heavier where it sags, and then smooth the top.  Noone will be the wiser.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, tt.  I did as you suggested, but it's still lopsided, and I didnt' have enough frosting to cover my sins.  Oh, well.  I think it will taste good, and DH will appreciate the effort.

What did I do wrong, though?  Is the sagging due to it being a little underdone?  Or, maybe my leavening agents are too old.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

not so bad...next time use a butter knife

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It sagged before I stuck anything in it...

But, good news - DH LOVED it!  And, so did I - I was thrilled with the result.  It's Ina Garten's of the Food Network.

Ina's Chocolate Cake

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

The Barefoot Contessa's recipe and you were thinking of garbaging it for a Duncan Hines?!  I'll bet it was scrumptous.  With Ina's recipe it couldn't help but be a hit.  I have a couple of her cookbooks, love to watch her show, enjoy the area footage to the various markets and homes as much as her!  Congratulations, now you've something to live up to next year!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, tt!  I had no doubt that Ina's recipe was be fabulous (and over 700 people reviewed it as a 5 star creation), but I DID have doubt that I'd be able to pull it off having never done anything like it before.  DH didn't care a bit that it was sagging and lopsided 'cause we both thought it was perfectly scrumptious.  However, while the taste and texture were divine, it looked like a kindergartener had attempted to bake Daddy a cake.  LOL

It's on the menu for next year, anyway, and maybe over the years it will end up looking as good as it tastes.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    We all made mistakes - it just takes time to be perfect. And then again, no one will ever be perfect.
    Baking has a lot of details, one is not in charge of. Too cold or too hot an oven f. ex.  The more you bake, the more you you will know your oven.
    That your cake deflated is not such a bad thing. Like other posters said - cover it up with the frosting. Did you have all your ingredients at room temperature? That is  a must.
    ---while the taste and texture were divine, it looked like a kindergartner had attempted to bake Daddy a cake--- 
    Not a bad thing at all. I am sure DH will love you for it ---- Pingo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

For sure.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks for the reassurance, friends. :)

Pingo, I had everything at room temp except the cup of buttermilk.  I will adhere to your instructions next time with everything being at room temp.  I followed Ina's directions strictly which only mentioned the eggs (which were out 24 hours since I got them out to cook with the day before).

I've accepted my lopsided, sunken cake as a success - DH was thrilled with it and it tasted perfect.  YAY!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Just little P.S. - I know all bakers say to have ingredients at room temperature, but I do so much on the spur of the moment baking that it would be impossible for me to follow that rule.  I've never noticed any difference, Kargiver.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Interesting...  I should have mentioned that there was a cup of hot coffee in it so I think the batter was probably at room temp when it went into the oven.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: Cake tester - toothpick?:
    Interesting...  I should have mentioned that there was a cup of hot coffee in it so I think the batter was probably at room temp when it went into the oven.
    Posted by kargiver

Speaking of hot coffee - I don't know how much you watch her show, but with all her chocolate recipes she adds coffee in some form, says it brings out the flavor of the chocolate.  Ever since I first saw her do that, I add a tbsp. of coffee left over in the press from breakfast into any chocolate batter I'm making.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, yeah, we watch faithfully and even saw the "secret ingredient" one twice.  She put coffee in her chocolate cupcakes and they won, hands down, remember that one?  DH watches with me. :)  I couldn't taste the coffee in the cake, but I could in the frosting, it was kind of mocha-ish...light on the coffee flavor, but there.  You've got to try it, tt, I know you'll love it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

Kar,

I made two cakes the other day, but discovered I could not test them with my usual toothpick, because I had taken them all to a party last weekend.  So, I ended up using one of the thin plastic-covered metal twist ties that come with computer equipment.  Worked great!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good to know, hats!  Glad you found a substitute in that pinch.  Mmm, cake.  I'm dying for cake, now.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

In Response to Re: Cake tester - toothpick?:
    Kar, I made two cakes the other day, but discovered I could not test them with my usual toothpick, because I had taken them all to a party last weekend.  So, I ended up using one of the thin plastic-covered metal twist ties that come with computer equipment.  Worked great!
    Posted by Ihavemyhats

Was one of the cakes a lemon/lemon curd with lemon flavor butter cream frosting?

Sections
Shortcuts