Coffee drinkers: Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ridefast. Show ridefast's posts

Re: Coffee drinkers: Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts?

10 - 1?? then why does the proliferation of empty plastic and styrofoam cups strewn around the New Engalnd landscape seem to be 100 - 1 in "favor" of DD - are DD customers less likely to use a trash can!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from larryslanding. Show larryslanding's posts

Dunkin Donuts coffee has gone down hill over the past 7 years or so.  Their coffee is very inconsistent and tastes burnt/weak.  I think some of the inconsistency may be due to the water being used at each location.

Starbucks on the other hand is a much better brew and is actually right in line with the price at Dunkins (for coffee). The taste and consistency between locations is a thousands times better. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MariosKitchen. Show MariosKitchen's posts

I prefer to make my own coffee at home in a french press. Starbucks or Dunkin, it just tastes a million times better. I do have to hand it to Starbucks for one thing though - They brew their coffee (most of the time) correctly, where as Dunkin does not. Most cups of Dunkin taste like water filtered through dirt.

I hate to make judgement calls on coffee because it's a personal preferance, however, to those of you who think Starbucks coffee is too "strong" it is usually closer to how coffee is supposed to taste. As for the stuff they brew at Dunkin - I'm sorry, but that dirt water they serve is just NOT COFFEE!

God, I LOVE their donuts though!Tongue out

May I suggest to all of you making your own coffee in a french press. It's the BEST way to make it and you will discover what coffee is truly meant to taste like.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I forgot - Starbucks has the best muffins. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from M--S. Show M--S's posts

Charbux?  Gimme a break.  I like strong coffee, but not burnt coffee.  Starbucks coffee tastes like it's been left on the burner for about a year.  They call it a "full city" roast, but if you ask anyone familiar with roasting coffee, they'll tell you it's usually way past that, more into the "bean is destroyed" territory. 

Dunkies can be too weak, but it varies from store to store.  I usually avoid the ones with weak coffee.

Personally, I prefer Panera coffee.  It's stronger than Dunkins, but not burned like Starbucks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheSageJohnLocke. Show TheSageJohnLocke's posts

Starbucks is mud.  And the stuff they serve at the cafeteria at work has ZERO caffeine!  You have to spike it with the rot-gut acid-wash coffee they give you at work for free just to get your eyes open.

Dunkin' is GREAT except you can drink only one.  Way too much caffeine.  Same as New England coffee.  They are excellent too but again way way too much caffeine.  

If you want to drink coffee ALL DAY without any negative side effects, you are looking for Green Mountain Coffee!  Its in every small Vermont country store in VT but around here it seems you can only find them in gas stations/convenience stores.  Put Green Mountain coffee on this map and you'll have a useful map!  Every town has Dunkin' but you'll need to search to find Green Mountain around here.  Again, you can enjoy drinking it ALL DAY and not be debilitated by it...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus. Show Rufus's posts

I prefer Starbucks to DD, but I go to an independent daily for what I think is much better java (Coffee Exchange in Providence)...

I chose Starbucks over DD because I find the latter to be relatively watered-down and flavorless...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dsilva1217. Show dsilva1217's posts

Iced coffee is blasphemous. Drink it hot or drink soda you fools.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harpswell. Show harpswell's posts

Starbucks anytime and every time.  If you see me with a Dunkin coffee it is because their is no SB within 10 miles.  Actually, now that SB makes its "instant" I keep those in my car, my bag, my kitchen.  In desperation I would pay for a cup of hot water at Dunkin to put my SB "instant" in.  DD, besides tasting sort of like swamp water, upsets my tummy.  SB dark never does.
    (Some folks refer to Dunkin as "funkin").

Now if I could just get a hot Krispy Kreme donut to go with my SB coffee, I would be as close to paradise as possible while on earth.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harpswell. Show harpswell's posts

In Response to Re: Coffee drinkers: Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts?:
    DD has very good flavor, Starbuck is over priced and just taste like mud.
    Posted by maxx03

If (!) you are right, SB is the best mud I've ever tasted!  8-)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rforte40. Show rforte40's posts

Anyone else notice that the map is not fully accurate?  There is a Starbucks in Billerica, and 5 Dunkin Donuts.

I prefer Dunkins for iced and Starbucks for hot coffee.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from harpswell. Show harpswell's posts

Starbucks.  It's better coffee (try D&D w out the sugar and cream, yuck) and it's cheaper!
    Posted by BrWyMi

I hadn't thought of it that way and you are right.  Since I have always drank my coffee black, never with any kind of sweetner or dairy product, that would explain the difference.  Black DD coffee is truly yuck.  Black SB is yum.  Real coffee, no need to add stuff.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lama. Show Lama's posts

I'm done with D&D.  Pretty consistenly, I get a burnt cup of coffee.  That's inexcusable in my book.  Ever since D&D decided to cut costs and use central bakeries, they have cut corners on everything else too.  They let old coffee sit on the burner for hours instead of "wasting" 25 cents and a brewing a new pot.  The centralized D&D formula was the worst thing that ever happened to them.  Add in the pretty standard English as a second (or third) language  or the passionless High Schooler employees, and it can be a disatisfying and frustrating experience.

I prefer the smaller local donut chains ((Dippin Donuts in the Leominster area RAWKS!!) to the bigs, but if I gotta choose, I'd opt for Starbucks based on the tatsiness of their other bevs and friendliness/willingness to serve of the employees.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from scrambled-eggs. Show scrambled-eggs's posts

Does anyone know the identities of the 35 DDs that still make their own donuts? DD won't tell.
    Never go to Starbuck's

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harpswell. Show harpswell's posts

dunkin- because they actually prepare your coffee.  No standing over a dirty garbage barrell/counter adding your own cream, sugar, etc.  All the independents operate this way, too.  Disgusting. 
    Posted by crzn

The SB counter is always clean.   I don't know where you've been.  If I wanted (and I don't) cream and sugar in my coffee, I'd prefer to add my own rather than rely on someone to guess the amount.  

On the other hand, the restrooms in DD are pretty disgusting.  SB always clean and tidy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from harpswell. Show harpswell's posts

DD coffee is garbage.  It's weak as hell and tastes burned.  Most of the people who frequent DD don't notice it because they pollute their joe with milk and a pound of sugar.  If you drink coffee black, which is how it's supposed to be drank, Starbucks is the hands down winner over DD. 
    Posted by johnjabor

I couldn't have said it better.  You are correct on all points.  Thank you!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nocountryforyoungmen. Show nocountryforyoungmen's posts

Dunkin Donuts: Sugar water with a language barrier.
    Starbucks: Overpriced.

Mom and pop shops: Where are you? We need you in a time like this.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from gt4569a. Show gt4569a's posts

DD for drip coffee and a glazed.  *$$ for vanilla latte and, at xmas time only, cranberry bliss bars...
    But DD is a daily stop. *$$ maybe twice a year. worked there in college and still can't adjust to having to pay for the stuff.
    tip: if you like lattes get a misto- aka cafe au lait, aka half drip half milk- WAY more caffeine and half the price. They used to not put them on the menu board precisely because they cost much less than a latte but taste v similar (esp if the coffee of the day is Yukon or Gold Coast or Verona).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harpswell. Show harpswell's posts

I love DD, howeer since they were bought out I'm finding more and more inconsistancies bewtween one store and another. Also, and this is a HUGE pet peeve, especially in the drive thru, WHY CAN"T THEY STIR or SHAKE THE COFFEE TO MIX IT BEFORE THEY HAND IT TO YOU?! THEY USE TO?  They now have the thinnest ice coffee cups on the planet and when you try to shake it in the car it goes everywhere! That little wrist twist they to to attempt to mix it doesn't work and all get I get is a moutful of Equal when I take my first sip. Not a very good first impression or start of my day.
    Posted by aquanet

And DD charges you to put on an extra cup so you don't burn your hand; they are too cheap to have sleeves.   
    I only go to DD if I am totally desperate and even then I rarely drink more than quarter cup.  Waste of money.  SB always leaves me wishing I'd bought a bigger size.  Yum.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harpswell. Show harpswell's posts

Dunkin Donuts: Sugar water with a language barrier. Starbucks: Overpriced. Mom and pop shops: Where are you? We need you in a time like this.
    Posted by nocountryforyoungmen

If you are on the north shore, try Front Street coffee shop in downtown Salem. Excellent coffee etc.

Also the Salem SB is good, comfy, clean and friendly.  Oh wait. I've never been in a SB that wasn't.  Smile

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bugg6633. Show bugg6633's posts

I used to go to DD's every day because of the convenient drive-thru.  I think I convinced myself of that.  But, 90% of the time I would get a disgusting cup of ice or hot coffee.  It was ALWAYS hit or miss.. usually miss.

I typically brew my own but I'd go to a Starbuck's over a DD's any day.  A lot of their drinks are expensive, but if you go there to buy coffee in it's purest form, black/espresso, you don't have to spend an arm and a leg.  A frappacino with 5 different syrups, milks, powders, and bases costs a lot of money.

How is it worth 50 cents less to get a watered-down-burnt ice coffee at DD that you're going to end up throwing out anyways?  I've never considered a customer at Starbuck's pretentious just because they'll pay an extra dollar for a delicious coffee experience.  If you want to buy crappy coffee for less, than I wouldn't consider you to be a coffee drinker..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nocountryforyoungmen. Show nocountryforyoungmen's posts

In Response to Re: Coffee drinkers: Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts? : If you are on the north shore, try Front Street coffee shop in downtown Salem. Excellent coffee etc. Also the Salem SB is good, comfy, clean and friendly.  Oh wait. I've never been in a SB that wasn't.  
    Posted by harpswell

Thank you, I'll check it out sometime!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from roninent1. Show roninent1's posts

I'm in the neither category. If I had to choose, it'd be DD, but as stated it's inconsistent from excellent all the way to dishwater.

I generally go the McDonald's now for coffee when I can. Half the price of DD/Starbucks and much better.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GrabberOrange. Show GrabberOrange's posts

My girlfriend likes Starbucks and I like Dunkin Donuts.

There is no explaination at Starbucks. You have to rely on the veretrans to choose for you.

I hate the size designation and just ask for a medium when I want medium. They might try to corrent me but I really don't care to learn new lingo to get a coffee drink. It just stupid.

I get free Starbucks coffee here at work and after a second cup my breath can melt steel. Hawwww, aweful.

For fancy drinks I preffer a real coffee house versus Starbucks fake image. Salem has an amazing one near the Peabody museum in the shopping area.

To get the same flavor as Starbucks from a Dunkin's brew add one spent piece of charcoal.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hotcinnababy. Show hotcinnababy's posts

It depends on the drink - Iced tea from Starbucks, always because you can get it super strong.  Coffee from Dunks.  Any other fancy beverage, I do Starbucks, but they have def. started to go the McD's way with their premixes.  They won me back with the old fashioned "how you like it" frappachino that came back this spring.