Coffee drinkers: Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harpswell. Show harpswell's posts

Re: Coffee drinkers: Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts?

In Response to Re: Coffee drinkers: Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts?:
    Starbucks, without a doubt.  Dunkin's is too weak.  As regards tot he pretensions, I think Starbucks sometimes does that intentionally to create an image for itself.  I don't care about that, I just like strong coffee.  And I don't like all these crazy cappucini with crazy ingredients or the caffelatte with all the sweet syrups.  You'd never find that in Italy.  I know we live in the US, but I'm a coffee purist.  I like a traditional espresso, cappuccino or caffelatte, and the strong American coffees. 
    Posted by dmi210

Thank you; I couldn't have said it better.  And I don't know where people get the idea that SB is pretentious.  I always go to SB where ever I am and the staff are friendly, courteous, AND make a fantastic cup of coffee.  Love me some SB!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harpswell. Show harpswell's posts

I used to go to DD's every day because of the convenient drive-thru.  I think I convinced myself of that.  But, 90% of the time I would get a disgusting cup of ice or hot coffee.  It was ALWAYS hit or miss.. usually miss. I typically brew my own but I'd go to a Starbuck's over a DD's any day.  A lot of their drinks are expensive, but if you go there to buy coffee in it's purest form, black/espresso, you don't have to spend an arm and a leg.  A frappacino with 5 different syrups, milks, powders, and bases costs a lot of money. How is it worth 50 cents less to get a watered-down-burnt ice coffee at DD that you're going to end up throwing out anyways?  I've never considered a customer at Starbuck's pretentious just because they'll pay an extra dollar for a delicious coffee experience.  If you want to buy crappy coffee for less, than I wouldn't consider you to be a coffee drinker..
    Posted by bugg6633

I agree with you 100%

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarlontheCape. Show CarlontheCape's posts

One can easily see the ' crab grass ' effect of DD by looking at the map showing MA outlet locations.  Each store represents  ten or twelve part time, low wage, minimal benefit jobs that I am more than willing to bet are most often held by illegal immigrants.  The low wages are further subsidized by tips - how odd that the consumer tolerates this, but there are no tip cups at MacDonalds. If one of these young men or women requires dental or medical care, who do YOU think pays the freight?  A pox on this local corporation -

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from eyetye291. Show eyetye291's posts

Neither....DD is awful and Starbucks is overpriced and pretentious.....vente?  WTH.  I prefer just about any small, locally owned coffee shop where the beans are roasted locally, and the atmosphere is neither frenetic (DD) or snobby (SB)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from acatseye. Show acatseye's posts

hot starbucks, iced dunkin donuts
    Posted by JEnvie

Totally agree!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwinawards. Show darwinawards's posts

Not a huge coffee drinker, but nothing says Massachusetts like a big fatty with a wicked thick Boston accent walking into DD and ordering a large iced coffee with extra cream and extra sugar.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harpswell. Show harpswell's posts

I don't even drink coffee so I don't go to either place.  So completely unbiased by a taste preference I can say that SB customers as a whole seem to be stuck up snots that think they are better than everyone else, while DD customers seem to be more working class and real.  It is clear which you will find at Al's Steakhouse and which you will find at Bistro de Pierre.
    Posted by RHoule

If you "don't go to either place" then I don't know how you can make these judgments.  I've been to both places (although I consistently get my coffee at SB) and I think you should patronize each before you draw unwarranted conclusions.  Please.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harpswell. Show harpswell's posts

Not a huge coffee drinker, but nothing says Massachusetts like a big fatty with a wicked thick Boston accent walking into DD and ordering a large iced coffee with extra cream and extra sugar.
    Posted by darwinawards

Ha ha.  Which of course we know might be a drink, but has no relation to real coffee.Smile

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from acatseye. Show acatseye's posts

In Response to Coffee drinkers: Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts? : If you want watery coffee, coffee that isn't made to your specifications (I like it very dark, and it always comes back light), and often service with a slight language barrier - go to Dunkin Donuts. If you want a consistent, good cup of coffee, that you can add the appropriate amount of 1/2 and 1/2, etc. - go to Starbucks. The staff will also get to know you and what you like. This is a no-contest.
    Posted by GoodCoffee

Nailed it!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Runner02155. Show Runner02155's posts

For a medium coffee, I find Starbucks prices are equal to or cheaper than Dunkin.  I've always been surprised that Starbucks doesn't push the fact that their coffee isn't more expensive (their Lattes and other drinks are).  Plus Starbucks gives me $0.10 off if I bring my own mug.

For me Dunkin isn't strong enough.  Plus I can't get over the fact that they INSIST on adding the milk and sugar.  At Starbucks, I take one brown sugar and one blue one, medium amount of skim milk and a sprinkle of both chocolate and vanilla.  Dunkin could never handle that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harpswell. Show harpswell's posts

In Response to Re: Coffee drinkers: Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts? : Thank you, I'll check it out sometime!
    Posted by nocountryforyoungmen

Good; I think you will like it.  There are a couple of other "local" coffee shops in Salem, but Front Street has the best I think.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from H20TownBob. Show H20TownBob's posts

Starbucks is in a race to the bottom with DD and McDonalds. S'bucks "Pike Place" is a poor excuse for coffee.

The best coffee around IMO is at Peets. Too bad there aren't more of them.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harpswell. Show harpswell's posts

In Response to Coffee drinkers: Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts? : If you want watery coffee, coffee that isn't made to your specifications (I like it very dark, and it always comes back light), and often service with a slight language barrier - go to Dunkin Donuts. If you want a consistent, good cup of coffee, that you can add the appropriate amount of 1/2 and 1/2, etc. - go to Starbucks. The staff will also get to know you and what you like. This is a no-contest.
    Posted by GoodCoffee

I agree.  I love it when I go to my regular SB and they already know what I want before I get to the counter.  "Tall dark, right?"  [My answer: "and handsome and rich"].

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harpswell. Show harpswell's posts

For a medium coffee, I find Starbucks prices are equal to or cheaper than Dunkin.  I've always been surprised that Starbucks doesn't push the fact that their coffee isn't more expensive (their Lattes and other drinks are).  Plus Starbucks gives me $0.10 off if I bring my own mug. For me Dunkin isn't strong enough.  Plus I can't get over the fact that they INSIST on adding the milk and sugar.  At Starbucks, I take one brown sugar and one blue one, medium amount of skim milk and a sprinkle of both chocolate and vanilla.  Dunkin could never handle that.
    Posted by Runner02155

When I first moved out here (pre-Starbucks), I'd go in DD and order my coffee and they would ask "regular?" and I'd say yes.  They'd bring me coffee with cream and sugar.  BARF!! Took me weeks to figure out that we had a (real) language barrier.  "Regular" coffee is black coffee, regular as in REAL, no stuff added.  I finally learned to ask for black, although that remains redundant to me.  In any event, thank God for SB:  "Tall dark please" and if I wanted cream and sugar (I don't) I can add it myself to the proportions I might want.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lama. Show Lama's posts

Neither....DD is awful and Starbucks is overpriced and pretentious.....vente?  WTH.  I prefer just about any small, locally owned coffee shop where the beans are roasted locally, and the atmosphere is neither frenetic (DD) or snobby (SB)
    Posted by eyetye291

its pretentious, but vente refers to the large cup being 20 ounces.  20 in Italian is vente.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I actually find all DDs to be different - different strength coffee, different service, even different prices!!  (Boston prices different from Norwood prices)  So I actually have certain DDs I'll go to and certain ones I won't.

But I'll agree with whoever said there's no coffee like coffee in Italy.  :)  Nothing compares.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tm985. Show tm985's posts

Dunkin Donuts is terrible but since there are so many of them around, it's like McDonald's and you end up settling for it. Starbucks have all but closed down completely except for some that are 15-20 minutes away. I don't know how anyone in their right mind can pick DD over Starbucks, that's like picking McDonald's over the 99.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ihateyou2. Show ihateyou2's posts

Does anyone know the identities of the 35 DDs that still make their own donuts? DD won't tell. Never go to Starbuck's
    Posted by scrambled-eggs

This was quite a few years ago, but I think the one in Pawtucket, RI on the corner of smithfield ave and mineral spring ave made their own. I used to get a coffee roll at around 3am every once in a while and they were just out of the fryer.. 100x better that way

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from harpswell. Show harpswell's posts

Ordering a coffee and donuts is so very complicated I guess I'm just lucky that a language barrier has never turned to tragedy for me at Dunkin Donuts. One time though I took a penny out of the tip jar at Starbucks to avoid getting four pennies back. I was going to put all of my change in the tip jar in any case. But one of the people behind the counter at Startbucks got really upset about my doing that. He said to the person serving me: "Hey, that's our tips." But the xenophobes here will be glad to know that he whined in PERFECT English.
    Posted by trendy

ROFLMBO!!!!!  You are too, TOO funny, and you definitely zinged it.  I was going to go with "nativists" but decided I wouldn't buy into being aggravated.  Still laughing--thanks!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoomersRockToo. Show BoomersRockToo's posts

'Dyed in the Wool' Dunkin Donuts coffee drinker. Large iced coffee once a day whether I need it or not! I have tried and tried Starbucks coffee but it is too strong (and frequently burnt tasting) me. We spent a week in the Outer Banks, NC, and had to buy coffee in a specialty shop and make our own because the coffee down there was even weaker than DD's. I do like Starbucks mugs, insulated cups and Bears though (have a whole collection)!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harpswell. Show harpswell's posts

Only one other thing to add here:  SB pastries and sandwiches are made fresh and delivered on the same day.  Check the date.  And good choices:  a variety of salads, various sandwiches.  Oh yes, and no HFCS.  God only knows when DD pastries and sandwiches were made, and even when I break down and get a sandwich, I don't trust anything but the cheese.  I mean, would you really want an egg on your DD sandwich???

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harpswell. Show harpswell's posts

Dunkin Donuts is terrible but since there are so many of them around, it's like McDonald's and you end up settling for it. Starbucks have all but closed down completely except for some that are 15-20 minutes away. I don't know how anyone in their right mind can pick DD over Starbucks, that's like picking McDonald's over the 99.
    Posted by tm985

Never, ever settle.  You deserve better.Wink

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jomarch. Show jomarch's posts

I like Peet's the best. DD coffee tastes like dishwater, and Starbucks tried re-inventing the English language. I usually try to seek out the mom and pop places.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Only one other thing to add here:  SB pastries and sandwiches are made fresh and delivered on the same day.  Check the date. 
    Posted by harpswell

I find this hard to believe, because more than once I've ordered something from the food window at SB (several different SBs) and it's been moldy.  Yell  I won't order food there ever again.