Coffee drinkers: Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from transplantedNYer. Show transplantedNYer's posts

Re: Coffee drinkers: Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts?

I go to local coffee shops whenever possible. JP Licks, Boston Common, City Feed in JP. Dunkin Donuts is gross & Starbucks is annoyingly corporate.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneMoreBicycle. Show OneMoreBicycle's posts

Guess what? Caffeine meets every criteria of an addictive drug. It is the gateway drug for our kids. Wake up. Without the beans. People.

I can be neutral on the issue of preference b/c I don't drink coffee. So follow me rogue here and talk sourcing, impact and politics. Where are the beans from, and are the people farming these beans paid fairly? Whose product results in the most / worst pollution, on a cup-for-cup basis? Where do the profits go, and what policies do these two chains support?

Food choice is the #1 way to help the world, your neighbors, and your health. Drugs? Be wise in your choices. You are what you eat. Or drink. Or think.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yoyodenny. Show yoyodenny's posts

Peet's!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TaxPayerInMA. Show TaxPayerInMA's posts

Dunkin' Donuts has 6 locations in Milford, MA, yes 6, and each is a total letdown. I can go through the drive through and order something- anything- and they will get it wrong at their Fortune Boulevard location, and they will always get it wrong. They do this EVERY TIME! The same has become the norm for sandwiches at their location in Boxborough - If you ask for anything outside of the normal preparation process, your order will get messed up.

No cheeze? Don't want it toasted? Be prepared, because you are getting both.

Order accuracy is where the small mom-n-pop shops shine compared to DD.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GrabberOrange. Show GrabberOrange's posts

Starbucks food gives me irritables and hurts my heart afterwords.

And its not always fresh. The SB in Barnes and Nobel gets their shipment once a week and remains frozen till needed that day. I used to work there. Not in the SB, that would have been torture for all.

Starbucks used to be posh now its a zoo for misfit people. Nothing says good eats like a Grizzly Adams lookn 16 yr old making my coffee with the sass of Bea Arthur.

The armchairs they have look like Jackson Pollock paintings with all the stains and it smells like some old person died in it.

With Dunkins your in out and on with life. At Starbucks you stew, marrinate for awhile.

Though I do love when they ask for your name.

"Call me Ishmael" LOL

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Highandinside. Show Highandinside's posts

Neither... I like dark roast black coffee. No milk, no cream, no sugar, no frou-frou stuff.  Just coffee.

A canister of Trader Joe's Dark Organic Sumatra costs about the same as two coffees at Starbucks and I can drink coffee for almost a month.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnholden. Show johnholden's posts

Neither

This poll lacks the most obvious response... 'Neither'. Both have obvious problems and I don't go to either. I make my own coffee, buy it at a local cafe or get it from work.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from boatgirl. Show boatgirl's posts

DD all the way!  I liked flavored coffee,  not coffee with flavored syrup like you get at Starbucks.  And everytime I go to Starbuck's to get something fancy, they get it wrong.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from neptoon10. Show neptoon10's posts

Starbucks' "Hand-crafted" drinks to me is just a bunch of caffeine, sugar and fat in a cup, which makes me feel horrible for the rest of the day (never had DD premium drinks). I usually go for the drip option when I order.

From trying the drip at a wide range of places, I've found the following:
    (1) Peet's is the best for flavor (although this rocket-fuel makes me edgy afterwards)
    (2) DD is passable when factoring in the price.
    (3) Starbucks' is undrinkable, often bitter and sour from the over-roasting they do of mediocre beans. From actually visiting Starbucks' offices in Seattle and meeting with their management, there is nothing special about the beans they buy and I find their bean roasting techniques to be horrible.
    (4) McDonald's is okay for an inexpensive cup.
    (5) Often the local breakfast place has a good cup.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bri-sox. Show bri-sox's posts

Missing the Starbucks in Target Stores

This is a great map, but the Starbucks inside the Target store in Easton isnt here.  Are other Target stores included?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoyousLife. Show JoyousLife's posts

Well, I can get an enormous iced coffee for $2.50ish at Dunkins', that tastes fantastic and fresh, as opposed to a dark and bitter tasting "large" size that's less than half the size at Starbuck's for $6-7..the process to order and pickup seems more efficient as well.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonreadercomments. Show bostonreadercomments's posts

neither

DD makes no pretensions to being green, or eco-friendly, or environmentally conscious, or whatever the trendy hip word of the day for doing the right thing is, so it makes sense that they don't offer a refill of your own mug at a discount price.

Starbuck's, by stark contrast, wraps itself in the cloak of being the uber-citizen of the planet, and then attempts to stuff it down your throat and suffocate you with it. If you give them your own mug, though, and ask for a refill, they proceed to attempt to compute with a nuclear engineer's precision how your mug translates to one of their sizes, charges you for that size, and only after that, do they cheerfully offer a $.15 discount. What terrific global stewardship!

true story: I once did this, and the 'barista' actually filled a Starbuck's paper cup with coffee, poured it into my cup, and then threw the cup away. I said, "Dude, you know what? You've missed the point. Keep the coffee." He was stunned.

Rather than being insulted/nickel and dimed and being taught how small/medium/large translate into Ital/pretentious, then, I go to Au Bon Pain, where any size mug refill is $1.25, the coffee is always great, and I give business to a company that doesn't choke you with its self-proclaimed sustainability policies/initiatives, but very simply (and very quietly) does what makes the most sense.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rockin3. Show rockin3's posts

I'm team Honey Dew, actually. I prefer flavored beans rather than Starbucks flavored syrup. 
    But if it's just between Dunks and Starbucks, I like the taste of Starbucks better. 
    I'm surprised about the comment in regards to moldy Starbucks food! I get their bread now and then and have never had a problem with it. Dunkin's donuts don't tempt me anymore, as most of the time they taste stale! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from scrumpwell. Show scrumpwell's posts

McCoffee rocks, it's a MUCH better value than either of the overpriced chains in the poll.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from oneyellowrose. Show oneyellowrose's posts

In Response to Re: Coffee drinkers: Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts?:
    DD coffee is garbage.  It's weak as hell and tastes burned.  Most of the people who frequent DD don't notice it because they pollute their joe with milk and a pound of sugar.  If you drink coffee black, which is how it's supposed to be drank, Starbucks is the hands down winner over DD. 
    Posted by johnjabor

I brew my own coffee with Dunkin Donuts beans and able to regulate the taste to my liking.  I like Vermont's Green Mountain and also 8 o'clock beans.

When I am out, I always go to Dunkin Donuts. I do not pollute my coffee with milk, cream or a pound of sugar.  I drink it black and it does not taste burnt. 

Thank you but I can notice the difference.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from atjazz. Show atjazz's posts

I teach a brand management course at Babson College. At mid-semester I hand out a graded exercise called the coffee wars asking students to identify and predict the ultimate winner of the "Coffee Wars" in the US market; relying on the tools of the course to support their answers. Each semester, of the 75 students who are questioned -- there is abolsutely NO pattern in the choice of winner. McD's, Starbucks, and DD all share the podium -- supported by sound brand management principles.
    Its a great learning exercise and like many marketing questions; have no finite answers.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from gsph1978. Show gsph1978's posts

Dunkin Donuts, hands down! Fresher, fuller, less acidic, not burnt, and far more accessible.
    mdh

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxWithCoffee. Show SoxWithCoffee's posts

DD tastes like water. SB tastes like coffee

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

DD verse SB? - Neither.
    I brew my own at home, and I like it strong. I buy large bags at Costco of the DD brand. My brewed coffee is consistent every time and we all speak English here. We all bring  our coffee with us to our work place.
    I also brew Trader Joe's Coffee. Either French Roast or Costa Rica. I switch in between them and the DD not to get tired of the same old stuff.
    SB - I don't like much. It is strong but too bitter for me. The only one I can deal with there is their Cappuccino, while reading magazine at B & N. But now, I have my own Cappuccino maker, so I haven't gone there for a very long time. I guess I am saving quite a bit of money, but getting much better coffee.

ETA. I read a lot of complaints of both DD and SB. Why do you keep going there? Don't you have a coffee maker at home? You do not need a fancy machine to brew coffee. Even a cheap stove top one will do.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccmom2. Show ccmom2's posts

I love DD for a regular coffee but Starbucks as a treat. I love their White chocolate mocha.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LassKerry. Show LassKerry's posts

Ever since Bain Capital bought DD, I have refused to spend one cent there.   I have better things to do with my life than to contribute to any business that supports right-wing Republicans and frauds like Mitt Romney.

Starbucks?   I like it, and I do miss DD.   But I don't want to contribute to a company that believes in buying up struggling companies, firing its employees, hiring them back at subsistence wages, slashing their health care coverage, shipping portions of the company's manufacturing overseas to China and Pakistan and India, and then selling the firm for a profit --- all based on robbing simple, hard-working people of their livelihoods and dignity.

When I see construction workers at 6am at a Dunkin Donuts loading up for the day, I feel sad that they don't realize that they're contributing to a company that, in the end, is dedicated to destroying their jobs.

Sad, very sad.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Like others, I brew at home. We have a K-cup machine and we buy the extra bold cups.  I like the convenience of popping in just one cup in the morning instead of wasting many cups of coffee like I used to do with a regular machine.  A bit more expensive than buying a bag perhaps, but worth it.  

On the SB-DD front, if I do stop for a coffee when I am out, I usually hit up SB.  I like my coffee strong, DD tastes like water,and if you ask them to add cream, they go waaay overboard. Though DD ice coffee is pretty good.   If I want a latte, SB is your only choice.  And really? MCDonald's for coffee?? I wouldn't even call it that. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

July, are you aware that a small, permanent pod you can fill w/ your own coffee grounds is available? My neighbor uses one.

In Response to Re: Coffee drinkers: Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts?:
    Like others, I brew at home. We have a K-cup machine and we buy the extra bold cups.  I like the convenience of popping in just one cup in the morning instead of wasting many cups of coffee like I used to do with a regular machine.  A bit more expensive than buying a bag perhaps, but worth it.   On the SB-DD front, if I do stop for a coffee when I am out, I usually hit up SB.  I like my coffee strong, DD tastes like water,and if you ask them to add cream, they go waaay overboard. Though DD ice coffee is pretty good.   If I want a latte, SB is your only choice.  And really? MCDonald's for coffee?? I wouldn't even call it that. 
    Posted by ajuly09

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Yep, ours came with one. It doesn't come out quite strong enough, but it does the job. I use it when we run out of kcups. We order the k cups on line and they're much cheaper than getting them in the store.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mezzogal1124. Show mezzogal1124's posts

If I have to choose between these 2 options, definitely Starbucks.  DD tastes weak and burnt to me.  But what I brew at home is Peet's, and I seek out a Peet's whenever I can find one.  I think their coffee is superior to Starbucks.

Sections
Shortcuts