Comfort Food from Scratch

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

Now that its cold out I'm in the dinner-making mode. I'm planning on Beef Stew tonight... any suggestions for a non-complicated from scratch recipe or something equally yummy & wholesome?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

easy beef stew:
    roll small pieces of beef in flour, salt, pepper
    brown beef in olive oil
    Add water, red wine, bay leaf, whatever herbs you like (I like thyme) and two beef boullion cubes.
    Cook until beef is done (45 minutes to an hour).
    Add carrots and potatoes
    Cook until carrots are soft (about 15 minutes). OK to serve now unless you want to get fancy.
    Optional: add mushrooms or zuchini or brocolli or green beans or a can of corn or a can of tomatos to make different varieties. cook until veggies are done and serve.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from beniceboston. Show beniceboston's posts

I didnt have any boullion cubes so I just used beef broth, but it came out pretty good & the beef was really tender. I added sweet baby peas & onion also.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

Glad it came out well. It is sooo easy and so easy to make it special. Instead of wine you can use apple cider or beer for different flavors.

Add green peppers or hot peppers or root vegetables or whatever you like.

You could add noodles or rice to make it a one stop meal.

You can add garlic or hot sauce for a kick, or add Mexican or Hungarian or Russian flavors to change the whole feel.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OldManRiver. Show OldManRiver's posts

Lizabetti uses Guiness in her stew, which gives a really great flavor.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

I made clam chowder earlier this week. So much easier than I thought it would be.
    First I browned some small bits of salt pork, but you could easily use bacon instead.
    Scooped out the meat and left the drippings.
    Add half an onion and several stalks of celery to the pan and cook until translucent.
    Drained 51oz can of clams (no, I didn't shuck them myself). Set aside clams.
    Put clam juice in pot and add 3 potatoes chopped in bite-size pieces. Cook until potatoes are tender along with two bay leaves. Add sautéed vegetables.
    With juices remaining in pan, add three or four tablespoons of butter and three tablespoons of flour. Cook for three minutes stirring continually. Add in three cups of half and half (or milk it you like it thinner). Stir until heated through and add to pot. Add clams. Cook for five minutes and you are all set.
    I serve with cajun pepper sauce.

So much easier and quicker than I thought it would be. Definitely comfort food for us!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

[Quote]I made clam chowder earlier this week. So much easier than I thought it would be.
    First I browned some small bits of salt pork, but you could easily use bacon instead.
    Scooped out the meat and left the drippings.
    Add half an onion and several stalks of celery to the pan and cook until translucent.
    Drained 51oz can of clams (no, I didn't shuck them myself). Set aside clams.
    Put clam juice in pot and add 3 potatoes chopped in bite-size pieces. Cook until potatoes are tender along with two bay leaves. Add sautéed vegetables.
    With juices remaining in pan, add three or four tablespoons of butter and three tablespoons of flour. Cook for three minutes stirring continually. Add in three cups of half and half (or milk it you like it thinner). Stir until heated through and add to pot. Add clams. Cook for five minutes and you are all set.
    I serve with cajun pepper sauce.

So much easier and quicker than I thought it would be. Definitely comfort food for us![/Quote]

Circles - that's the best written chowder recipe I've ever seen! I kept it. Usually, the recipe leaves out the use for the fat or how to cook the potatoes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Circles and AB - 51 ounces of clams??? Are you serious??
    I would love to do your recipe, as clam chowder is on of our favorites. Please enlighten me and say it is a typo.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

Thank you so much :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

[Quote]Circles and AB - 51 ounces of clams??? Are you serious??
    I would love to do your recipe, as clam chowder is on of our favorites. Please enlighten me and say it is a typo.[/Quote]

Gotta be 15 - yes?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

Not a typo. It is 51 ounces. Costco can ;)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Txgrl82. Show Txgrl82's posts

[Quote]Lizabetti uses Guiness in her stew, which gives a really great flavor.[/Quote]

OMR- Just wanted to let you know I made the French Onion Soup this weekend and everyone loved it! My sister was excited to tell her non-beef eating boyfriend that he can now eat French Onion Soup again and it tastes as good as the original. I upped the red wine by 1/4 cup per recipe (I doubled the recipe), omitted the mushrooms and instead cooked the onions in butter. It came out great! I will definitely be making this again.

Thanks for a great recipe!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

[Quote]Not a typo. It is 51 ounces. Costco can ;)[/Quote]

Boy, you sure like clams!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

Guilty as charged. I don't have them very often, but I do enjoy them quite a bit.
    You could well make it with less clams. You may just need to add a small jar of clam juice.

Sections
Shortcuts