Costa Rican Recipes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnath. Show johnath's posts

Costa Rican Recipes

Go to the�www.foodnetwork.com/ They have many choices.�Have the produce person help you pick plantains.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OldManRiver. Show OldManRiver's posts

Costa Rican Recipes

Sounds a bit like the food in the Cayman Islands. I do love the fried plantain. Has anyone tried grilling it? Is it firm enough to stand up to a fire on its own ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from romanticf16. Show romanticf16's posts

Costa Rican Recipes

I just watched a "Dinner Impossible" episode where Chef Robert Ervine was in Puerto Rico, cooking for a Quinterra. They did a mashed plantain dish. Perhaps you can reference this program on the Food Network for ideas/recipies?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eng7. Show Eng7's posts

Costa Rican Recipes

I have lived in Central America for 30 years. Plantains can be fried when they are green (usually in thin slices and are eaten much as potato chips are eaten in US) or semi-ripe or ripe. The riper they are, the sweeter they are. Salt is not usually added if they are ripe.
    Semi-ripe and ripe plantains can also be baked or micro-waved. (the blacker the peel, the riper they are) Peel the plantain, slice about half-way down and put dots of butter or margarine in them. Sprinkle a bit of brown sugar and cinnamon on them and bake for about 20-30 min or microwave for about 10. Just check them and when they are golden on top, they are ready.
    By the way, where do you find plantains in Boston? My daughter lives there and I know she would love to be able to buy and cook some.