Do you eat in the car?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from northshoredude. Show northshoredude's posts

Re: Do you eat in the car?

The poll is obviously unscientific but I find it outrageously funny that the questions target a certain demographic while the people answering the poll are a completely different demographic. It shows that the Globe doesn't know it's own readership.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kalafish. Show kalafish's posts

It's not just about eating in the car.  Whether you are using your phone, eating, reading, shaving, applying makeup, yelling at the kids or sleeping (yes, sleeping) - it's a distraction from driving.  If you do this, you run the risk of getting in an accident.  If everyone just paid attention, there would be lot less acccidents.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksammakko660. Show ksammakko660's posts

Yes I am guilty of eating in the car on long road trip. If it is a four to nine hour drive, I will have a coffee and some snack food. Usually I go for carrot sticks which I make bite size so they are easy to grab.

However just driving locally like just to work, I don't bother with food. I can go without until I get to the office in 30 minutes.

Now caught in traffic and going nowhere, yes the carrot sticks come back out

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from IheartSoccer. Show IheartSoccer's posts

I was walking near work in downtown Boston this past summer.  I did a double-take at a car slowly moving by me due to traffic.  A woman was driving, eating a bowl of noodles, which was resting between her knee and the steering wheel, and was using chopsticks. How come that didn't make the list?!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from drinkmilk. Show drinkmilk's posts

One of my most favorite things is Dashboard Hors D'oeuvres!Kiss

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dan01772. Show dan01772's posts

I think that insurance institute missed the mark. Here is my list of
    Foods to Avoid Eating While Driving:

Live Eels
    Lobster
    Sushi
    Spaghetti
    Peking Duck
    Pheasant Under Glass

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from drinkmilk. Show drinkmilk's posts

Do you watch TV or read the Newspaper while driving

I see this far too often driving all over MA - I am shocked everytime -   Talk about distraction!Surprised

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lauriats. Show lauriats's posts

I like to eat fondue while I am driving.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SettleDownNow. Show SettleDownNow's posts

Dan01772 & Lauriats --
    Thanks for the laugh, man!  I haven't laughed that hard in a while!  Laughing
    That was exactly my point in my earlier post...
    I should add to your list:
    Paella
    Tonkatsu Ramen
    Moussaka
    Kim Chee
    Chicken a la King
    Split pea Soup

Very, very dangerous foods....all of them!  If I catch any of you driving down 93 South, the Masspike, Route 129, Route 2, Abenaki Street, Johnson Way, or Elm Street (just to mention a random few) while eating any of these foods, I am making a citizen's arrest right away!  Beware!!!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

In Response to Re: Do you eat in the car?:
    [QUOTE]There is a woman that drives a blue subaru on 93 South every morning into Boston that eats ceral out of a bowl while driving.  I have seen her several times with the ceral bowl balanced on the wheel while she eats and drives.
    Posted by Leep2[/QUOTE]

That's unbelieveable!  She's probably manages people too!  What a loser.  At least eat a Pop Tart.  Cereal in bowl, I've heard it all now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from egrd. Show egrd's posts

What I really hate is drivers in front of me throwing a lit cigarettebutt out their window. Maybe loud honking will be a deterrent to their car or mine catching on fire.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFan401. Show SoxFan401's posts

Ummm...if you have difficulty eating a sandwich or drinking coffee while driving a car...then you probably have some major neurological problems anyway. What's next...banning chewing gum and walking? Get real.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL5000. Show AL5000's posts

I have a deep-fryer mounted to my dashboard!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzardBoots. Show BuzzardBoots's posts

Who eats this stuff in this poll?  Barbecue?  Fried Chicken?  Seriously?? I know it was done by a Michigan Insurance company - but c'mon...

In all seriousness, though, it's probably not taking a bite of the sandwich or the burger that's the issue.  The danger is when the bread/bun flips open and a ketchup-covered pickle falls out and onto lands on the driver's clothing.  Same with hot coffee, soda, etc... Yes, it's simple to take a sip of soda from a bottle but the instinct when it is spilled is to wipe it off.

That's the distraction

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sophie08. Show Sophie08's posts

[QUOTE]I like a full thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings while I'm driving. Turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, those green beens covered with onion rings - everything. Followed by pie and ice cream.
    Posted by MedfordMickey[/QUOTE]

Your post is the best so far.  LOL

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sophie08. Show Sophie08's posts

It is nice to see that people posting here have a great sense of humor. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Curiositykilledthecat. Show Curiositykilledthecat's posts

[QUOTE]There is a woman that drives a blue subaru on 93 South every morning into Boston that eats ceral out of a bowl while driving.  I have seen her several times with the ceral bowl balanced on the wheel while she eats and drives.
    Posted by Leep2[/QUOTE]

OMG - same story, different road, and I thought I was the only one to witness this unreal behavior. Last week, a woman driving a Honda on Route 2 West through Arlington/Lexington had a cup of cereal in her hands balanced on the wheel, as she ate with a spoon, hunched over the wheel, AND changed lanes repeatedly about 10 miles above the speed limit!

I hate to say it, but I wished she would have lost control of her car or a cop would have driven by.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from coffeesnob. Show coffeesnob's posts

In Response to Do you eat in the car?:
    [QUOTE]Do you multi-task behind the wheel with lunch? Do you casually snack in the car? Or is your car a food-free zone?  Do you look down on others who do choose to munch and steer? Share your food in the car stories!
    Posted by BostonDotCom[/QUOTE]
    Yes, I eat in the car

When commuting to school from Salem to Providence my only meal would have to be in the car.  Working full time, schoool full time left few choices other than a Luna bar and a coffee between work & school or some fast food take out on the way home.  I always selected non-drippy things, dry and easy to eat without looking at them.

As for cell phone use, I cannot tell you how many times I reached out to friends via cell phone while commuting to help keep me engaged with the world and from dozing off behind the wheel. 

When burning the candle at both ends, as I did when I was in college, both meals in the car and cell phone use while driving helped keep me alive.

Texting while driving is just plain foolish.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Ditto.  I've never seen a dangerous driver ahead of me and passed them only to see that they are chomping on a burger.  Cell phone talkers and texters and ipod fiddlers.  Those are the idiot drivers.

[QUOTE]My beef (no pun intended) remains with cell phones.  I drive alot on the Pike and every time I spot someone who's driving is off (what I mean is not in the flow of traffic or slightly wavering) when I pass they are always .... and I mean always on a cell phone.  The other day a vehicle was in the center lane traveling about 50 miles an hour.  Not a crime but certainly well under the average spped that day.  When I caught and passed the vehicle, a man, who appeared to be in his mid fifties, was driving left hand on the wheel and right hand holding a cell phone at eye level punching away at the key pad.  On the pike!.  Jeez take the time time to use a speed dial.  I think hands free should become standard operating equipment (like a heater) in cars.  Cell phones aren't going away and virtually half the cars I see someone is yakking away.  As for food, I'd like to see these peoples cars and homes as they must be complete slobs to begin with. 
    Posted by schwank[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts