Do you eat in the car?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Do you eat in the car?

Do you multi-task behind the wheel with lunch? Do you casually snack in the car? Or is your car a food-free zone?  Do you look down on others who do choose to munch and steer? Share your food in the car stories!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from acapewell. Show acapewell's posts

Re: Do you eat in the car?

Think of it.  Early on in the decline of Americanism, we had to go to dual income to maintain the real wages of the 50's.  We then went to long hours.  Now it's two or more income streams per spouse.  It's easy to see this evolution. American-style Capitalism is creeping into every crevice of our personal time and thinking.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sophie08. Show Sophie08's posts

My late husband use to eat in the car but he would not be driving because it was too distracting for him.  Tongue out  He would either go into a restaurant or just park the car until he was finished.  I found it very distracting to eat and try to drive at the same time.  Cool  What bothered me was him using his cell phone while driving, playing with the radio, alot of times just not paying attention to his driving.Surprised

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southerngentleman. Show southerngentleman's posts

"Never, I find it repulsive" is a poor choice.  How about "rarely" and/or "never".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeland. Show mikeland's posts

I highly doubt eating is a bigger distraction than texting. To be honest, I've texted while driving, just quick one word replies (and even that is stupid), and I have eaten while on the road. By far, eating is much easier, and less distracting. 

That said, I almost got creamed the other day - a women blew through a stop sign at a local shopping center. As she barely missed me, I could see she was eating a yogurt, and talking on the phone. The phone was jammed against her shoulder and ear, and she was spooning the yogurt into her mouth. So yeah, I guess THAT could be a distraction.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoomersRockToo. Show BoomersRockToo's posts

Yep! Runnin' on Dunkin!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from infoferret. Show infoferret's posts

I don't spend that much time in the car, but I sometimes do eat hand held things that don't demand a lot of attention.

This is not a new problem - in fact, I believe that MA law forbade eating while driving at one point.  I do know that there was something about it being a bad idea in the driver's manual c.a. 1989.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrtsherman. Show mrtsherman's posts

This is new news? Last I recall I've been able eat food from a drive through for the last thirty years.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from YouAreAllMySons. Show YouAreAllMySons's posts

Uh oh, this calls for our SuperLegislators!  Where's Steve Tolman when you need him?  He needs to come and save us from the dangers of eating by passing Legislation!

Where are our Legislators to protect us from ourselves?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from marosoce. Show marosoce's posts

It is ILLEGAL in MASS to eat while driving.  I was in an accident, my food was everywhere and I got a $25 Ticket for "eating while driving".  It is  also illegal in Mass to Light a  SMOKE while driving.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rastaman. Show rastaman's posts

What are the cup holders for then?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Common-Man. Show Common-Man's posts

after this, what's the next intrusive question?  do you change the station on your radio?  if so, you could be endangering the public.  Are you kidding me?!?! 

Try focussing on important issues, maybe this is why the Globe keeps losing their readers.

In Response to Do you eat in the car?:
    [QUOTE]Do you multi-task behind the wheel with lunch? Do you casually snack in the car? Or is your car a food-free zone?  Do you look down on others who do choose to munch and steer? Share your food in the car stories!
    Posted by BostonDotCom[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SettleDownNow. Show SettleDownNow's posts

Does anyone else here think this is a stupid question?  Eat what?  Dinner from a plate with a fork and knife?  Of course its distracting!  A burger?  Yeah, that might be distracting, especially if you spill on yourself.  A chocolate bar?  No more distracting than changing the radio station in the car.  Can we be a little more precise, or are we going to have a dumb conversation about some vague concept that means completely different things depending on how you define it.  Do I "look down on others who do choose to munch and steer?"  What an asinine and inane question!  You want to know my thoughts?  I am doubting whether this is actually a professional media publication or a high school newspaper.  Those are my thoughts. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frankenstien. Show Frankenstien's posts

Back in the early 90's I lived in an apartment on a busy city street. I lived there 2 years. During this time there were 4 really bad car crashes. Three of them were caused by people who claimed they were distracted by changing stations on their radios and drove into parked cars. The 4rth was a young woman who was a competitive figure skater who worked a late night job in addition to her training. She fell asleep while driving. Is food a distraction to the driver? It is if the kids in the back seat are throwing it at him. These days fast food joints can't get the order right so many people end up with an ordeal rather than a meal.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

My beef (no pun intended) remains with cell phones.  I drive alot on the Pike and every time I spot someone who's driving is off (what I mean is not in the flow of traffic or slightly wavering) when I pass they are always .... and I mean always on a cell phone.  The other day a vehicle was in the center lane traveling about 50 miles an hour.  Not a crime but certainly well under the average spped that day.  When I caught and passed the vehicle, a man, who appeared to be in his mid fifties, was driving left hand on the wheel and right hand holding a cell phone at eye level punching away at the key pad.  On the pike!.  Jeez take the time time to use a speed dial. 

I think hands free should become standard operating equipment (like a heater) in cars.  Cell phones aren't going away and virtually half the cars I see someone is yakking away.  As for food, I'd like to see these peoples cars and homes as they must be complete slobs to begin with. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulacton. Show paulacton's posts

This is a nonsense issue drummed up by those who are trying to justify cell phone use while driving. A person can eat and drink and keep 100% of their mind on driving.  Engaging in a telephone conversation is fundamentally different and takes mental attention away from driving,  it uses several centers in the brain that are also required by driving.  Its about where your mind is, not where your hands are.  And don't say that cell phone use is no different than talking with a passenger, talking on the phone is a completely different mental activity than engaging in a person to person conversation because we don't have the ability to engage in non verbal communication and we don't have the same level of ability to be silent and comtemplative.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Allondra803. Show Allondra803's posts

First cellphones and texting, now eating in a car while driving is under fire. What's next?  Makeup application? Shaving??   I dream of a world where not only can I talk on my cell, text, shave and mascara but also fax, make french fries, and shower.  Some day. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from furpurrson. Show furpurrson's posts

Just. Don't. Do. It. Keep your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road. Nothing is more important than avoiding injury or death to yourself or someone else.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rjgjr082366. Show rjgjr082366's posts

Where did the rule go from my drivers ed classes that said it was against the law to do anything besides drive a car. To eating/drinking talking on a phone period. I am waiting for the day I get rearended bye someone on a cell phone. That is the day I call a lawyer.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leep2. Show Leep2's posts

There is a woman that drives a blue subaru on 93 South every morning into Boston that eats ceral out of a bowl while driving.  I have seen her several times with the ceral bowl balanced on the wheel while she eats and drives.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BenWhite. Show BenWhite's posts

Only if I am not driving!

Lesson Learned: Do not eat thinly-sliced turkey and tomato pocket while driving.

Some years ago, when I was an EMT, I came upon an accident where a woman was eating a turkey and tomato pocket while driving. Another car distracted her at an intersection and she lost control, hitting the porch of a house after taking out a chain link fence.

Her sandwich was spattered all over the windshield. She was convinced as was I initially, that her brains were spattered all over. Mercifully, she kept fainting.

She was shaken up and fine, some bruising from the seat belt and air bag, but fine. So, no. Eating while driving can go beyond gross.Cool

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

If I remember correctly the Driver's Manual says, "Keep both hands on your steering wheel, as in 10 after 10 o'clock". How can you do that eating, texting etc.?
    I am so fed up with cellphone drivers. A dear friend of mine was on her way to her daughter's wedding, when some idiot hit her coming out from a McD - eating fries AND talking on his cellphone. The wedding was postponed for an hour plus, while she went to ER to be stitched up, and someone went to her home to get another dress for her. Mind you not exactly the "dream dress for the MOB" she had paid $$$ to wear. Bless the doctors, the priest, the church and the venue. While waiting, we were served apps and refreshments in the church hall downstairs. Complimentary by the venue. And the wedding went on as planned but late. Fortunately no one was seriously hurt.
    I think any distraction to your driving should be banned. Period!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Why don' t you take down her license number and report her? Not only is it agaist the law, but she is danger not only to her self but to everyone else on the road.

In Response to Re: Do you eat in the car?:
    [QUOTE]There is a woman that drives a blue subaru on 93 South every morning into Boston that eats ceral out of a bowl while driving.  I have seen her several times with the ceral bowl balanced on the wheel while she eats and drives.
    Posted by Leep2[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from myron1958. Show myron1958's posts

I tried eating in the car once...but it was tough to get a waiter to chase me down Storrow Drive.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from eveSS. Show eveSS's posts

Wow, that burger looked good!!!!
    If I could eat it while I drive I would. The point is... I spent 3 hours daily in traffic for what should be only 30-45 min per day. And I am not taking 93 EVER AGAIN. You would think you can JUST DRIVE around 10pm at night. I wish I could do something useful during that time. Now, you CAN see woman eating a bowl of cereal, but can you see me singing like crazy and, oh yes! daydreaming. With 1 mile per hour I say multitasking is a way to go, or I will go crazy with road-rage. Try to make daydreaming while driving illegal, I dare you! Tongue out