Favorite mac and cheese recipes?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[Quote]Years ago I clipped a mac and cheese recipe from Martha Stewart Living and it had a very strong unusual cheese I had never cooked with before. I hate that I lost it because it was the best Mac and Cheese ever. Ring a bell with anyone? I'd love to find that recipe again.[/Quote]

Here it is, I'm pretty sure - and it was gruyere. :)

Martha Stewart's Mac and Cheese

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PruTower. Show PruTower's posts

The best I've had was from a restaurant right off the green-line subway. Either C or D line. Can't remember the name but it was a pub style and boasted its products being made from monks or something.

Anyways, it had artisan cheeses and sauted onions. Perfect. Huge portion, sharp flavor, and with all the cheese and fats it didn't give anyone a stomach ache.

Mmmm artisan cheese Mac & Cheese.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyfan27. Show hockeyfan27's posts

For those of you who love macaroni and cheese but don't want the fat, this recipe is remarkably healthy and tastes just like the real thing only far more nutritious and virtually fat free!

3 cups whole wheat macaroni
    ½ cup margarine
    ½ cup flour
    2 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoon garlic powder
    a pinch of turmeric
    2 tablespoon soy sauce
    1 cup nutritional yeast flakes
    ¼ cup oil
    1 or 2 peppers, chopped (optional)
    1/2 Cup crimini mushrooms (optional)
    Paprika to taste

Preheat oven to 350F.

Start boiling water in a pot for macaroni. Also,
    boil 3 cups of water in a teapot for making the
    sauce. When water boils, cook macaroni, stirring
    occasionally.

In a medium saucepan, melt margarine over medium
    heat. Stir in flour. When it has reached an even,
    bubbly consistency, stir in boiling water from
    teapot. Reduce heat to low. Stir until smooth
    again and add garlic, salt, turmeric, and soy
    sauce. Then slowly fold in nutritional yeast
    flakes and oil and stir until smooth. Mix the
    peppers and/or mushrooms in.

When finished, drain the macaroni. In a casserole
    dish (or other dish that can go into the oven),
    mix the sauce into the macaroni. Sprinkle paprika
    on top.

Cook for 15 minutes at 350F and then for 5 minutes
    on "broil".

Enjoy!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Bmntywish, if you like Stouffer's, try Trader Joe's. It's that style, but a lot richer and yummier, we think. It's also frozen.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Any baked mac and cheese (unless it's just literally mac and grated cheese) can get an unobtrusive nutritional boost by stirring in a couple of grated zucchinis to the cheese sauce. It doesn't impact the flavor or texture much, but it adds vitamins and fiber. Also, replace white pasta with whole wheat for a texture and nutrition upgrade, too. I use 2% milkfat cheese, and 2% milk. It's just as creamy as you could want it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[Quote]making a basic cheese sauce (I'm not a fan of cheddar) and adding it to short pasta shapes - (elbows, penne/ziti rigate, little shells), is awesomeness in a pan in any form. I remember my mom making a cheese sauce using american cheese, munster, and some grated romano on little shells, then she added spinach. it was soooo good, but never duplicated ever again! bummer. I tried.[/Quote]

I'd try Rachel Ray's baked mac & cheese, and instead of cheddar, use your cheeses in this ratio:

10% Romano
    60% munster
    30% American

Of course, make sure spinach is cooked and squeeze really dry. Stir it into her recipe; it won't change bake time or anything.

P.S. Oops, here's her recipe.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeasyII. Show LeasyII's posts

making a basic cheese sauce (I'm not a fan of cheddar) and adding it to short pasta shapes - (elbows, penne/ziti rigate, little shells), is awesomeness in a pan in any form. I remember my mom making a cheese sauce using american cheese, munster, and some grated romano on little shells, then she added spinach. it was soooo good, but never duplicated ever again! bummer. I tried.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[Quote]Years ago I clipped a mac and cheese recipe from Martha Stewart Living and it had a very strong unusual cheese I had never cooked with before. I hate that I lost it because it was the best Mac and Cheese ever. Ring a bell with anyone? I'd love to find that recipe again.[/Quote]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Was it Gruyere? It's a very strong Swiss-like cheese. The other, more traditionally "strong" cheeses are blue veined, and I bet those aren't it for Mac & Cheese.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from alexbeam. Show alexbeam's posts

Mac and cheese should be mac and cheese, not any old pasta and white sauce. cook elbow macaroni until al dente, toss with butter, fold in shredded or grated sharp cheddar - then, if you really want to make it fancy, put it in an oven pan, top with lots more cheese (feel free to combine cheddar with your favorite other cheeses), brown some bread crumbs and/or crushed ritz crackers in butter, toss loosely on top of the extra cheese and leave it in the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbling. mmmmm, mmmmm good!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bmntywlsh55. Show Bmntywlsh55's posts

I don't know about mac and cheese recipes but we like Stouffer's mac and cheese. Frozen then microwaved.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

BTW, for those interested, I recently had one of the best mac & cheese recipes (includes grilled chicken) I've ever tasted at the Georgetown Grille in Georgetown, MA. The menu stated it was a 4th-generation recipe, and the care and attention put into the dish was evident.

Great Job, Georgetown Grille!! (No, I don't work there; I just love mac & cheese.)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Do you love mac and cheese? Check out these recipes and share your own. Where are your favorite Boston-area restaurants to get mac and cheese?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Hi SuzieR,

Sorry for the double posts, I'm hitting some wrong button this morning --

Anyway, maybe if you go to Martha Stewart Living website and "search" for mac and cheese it would bring up the one you're looking for. Worth a try.

tt

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frolic. Show Frolic's posts

First off,I'll be honest the following recipe is from a person in Philly who owns a restaurant there. It is by far the best I have ever had.

SERVES 6 -8
    2 lbs elbow macaroni
    1 1/2 quarts half-and-half
    3 cups yellow sharp cheddar cheese
    2 cups extra-sharp white cheddar cheese
    1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese
    1 cup asiago cheese
    1 cup monterey jack cheese
    1 cup muenster cheese
    1 cup Velveeta cheese
    1/2 lb butter
    1 dozen egg
    1 pinch salt
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    Cook macaroni according to box instructions.
    Melt butter, crack eggs into a bowl, beat until egg yolks and white are
    blended well.
    Grate all cheeses (except the Velveeta).
    With the cooked elbow macaroni still warm, mix in the Velveeta cheese, melted
    butter and a 1/2 quart of the half-and-half.
    Blend until creamy and smooth.
    Add the remaining half-and-half, all grated cheeses, eggs, salt and pepper.
    Blend all ingredients until smooth and creamy.
    Bake in your favorite baking dish (one with deep sides, rectangular works) at
    325 degrees for 1 hour, until golden brown.
    Tip: Make sure all ingredients are mixed well and your oven has been
    preheated.
    for an extra kick, add some additional grated yellow cheese on top midway into
    the baking process.