Fire Grilled Lobster

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OldManRiver. Show OldManRiver's posts

Fire Grilled Lobster

I love summer in New England. We get lots of great seafood, fresh herbs and vegetables, and mostly good weather. In spite of the rain, it has been a great year for lobster.

While it is hard to improve on traditional boiled lobster,
    I think that you will agree that this Grilled Lobster is the best.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from grampy18. Show grampy18's posts

Fire Grilled Lobster

I do not boil the lobster first. I would say it is a 50/50 choice among chefs. I would suggest shocking them after boiling to stop the cooking. I cut them lenghtwise and clean them. Then I break the claws. Put them meat side down for about a minute. Turn them, add butter and spices if you want. I just use butter. Cook with the cover down until done. The time depends on the size and heat of the grill.
    My favorite way is steamed. Second would be sauted similiar to the way Jasper does it at the Summer Shack.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OldManRiver. Show OldManRiver's posts

Fire Grilled Lobster

I like sauteed as well, but grilled just can't be beat. In Japan they don't even bother to kill them in hot water, they just cut them in half and throw them on the fire.

I do not actually boil them, I just use the hot water to kill them, less than 1 minute. By shoking them do you mean you quench them in ice water? I am always afraid that chilling before cooking can toughen the meat.

Your technique is very similar to my recipe, except I like to use the herb/garlic/olive oil mixture instead of butter. I also like to cook them meat side up first so that the herbs can cook into it. My grill is actually a stone oven, so I can get it extremely hot. Five minutes total cooking time would be the max.

Sections
Shortcuts