French Onion Soup

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OldManRiver. Show OldManRiver's posts

French Onion Soup

Sad as I am that summer is over, I love fall. Now that the weather is cooler, Lizabetti and I can get back to some of our favorite soups. Recently we made this French Onion Soup.

This one is a bit unique because I made it with lamb stock and added sauteed mushrooms for a fuller flavor.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from grampy18. Show grampy18's posts

French Onion Soup

Are you using lamb stock and not broth? Did you find the reduced stock overpowering? Also, how do you prevent the onions from burning while you saute the mushrooms? Why not add the mushrooms to the onions after they are almost done and let them share flavors?
    I do like onion soup and mushroom soup. Putting them together does sound good.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OldManRiver. Show OldManRiver's posts

French Onion Soup

Excellent questions, sorry I did not reply sooner.

I am using home made lamb stock, which is probably a bit weaker than the commercial variety. Each time I cook a meat that has bones, I make a stock. I put the cooked bones in a large stock pot with water, red wine, garlic, onion and any leftover aromatics or herbs. I bring to a boil, turn down the heat to low and slow cook for about 24 hours. I also do this with poultry, but I substitute a white or pink wine.

In our house we keep tubs of frozen stock. This helps us add lots of flavor to our dishes without the salt in commercial stock. Our Thanksgiving turkey and ducks usually makes enough stock to last us 6 months.

I do not find that reducing the home made stock is overpowering, but store bought stock may be too strong to double down like that. You just have to use your judgement there.

The onions do not burn, I do it in this order because the onions take much longer than the mushrooms.

Once I get the mushrooms going I do mix them with the onions and they do share flavors. I just like to give both of them a brown glaze, which won't happen if they are mixed. This is because both have a lot of water. Getting some of the water out helps to concentrate the flavor.

I hope you make the dish, I was just dreaming about making a nice lobster bisque. I will publish the recipe if I do.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OldManRiver. Show OldManRiver's posts

French Onion Soup

I noticed another thread about lunch, actually this dish reheats quite well when you take it to work. Talk about comfort food for lunch!