Fridge? Room Temp? Macerating fruit and nuts for fruitcake

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Fridge? Room Temp? Macerating fruit and nuts for fruitcake

Hi, all,

I'm making a fruit cake and have just mixed the brandy with the chopped dried fruit and nuts (thank goodness for Trader Joes).  I assume it's OK on the counter and probably better.  The recipe calls for "up to 24 hours".  Would it be a problem to leave it longer on the counter?  Not sure when in the next couple of days I'll have to make it...

TIA!!

~kar

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: Fridge? Room Temp? Macerating fruit and nuts for fruitcake

Kar, my mother used to make, what they call a Rum Topf, when the harvest season began. It was basically fruit being macerated in rum and sugar. The longer it sat, the better it was. We had a special large stoneware container for it. One could keep adding the season's fruit and sugar and rum to it. Boy was it potent by the time Spring came around. But lovely on ice cream and other deserts. We kept it in a cool, dark cabinet - not the refrigerator.
    So, to answer your question - leave it out on your counter, but not in bright sunlight. Or if you have room - in a cabinet. You and your fruit cake wil be just fine.

In Response to Fridge? Room Temp? Macerating fruit and nuts for fruitcake:
    [QUOTE]Hi, all, I'm making a fruit cake and have just mixed the brandy with the chopped dried fruit and nuts (thank goodness for Trader Joes).  I assume it's OK on the counter and probably better.  The recipe calls for "up to 24 hours".  Would it be a problem to leave it longer on the counter?  Not sure when in the next couple of days I'll have to make it... TIA!! ~kar
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Dear!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

yup- the alcohol will keep any nasties from breeding! Let us know how it turns out!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mm, I tasted the brandy, and WHOA!  Nothing can grow in that for sure.

I'll let you know.  I'm a little nervous - it's VERY expensive so it better be well enjoyed, and I don't want to eat two whole batches of fruitcake.  I'd be fat AND drunk, LOL!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

LOL fruitcake is an acquired taste. I'm not crazy about it (because of the nuts, I have a thing about nuts in cake or bread) but my dad LOVES it!
    If you end up with cake to spare you can always wrap it up nicely and give it to a retirement home if you live near any. I've never met an "old" person who didn't love fruit cake.
    us kids with our boxed cake mixes and corn syrup just don't appreciate that stuff as much. ;)

In Response to Re: Fridge? Room Temp? Macerating fruit and nuts for fruitcake:
    [QUOTE]Mm, I tasted the brandy, and WHOA!  Nothing can grow in that for sure. I'll let you know.  I'm a little nervous - it's VERY expensive so it better be well enjoyed, and I don't want to eat two whole batches of fruitcake.  I'd be fat AND drunk, LOL!
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

LOL!!!!!  Old people DO love fruitcake, and we have a retirement home in our town.  Maybe I'll make one large loaf and quite a few smaller ones.  Judging by how much 12 cups of chopped fruit really is, I'm going to be swimming in batter.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

12 cups of fruit? Oh lord, that is quite a lot. You must have gotten this recipe from a commercial bakery. LOL
    Kar you know, you could cut down this recipe to a more manageable size and just save the macerating fruit for something else. Maybe even next year's fruit cake. The fruit will not go bad. I promise you. I have macerating prune plums in my refrigerator that are 3 years old. And I haven't killed anyone yet.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good suggestion, but I did double it on purpose and have a 7 qt stand mixer (LOVE IT) that can handle the load.  Maybe I'll be sorry I didn't listen, but I have a of loaf pans and intend to give some little ones to neighbors and such.  It's a Martha Stewart recipe so it should be well tested...I worry about the ratio of fruit mixture to flour, though.  4:1?  I guess that's why they call it FRUITcake. LOL  We'll see...  Must run and get those eggs I neglected to ensure we had enough of.  Oops.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OK, the cakes are in the oven.  Since there was so much of it I had to fold in the fruit mixture to the creamy part with my hands up to my wrists.  But, good news, it filled one regular loaf pan and 7 babies, just like I'd hoped.  I overfilled them, just about 1/2 inch from top, but there's no levening agent so hopefully that was not a mistake. 

Onward to cleaning up this mess and staring the next one. :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

----OK, the cakes are in the oven----
    But how was the end result, when you took them out? I think I would have been dizzy with the alcohol escaping from your oven. LOL

Martha is not always good. I can surely attest to that. I have used many of her recipes, and I did well. But when I slow-cookered her beef with cranberries, it was a true disaster.  It was so tart, we couldn't eat it. Talk about puckering up. We went out to eat that night and I doctored it for the next day, so it was not totally lost.

Hope yours came out well. But why only 7 "babies"? I think you forgot me. LOL

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We polished off a baby one last night, and BIL and DH (and I!) gave it a huge thumbs up.  Getting ready for the big party at SIL's so must sign off for now, but I took photos and will post tomorrow.  Wish I could share a loaf with you!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Here's a photo of all that double-recipe made (12 c fruit/nuts).  You can see the Polander All Fruit Apricot glaze on top, too.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, those loaves look just lovely. MS definitely has some great recipes. But after a few failed ones, I always try them out first. To throw 12 cups of macerated fruit in a bucket, would have hurt my heart and my pocket book. I am glad, you did well. No wonder everyone liked them. The apricot jelly I have to remember. Love the taste of apricot. I usually use apple jelly. But not any longer. Glad your family liked your fruit cakes.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, pingo!  I'm glad this was a successful MS recipe because like you said, it was a hit to the wallet.  Happily, I bought almost all the dried fruit at Trader Joe's so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.  The brandy, of course, was expensive.  I didn't think of that when I promised to make them, but now I'm on the hook for next year.

Apple jelly would be good, too.  Sweeter, I think.  The apricot was tangier.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

they look incredible! Maybe I'll have to ry making one in January.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OK, then I'll post the recipe and my other photos in "Recipes" sometime soon.

Sections
Shortcuts