Have you ever made your own beer?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1159153. Show user_1159153's posts

Have you ever made your own beer? If so, how complicated is it and about how long does it take? Also, do you have a special recipe to share?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinisterg. Show sinisterg's posts

Yes. It's very easy. Five gallons of ale takes 5 weeks. The key is cleanliness in all phases of the process.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrianSSBC. Show BrianSSBC's posts

yes, I've been brewing for a few years now and have made quite a few different styles.

Answering the complicated and how long it takes questions... it depends. It depends solely on the style of beer you're making. If you're making a relatively simple hefeweizen, it can be ready in as little as four weeks... other beers can take a year or more (although these tend to be very high alcohol specialty beers).

The style and, without exaggerating, how complicated you want to get will dictate how complicated the process is. You can make some very good beer with some basic equipment (a good size pot, a five gallon bucket and some other small pieces) or you can make some very good beer with incredibly complex "all-grain" brewing systems that can run thousands of dollars and mimmic all of the capabilities of a large commercial brewer.

It's a great hobby and one that's very easy to get into.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from magnusotis. Show magnusotis's posts

no.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I haven't, but my sons have done it many times. They stunk up my kitchen, until I demanded they do the boiling part outside on the deck using our gas grill. Worked well.
    Then we couldn't use our powder room for 2 - 3 weeks. The beer had to sit and ferment undisturbed in the dark. When the beer finally was siphoned into the kegs and stored in my chest freezer (which my son had turned into a certain temperatur refrigerator) - my house turned back to normal again.
    But I tell you, it was great stuff.
    They generally planned 6 weeks ahead for special occasions.

Sections
Shortcuts