homemade mayo?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

homemade mayo?

Hi, folks,

I just started making my own mayo to control the health factor and use this recipe with 100% extra virgin olive oil.

All Recipes Mayo Recipe

It comes out like a nice hollandaise sauce that thickly coats a spoon, not stiff like commercial mayo.  I'm drizzling the oil super slowly in a tiny, continuous thread and allowing the mixture to emulsify with the blender on a low speed.

Any tips on thickening it further without breaking it?

TIA!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: homemade mayo?

I've been reading; maybe I'm just not blending it long enough after the oil is incorporated.  Being overly afraid of breaking it I'm probably just stopping too early.

Thoughts?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    If you have any leftover from that first batch, try to start over with another egg yolk. Just blend that one for a few minutes then add your Mayo in a thin stream. Pls. let me know, if it works. In general it should - but I don't know if it would work w/ the recipe you are using.- Pingo

In Response to Re: homemade mayo?:
    [QUOTE]I've been reading; maybe I'm just not blending it long enough after the oil is incorporated.  Being overly afraid of breaking it I'm probably just stopping too early. Thoughts?
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I blended the egg first, but maybe not enough...it's a mystery.  Does it matter what temperature the ingredients are?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tyboom29. Show tyboom29's posts

You have to start the drizzle of the oil very slowly, a few drops to start off with, then build up to a slow drizzle of oil.  The oil type shouldn't matter too much.  A tsp of mustard helps the emulsifcation as well.  Don't let the mayo win!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Goodness, I'm drizzling so slowly my arms and hands get tired!  But, good news, I tried blending it quite a bit after the last drop went in, and THAT'S when it thickens!  I was shutting off the blender way too early.  (Actually, I learned this while trying it with an emersion blender, but I'm sure the idea will apply to the blender, too.)

Thanks for the tips!!  I think I have it.  I'm not a huge fan of the taste of olive oil in it though, and that was essentially the whole point of making it at home, so I can control the health factor.  I'm going to have to mix it with something tastier...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from oldchild. Show oldchild's posts

Julia Child had the answers.  Her mayo rx is 3 pages.

Egg yolks only work better with the immersion blender.

Separate eggs cold, let yolks warm up to room temp to emulsify.

You can use corn oil, peanut oil, canola oil, sunflower oil, and mixed part nut oil (walnut, hazelnut) to the total volume of oil in the recipe. Use what tastes best to you.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sweet, thanks oc!  Long time, no see, by the way.  Hope you are well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from oldchild. Show oldchild's posts

I should have added--bad tasting mayo due to the oil?

Google a chocolate cake recipe with mayo. They usually use cocoa and you can substitute 1/3 cup of the flour with cocoa as you are mixing it, to get a really deep dark cake.  It will probably be the moistest chocolate cake you ever bake.

I have been busy in the garden--keeping the chipmunk off the grapevine, watering a lot in this heat, pruning every couple fo weeks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello Kar,

http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/main/condiments/mayonnaise/mayonnaise-recipe.asp

Couldn't help it - I think I am the Julia Child kind for making homemade mayo. My mother taught me.
    And oldchild, thanks for reminding me. JC was always one of my favorite shows. Her real kitchen is now on display at the Smithsonian in Washington, DC. That should say something.
    - Pingo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mmm, cake.........

Yeah, it's not "bad tasting" exactly, it's olive oil tasting.  Just not my preference for mayo taste - was trying to make it more healthily. 

oldchild, if you like, check out the gardening thread in Chatters.  You're welcome to add your stories and photos!  We've had it going since Spring.  I have more to add myself, actually.  I've been slacking.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    Looks like you and I posted at the same time. Just wondering how you store you evoo? It can go rancid very quickly. I don't like the taste either, but some of the other all veggie oils are not bad. Like oldchild suggested, maybe you can find a mix that suits you. I will stay with my regular olive oil from TJ's.
    I have made cakes with mayo - and they were just great. I have 3 overripe bananas right now. Will make Winter's banana bread, but quickly freeze it. Not allowed these days. Just hope the smell doen't get to me. So far doing great. - Pingo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, goodness, that's a good thought, but the evoo isn't rancid.  We go through it like water.  I store it in the basement, cool and dark.  The olive oil tastes great, actually, but I just don't care for it's particular flavor in the mayo.  I think I would have except that I realllly like commercial mayo and the difference just isn't to my liking.

Oh, Pingo, if I can cook a pound of bacon and not take a bite (see Aug chat), you can put the whole banana bread in the freezer.  Think of how much nicer it will freeze if the crust is in tact, and you'll be able to resist!

Sections
Shortcuts