Looking for old recipe from Confidential Chat from 1960's I think - Date Nut Bread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from deweydecimal13501. Show deweydecimal13501's posts

Looking for old recipe from Confidential Chat from 1960's I think - Date Nut Bread

Hello,

I saw the recipe for Date Nut Bread in the paper.  Some mentioned that there had been a terrific recipe in the Confidential Chat recipes way back in the 1960's for a date nut bread as well.  Does it still exist and does anyone still have it?  Is it the same recipe as the one published 2010?  Can anyone post it here?

Would truly appreciate any help on this.  

Thanks,

Deweydecimal :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

Re: Looking for old recipe from Confidential Chat from 1960's I think - Date Nut Bread

In Response to Looking for old recipe from Confidential Chat from 1960's I think - Date Nut Bread:
    [QUOTE]Hello, I saw the recipe for Date Nut Bread in the paper.  Some mentioned that there had been a terrific recipe in the Confidential Chat recipes way back in the 1960's for a date nut bread as well.  Does it still exist and does anyone still have it?  Is it the same recipe as the one published 2010?  Can anyone post it here? Would truly appreciate any help on this.   Thanks, Deweydecimal :)
    Posted by deweydecimal13501[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

Re: Looking for old recipe from Confidential Chat from 1960's I think - Date Nut Bread

In Response to Re: Looking for old recipe from Confidential Chat from 1960's I think - Date Nut Bread:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Looking for old recipe from Confidential Chat from 1960's I think - Date Nut Bread :
    Posted by Obbieite[/QUOTE]

I think this might be the recipe you are looking for published in The Boston Globe "Cook Book for Brides", 1963 edition.  It is from a contributor named "Meadow Gold".  I hope this is what you are looking for.

Date-Nut Bread

1 (6  1/2 oz) package dates
    1 teaspoon soda
    1 cup boiling water
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 egg
    2 cups sifted flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup nuts, cut up

Cut up dates, add soda and boiling water.  Set aside to cool.  Add sugar, egg and beat.  Add the remaining ingredients.  Bake in a greased loaf pan for one hour in 350 degree oven.

(signed by)
    Meadow Gold

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm sure there will be a lot of us thanking you for that date nut bread recipe, Obbieite.  We're all hungry for the old Chat recipes.  It sounds as tho you have the cookbook - lucky.  I've suggested lots of times that the Globe republish it, I know it would be a best seller.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Agree, tt! I had the cookbook, but have lost it/lend it to someone, don't know. It had a wonderful selection of NE recipes.
    Globe, please republish it. It would be a best seller. - Pingo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from deweydecimal13501. Show deweydecimal13501's posts

Thanks so much for posting the recipe.  Its appreciated.  :)

Deweydecimal

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

In Response to Re: Looking for old recipe from Confidential Chat from 1960's I think - Date Nut Bread:Here's an even better recipe:

Date Nut Bread

½ lb dates, cut into thirds (dates are now sold already chopped.)

¾ cup sugar

2 tbsp margarine or butter

1 egg

¾ cup boiling water

1½ cups flour

1 tsp soda

1 tsp baking powder

½ cup walnuts

1 tsp vanilla

Cut up dates and put them in a bowl with the butter. Pour boiling water over the dates and butter. Let the mixture sit until it is deep and dark colored. Add egg and vanilla, then sugar to the date mixture.  Mix sifted dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Pour in date mixture and stir until just mixed.  Add nuts.  Pour into greased 9 x 4 loaf pan.  Bake at 325° for about an hour.  Makes one loaf.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

Here's a recipe for Date-Nut Bread from the Boston Globe "Cookbook for Brides"

Date-Nut Bread

1 (6 1/2 oz) package dates
    1 teaspoon soda
    1 cup boiling water
    3/4 Cup sugar
    1 egg
    2 cups sifted flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup nuts, cut-up

Cut up dates, add soda and boiling water.  Set aside to cool.  Add sugar, egg and beat.  Add the remaining ingredients.  Bake in a greased loaf pan for one hour in a 350 degree oven.

from Meadow Gold

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

Oops, I didn't scroll back...Now I see that I've already posted this recipe back in December.  Sorry for the confusion.  Obbieite

Sections
Shortcuts