Meat loaf

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

Meat loaf

My wife makes the most fantastic meat loaf, and she never uses a receipe. Just throws things in left and right, peppers, onions, bread crumbs, all spice, bell's seasonin, italian seasoning. numtmeg, and ketchup, and an egg. She NEVER measures anything. BUt boy does it come out great.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: Meat loaf

Mr. P loves meatloaf, and I do pretty much what yur wife does. Except I use salsa instead of ketchup. We like ours a bit spicy. I have never used bells seasoning either, will have to try it.
    Also, the last few times I have made it in a square corningware dish - a la tt - not like a loaf. I comes out great. And it is easy to cut it in squares and freeze leftovers.
    - Pingo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

[QUOTE]Mr. P loves meatloaf, and I do pretty much what yur wife does. Except I use salsa instead of ketchup. We like ours a bit spicy. I have never used bells seasoning either, will have to try it. Also, the last few times I have made it in a square corningware dish - a la tt - not like a loaf. I comes out great. And it is easy to cut it in squares and freeze leftovers. - Pingo
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

SHe makes ours in a square glass dish, but in 2 small loaves, since it is enough for 2 days... We eat the second on tonight.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnath. Show johnath's posts

I put mine on a rack. This way excess fat goes into the sheet pan. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

[QUOTE]I put mine on a rack. This way excess fat goes into the sheet pan. 
    Posted by johnath[/QUOTE]

We buy the GOOD ground beef so there is NO fat dripping. Not a bad idea though,

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

For taste, the meat loaf need some fat (at least we think so). I usually buy the 85% - the 90% is too dry for us.
    I used to use a meatloaf pan with an insert, that would let the fat drain out, but it also drained out all the delicious juices, and the loaf came out too dry. So now, I use a square corning ware dish - and it comes out very nice. All the fat runs on the side anyway so one can avoid it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnath. Show johnath's posts

Ken, Just curious. Why do you end each post the same way? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

All this talk about meatloaf - took a frozen pie shaped piece out of the freezer (had been patted and cooked round in a pie plate), and have put a baked potato in the oven and some zucchini sliced, ready to cook.  Love this method of round or square meatloaf, makes it a little more interesting.  I, like Pingo, use the 85% ground meat to allow some of the fat to juice up and flavor the loaf.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnath. Show johnath's posts

[QUOTE]We buy the GOOD ground beef so there is NO fat dripping. Not a bad idea though,
    Posted by Ken1935[/QUOTE]
    I should have mentioned this in my earlier post. What is the difference between GOOD ground beef and good ground beef? I like to use chuck which is a cheap but tasty piece of meat. Would you consider that GOOD or good?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hi jonath,
    Of course, I can't speak for Ken, but IMO - good ground beef is not too fatty.   Thus I use the 85% for my meat loaves. For a burger I will always buy the 90%. I think chuck is a good way to go.
    How is your new kitchen coming up? I hope you will show us a picture someday. I am sure it must be awesome. - Pingo

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

[QUOTE]Ken, Just curious. Why do you end each post the same way? 
    Posted by johnath[/QUOTE]

That's my automatic signature.     Don't you like it?  It's really ME

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ken1935. Show Ken1935's posts

[QUOTE]Hi jonath, Of course, I can't speak for Ken, but IMO - good ground beef is not too fatty.   Thus I use the 85% for my meat loaves. For a burger I will always buy the 90%. I think chuck is a good way to go. How is your new kitchen coming up? I hope you will show us a picture someday. I am sure it must be awesome. - Pingo
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Most of the time we buy the 93%, for all uses

Sections
Shortcuts