Milk Expiration Dates

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

Milk Expiration Dates

Has anyone else encountered a recent long stretch of milk souring long before it's expiration date?  Last night (9/9) I threw out another half gallon bearing a September 15 date.  This has been ongoing a couple of months now.  I'm considering a new refrigerator, but I'm not having any trouble with half and half. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Milk Expiration Dates

I did open an ultra pasturized heavy cream that was sour a month before the sell by date just last week.  Usually, they last long after the date...I was very surprised.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You can get a thermometer for the fridge before you toss it.  Also, keep the milk off the door.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Agree with both of you. Usually I could keep my milk long after the expiration date w/o any problem. And my Half and Half - I could keep for months. But no longer. Don't know why. I have a thermometer in both my freezer and my refrigerator and both are up to par.
    So now - even more expensive at cost, I buy quarter milk bottles. For the two of us it will last for a few days before it goes sour. Maybe with the new "green wave", the milk/cream is not pasteurized at as high temp or as long as before in order to preserve valuable vitamins etc. Lots of changes have been made in that "green" department.
    Also, easy-does-it - make sure you clean your coils on your ref. and as Kar suggested - have a thermometer to check the temp. Makes a lot of difference.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I now buy the quart containers of milk, but buy 2 at a time.  The last quart I had to throw out yesterday because it had soured before the expiration date, so it's not just the gallons that that's happening to.  I'm going to try buying it at a local convenience store that I know has a quicker turnover - don't know if that will make any difference since I always buy containers with as extended an expiration date as possible, but somehow I just feel it may be fresher there.

I've read not to keep it on the door also, but I always have and had no problem previously, so I'm not sure that's relevant if you're in a one person household, as I am, where the door doesn't get open that much.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

Thanks all.  I've vacuumed, and set the control "colder", and placed a reliable thermometer.  Unfortunately, even after 24 hours, it's a balmy 50 degrees on the shelf.  I guess I'm going refer shopping.  But I'm not sure the "freshness dates" aren't being manipulated, too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

50 degrees?!  Wonder you haven't had a bad case of food poisoning.  Do you keep leftovers?  I hope you won't eat any leftover meat until you get a new fridge.

I have a consumer reports account; do you want to measure your spot and have me look up what they recommend?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

In Response to Re: Milk Expiration Dates:
    [QUOTE]50 degrees?!  Wonder you haven't had a bad case of food poisoning.  Do you keep leftovers?  I hope you won't eat any leftover meat until you get a new fridge. I have a consumer reports account; do you want to measure your spot and have me look up what they recommend?
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]
    Thank you, but no, I'll be doing research on line.  I've had good luck doing that with other purchases and I expect it will work for refers too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I meant an online subscription to CR.  They helped us find a great dishwasher.  No worries, though - I'm sure you'll find what you need. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh dear, 50 degrees? Well It looks like you need to discard a lot of your stuff in the ref.
    But please don't despair yet. We had that problem once even after vacuuming and cleaning out stuff. I found that my rubber gasket on the door was not closing properly. Try to run a piece of paper around the door, and you will see and feel what I mean. We bought a new gasket, but could not fit it in - too long. So now, when we close the refrigerator door, we make sure it is really closed - not just let the door shut it self (you know, you just push it and it goes kind of thing). This was a few years ago - never had a problem since. It also took quite a while to get the temp down to where it should be. Several days.
    What about your freezer section? Did you check that one?

[QUOTE]Thanks all.  I've vacuumed, and set the control "colder", and placed a reliable thermometer.  Unfortunately, even after 24 hours, it's a balmy 50 degrees on the shelf.  I guess I'm going refer shopping.  But I'm not sure the "freshness dates" aren't being manipulated, too.
    Posted by easydoesit2[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from reindeergirl. Show reindeergirl's posts

Our fridge freezes - in the fridge part. Even when the dial is set to the lowest.

Don't notice the milk when it remains just opened - it's fine up to a few days after the freshness date. But I thought the stuff was supposed to remain good at least a week after the date, after you've opened it. A waste. I buy the quarts, because daughter won't drink much milk and I only use it for cooking, and I don't cook that much.

Still, there seems to be a problem. Maybe our consumer reporter could look into this.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

[QUOTE]Our fridge freezes - in the fridge part. Even when the dial is set to the lowest. Don't notice the milk when it remains just opened - it's fine up to a few days after the freshness date. But I thought the stuff was supposed to remain good at least a week after the date, after you've opened it. A waste. I buy the quarts, because daughter won't drink much milk and I only use it for cooking, and I don't cook that much. Still, there seems to be a problem. Maybe our consumer reporter could look into this.
    Posted by reindeergirl[/QUOTE]
    Ya' know, Pingo mentioned that a reset refer might take a few days to adjust, and mine did. It now stays between 38 and 41 degrees, which is where it should be.  Still, the milk sours rapidly, and other things do not.  I guess I too will have to start buying by the (more expensive) quart.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from movingtarget2. Show movingtarget2's posts

I've noticed something the past few weeks, so we turned down the temperature control.  I do know that location within the fridge, especially proximity to the light has something to do with it.  It could be that there's a conspiracy afoot, or maybe not. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The light might retain a tiny bit of heat, but I can't imagine that it would be warm enough for long enough to raise the temperature of anything next to it by even 1/2 a degree.  Not that I have research to support this, but it just doesn't seem logical.  The location in proximity to the door, however, does make a difference.  Anything on the door is warmer than in the body of the fridge.  Those egg cups, for instance, on the door, should never be used.  I don't think newer fridges even have those...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hi Kar,
    I had to laugh a bit, when you mentioned the egg cups inside the ref. door.
    My mother kept her eggs in a colander on her kitchen counter. Always. And we never got sick. But of course, at that time we ate a lot more eggs, so they didn't stay that long. A soft boiled egg was standard every morning when we grew up. We don't eat as many eggs these days, but I am a proponent of eggs. There is something in the egg yolks - not found anywhere else - that will protect your eyes. (Pls. ask your aunt). Read many places, that the reason so many people have cataracts these days is, that they have stopped eating eggs.
    In our household we have eggs once a week. Usually Sundays when I make a large breakfast (actually brunch). But then again, we skip lunch and just have a light meal for dinner.
    I also use real eggs for breading, and for pancakes, waffles and baking. My friend only uses egg whites, and both she and her husband had cataract surgeries already. So did my BIL, for whom I had to make an egg less cake for his B-Day.
    I do agree, if you have 3 eggs and streak for breakfast every morning (like some of our friends have. Yuck!) it will definitely clog up your arteries. But I do think, that eggs in moderation will do you no harm.

[QUOTE]The light might retain a tiny bit of heat, but I can't imagine that it would be warm enough for long enough to raise the temperature of anything next to it by even 1/2 a degree.  Not that I have research to support this, but it just doesn't seem logical.  The location in proximity to the door, however, does make a difference.  Anything on the door is warmer than in the body of the fridge.  Those egg cups, for instance, on the door, should never be used.  I don't think newer fridges even have those...
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, that's funny about leaving them out on the counter all the time.  I had no idea you could do that!  I do leave eggs out on to warm up to room temperature for some recipes.  I will ask my aunt about the eye health benefits of yolks, and I totally agree that eggs are good for you.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

One of the reasons that milk sours before 1/2 and 1/2 is the lower fat content in the milk.  Yes, fat is a preservative, you see, so 1% or skim has a shorter shelf life than the 8% half and half.  Think of how long it takes before butter (which is concentrated milk fat) goes sour!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hats, nice to see your post after a long time. Hope everything is fine with you and your family.
    I do agree with you in regard to the fat content. However, it s not right that milk sours before the "use by" date. That happens all the time, and I do have a thermometer in my refrigerator registering, that my ref. is running at the proper temperature.
    I have recently read that the stores are cheating on their dates. I don' t know how true it is, but until we know, I am buying milk in the smallest quantities available.
    Just this morning I had to pour 3/4 of 1/2 gallon milk into my disposal. It said use by 10/11/09 (and I don' t keep it at the door).
    I usually buy quarters for my hubby and I, but we were expecting guests (who never showed up) - so I splurged on the 1/2 gallon one and as of today, it should really be good and drinkable.
    It is really so frustrating. I just hate to waste food. I agree with tt, that buying your milk in a convenience store may be the answer. I will definitely try that.