National Pancake Day

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

National Pancake Day

This year, March 1 marks National Pancake Day. What are you doing to celebrate this quirky occasion?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: National Pancake Day

Well, quite by coincidence, I made a double batch of spelt pancakes last night.  We heat them up in the microwave since we don't eat a lot of carbs at one time, and I can't just make 2 pancakes.  DH had one as part of his breakfast this morning.

We'll definitely not be eating a stack of free pancakes. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I find it bizarre that each day has it's own food Holiday, but I googled it and sure enough it does.  My birthday is Natural Vanilla Custard Day : )

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Ambergirl, any excuse is a good one for a yummy creme brulee!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CollegeGamePlan. Show CollegeGamePlan's posts

Read up on St. David's Day in Wales - I'd like to think that since pancakes are the meal of celebration for that day in my family (better than Cawl - soup!), that perhaps that's where National Pancake Day comes from!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

How did I miss this...?? Oh well..will have to make up for it this weekend..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

It would be more appropriate to have it next Tuesday, Shrove Tuesday, or Fat Tuesday (Mardi Gras) when it is traditional to have pancakes to use up the oil/butter/fat that one traditionally was not allowed to eat during the fasting of Lent.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

In Response to Re: National Pancake Day:
    [QUOTE]It would be more appropriate to have it next Tuesday, Shrove Tuesday, or Fat Tuesday (Mardi Gras) when it is traditional to have pancakes to use up the oil/butter/fat that one traditionally was not allowed to eat during the fasting of Lent.
    Posted by Ihavemyhats[/QUOTE]

You are correct. Pancake day (Shrove Tuesday) is supposed to be the day before Lent (Ash Wednesday). Because Lent is a time of abstinence pancake day is seen as a last day of gluttony. Pancakes contain fat, butter and eggs which were forbidden during Lent. 
    Even I know this and I am an atheist!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

PS - I assume that if eggs were forbidden during Lent thats why Easter Eggs are traditional? No idea why they make chocolate bunnies though, probably as its also springtime.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

For whatever reason, my posts are'nt showing up. I have Firefox. I'll see if this goes through. bg

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

No, eggs are considered a sign of new life, just as the reappearance of the rabbit/hare and the new life of plants that seem to die and are resurrected in spring...