New Year's Eve Food Traditions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Figment. Show Figment's posts

New Year's Eve Food Traditions

What are some of your NYE food traditions? Are you one of those people who get Chinese takeout every year? Do you have a specific restaurant you go to? Or do you stay home and make something decadent?
    I have run the gamut for all of these things. It depends on the year I suppose. I love Chinese food but most years don't get it on NYE simply because it seems the worst time for it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: New Year's Eve Food Traditions

I've lived a fairly transient life so don't have a lot of family traditions.  However, DH and I have been married 3 years, and it's time to set some up!  We ordered Chinese Christmas Eve, and I think that's a good one to continue.  Wouldn't want it a week later, though, since I still have leftovers right now, and we don't get Chinese more than once or twice a year, anyway.

So, you have me thinking...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

WE generally have our formal dinner on New Year's eve and a more casual one on New Year's day. 

This year we are having grilled steak and shrimp.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, AB, happy New Year!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

My one NYE tradition is to never have Chinese food on New Years Eve!

I have seen how the food is prepared in advance and sits in the kitchen of several Chinese restaurants.  I find Chinese food "suspect" at best in a lot (not all) of places.  Think about it, these places get flooded with orders on NYE and NYD so they cook a lot in advance to keep ahead of anticipated orders then it sit's, gets a quick re-heat/re-fry if needed and out the door, what isn't sold NYE is saved for NYD! Ughh!

Figment has it figured out....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Add me to the no Chinese food on NYE group. RT is right; it is all made in advance. (Admitted by one of our friends, who used to own 5 Chinese restaurants).
    For many years, we used to have a yearly NYE party at our home, inviting all our adult friends. But as I am getting up in age, I just can't do that any longer. Lots of preparations, shopping and cooking. It started to become a chore instead of fun.
    5 years ago, we started a new tradition. We go out with two other couples to an upscale restaurant in Boston. They have a fixed 7 course menu, dancing and other festivities, and we can watch the Boston fireworks from our table. Expensive, maybe - but only a fraction of keeping a party. Besides, I get home to a clean house; no picking up and putting way for weeks to come. - Pingo

Sections
Shortcuts