Old enough for a beer or cooler?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from whoopdeedoo. Show whoopdeedoo's posts

Old enough for a beer or cooler?

My wife, 18 year old daughter and I will be in Boston in September and plan on visiting various restaurants during our week long stay.  I know the legal drinking age in Mass. is 21 but I've heard as long as my daughter is in the company of a parent or guardian she may be able to have a beer, wine or cooler as long as we order it.  Thoughts??? or is the closest she will get a root beer?....thx in advance

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jim-in-Littleton. Show Jim-in-Littleton's posts

Re: Old enough for a beer or cooler?

What you heard is wrong.  You can buy alchohol for your daughter and serve it to her but you can only do so through a package (liquor) store.

You can't (legally) buy her a drink in a restaurant or bar nor can any restaurant or bar serve her without risking the loss of their license.

That's per Mass. General Law Chapter 138.... 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

In fact if she takes a sip of your drink you may be asked to leave the restaurant.  I believe the legal age in the US is 21.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, you were given illegal advice.  It's not even legal to give anyone under 21 any alcohol in your own home let alone order it for them in a restaurant.  Of course, at home it's impossible to enforce, but the fact is that if anything unforeseen happened, medically or whatever, and it came out that you served an 18 year old alcohol you'd be in trouble with the law.

ETA:  Probably the person who told you that meant you can get away with it because it's unlikely that the wait staff will notice you aren't the one drinking the drink you ordered.  I don't know why anyone would actually believe that the drinking age law doesn't apply if someone else orders the drink for someone under age.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jim-in-Littleton. Show Jim-in-Littleton's posts

In Response to Re: Old enough for a beer or cooler?:
    [QUOTE]Indeed, you were given illegal advice.  It's not even legal to give anyone under 21 any alcohol in your own home let alone order it for them in a restaurant.  Of course, at home it's impossible to enforce, but the fact is that if anything unforeseen happened, medically or whatever, and it came out that you served an 18 year old alcohol you'd be in trouble with the law.Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

That's not quite true.  The MGL I mentioned above specifically allows for a person to serve alcohol to their own child, grandchild or an under-age spouse.  They can't give it to anyone that isn't their own child (et al) and it can't be served in a restaurant or bar (tavern) but if a parent buys a 6-pack and gives it to their child at home, it's completely legal.

M.G.L. Chapter 138 Section 34:
    "No person shall receive a license or permit under this chapter who is under 21 years of age. Whoever makes a sale or delivery of any alcoholic beverage or alcohol to any person under 21 years of age, either for his own use or for the use of his parent or any other person, or whoever, being a patron of an establishment licensed under section 12 or 15, delivers or procures to be delivered in any public room or area of such establishment if licensed under section 12, 15, 19B, 19C or 19D or in any area of such establishment if licensed under said section 15, 19B, 19C or 19D any such beverages or alcohol to or for use by a person who he knows or has reason to believe is under 21 years of age or whoever procures any such beverage or alcohol for a person under 21 years of age in any establishment licensed under section 12 or procures any such beverage or alcohol for a person under 21 years of age who is not his child, ward or spouse in any establishment licensed under said section 15, 19B, 19C or 19D or whoever furnishes any such beverage or alcohol for a person under 21 years of age shall be punished by a fine of not more than $2,000 or by imprisonment for not more than one year or both. For the purpose of this section the word “furnish” shall mean to knowingly or intentionally supply, give, or provide to or allow a person under 21 years of age except for the children and grandchildren of the person being charged to possess alcoholic beverages on premises or property owned or controlled by the person charged."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Jim, thanks - good to know!  Sorry for the misinformation.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from whoopdeedoo. Show whoopdeedoo's posts

Thank you everyone.  Very informative and indeed helpful.

Sections
Shortcuts