OT - Use the right knife for the job!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks! Oh, sorry you can commiserate (sp?)!

I'm a bit challenged by the right spacebar, but it's getting better already. :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Wow, it must have been bad to get stitches! Things like that happen so quick, you wonder how it even happened! My FI sliced his finger cutting a bagel today..I heard a yell from the kitchen and went running. I almost passed out from all the blood and I never thought I was a squeamish person. I guess watching that type of stuff on ER and Greys is not the same as the real thing. He just grabbed a band-aid, he was lucky it was not worse!
    Glad to hear you are okay. I guess you learned that you have a nice sharp knife set! :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

So sorry to heat about your accident kar. We all have moments like that, where we stand back and think, "How in the world did that happen?"
    Not too long ago I was opening a tub of cream cheese, which I have done hundreds of times. But somehow the lid on those things is sharp as a knife and it almost cut off he tip off one of my fingers. Hanging on by a thread. Not a pretty sight. Now I wear my oven mitt, when I open them. LOL
    I am glad you are fine - we would miss you here, if you could't type. Hope it heals soon.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I'm glad you're OK. I still have a scar from about a year ago when I thought it would be a good idea to stop paying attention while slicing open a bagel. Right knife, wrong brain. :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've been giving you all a break from my blathering on and on 'cause yesterday, when my 3 paring knives were dirty, I decided to pare with a steak knife. (The squeamish may want to hit the back button now.) Anyway, in a split second my thumb was split open. My DH had to turn nurse and get me to the ER for 5 stiches. Ugh. I'm such a dolt!

Anyway, I'm fine, but wanted to remind everyone to be sure to use the right knife for the job. I had no excuse; I have a block of about 20...so stupid!

Be careful out there, ladies, especially if when you get married you'll be cooking more or if, like many of us, this economy is forcing us to go out to dinner less. I got cocky and didn't think I could get cut so badly.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Kar- they did not give you the dissolvable stitches? I had stitches in my leg a long time ago before the glue and dissolvable ones, and I remember it being a "weird" feeing, but it did not hurt. I would not worry!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, fram. That's encouraging. Your poor Honey, btw, that had to hurt - you really have to put some muscle into stabbing a pumpkin.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sure, that qualifies - LOL! I wasn't the only one terrified to get them out? That's nice to know, too.

Woo woo!! Sounds like 100% agreement that I have nothing to worry about. Sorry to hear you've all had experiences with stitches - I feel like I've finally, after 37 years, joined the club.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

2 votes for a pic...hm. I come from a squeamish family so I'm sensitive to the vomit-prone. :) So, how about I give fair warning? This thread has run its course (thanks for all your input!), so tomorrow at 10:00 AM I'll post a picture (taken a couple of days ago).

WARNING: If you want to avoid seeing the picture, don't hit this thread after 10 AM (tomorrow) Thursday morning!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[Quote]Can anyone tell me how bad on a scale of 1 - 10 it is to get stitches out? I've never had them. They don't have to give you numbing shots, again, do they? That s*cked.[/Quote]

Sorry you got hurt.

Getting stitches out does not hurt. I had stitches under my nose in the upper lip area taken out when I was in 3rd grade and it didn't hurt at all. I was giving my sister a piggy back ride, I tripped and we both went a$$ over teakettle. It wasn't pretty. :-) But at least I have a small scar, that I can claim I got in a bar fight.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Nope, they have to be pulled out, not dissolving. :( I'm feeling better about it, though, since others have said they don't hurt. You'd think I'd be solid on this since I get the worst of the worst migraines, but somehow this cut thing is different for me. I almost passed out or threw up while they were stitching me up, and the pain was not even close to a migraine. Weird.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OK, here's the biggest encouragement I can give you to make sure you always, always use the right knife for the job. If I'd only washed the sharper, more aptly shaped paring knife instead of the serrated, blunt-ended steak knife, this wouldn't have happened. It wasn't the worst medical experience of my life, but it sure s*cked.

It's also a good lesson on keeping it covered (against conventional "wisdom" of letting it dry) and using bacitracin while keeping it washed (that about made me vomit the day this was taken). There's no redness at all and hasn't been the whole time! I learned on The Doctors a couple of weeks ago (aptly enough) to never let it dry even though my grandmother always had me take my bandaids off overnight. It makes the wound tighten and pull apart as well as leaving it more open to infection and scarring. The show (same one? not sure) also warned about getting septic and dying from skin infections so I was petrified of that when I got a fever the day I got cut, but it went away. Not sure what that was about.

OK, here we go...

IMG_0006.jpg picture by kargiver

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, please relax. It will not hurt. Most of the time the stitches get loose and make it's own little hole (like a pieced ear ring) and even you can pull them out. Just snip them with a pair of strrilized scissors - then pull. Sometimes one get stuck in the goo - but that only hurt as much as when you pull out a hair with a pair of tweezers.
    Please don't worry about it - P

[Quote]Can anyone tell me how bad on a scale of 1 - 10 it is to get stitches out? I've never had them. They don't have to give you numbing shots, again, do they? That s*cked.[/Quote]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Kar - so sorry about your mishap. And I can confirm that removing stitches doesn't hurt. I've had them removed from under my chin (stupid fall) and it was no problem.
    I also took five stitches out of an ex-boyfriend's forehead once (hockey puck). He didn't feel like going back to the doctor. So I took them out with nail scissors and tweezers. No problem at all. :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

yowch! So sorry, Kar! I've never had stiches anywhere except in my mouth. I can't tell you how much it hurts.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

You won't feel a thing (so I'm saying a 1 and no, no novocaine), but I am impressed they were able to fit 5 stitches on your thumb!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Can anyone tell me how bad on a scale of 1 - 10 it is to get stitches out? I've never had them. They don't have to give you numbing shots, again, do they? That s*cked.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sure, BB, a "proceeeeedure"! ;)

Seriously, thanks - I'm so relieved to hear everyone's "it's no biggie" stories. I almost passed out when they were treating me so I worried I'd have trouble, again, but yay, no worries.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

Well, I'd look, being a nurse and all, but I'm sure the others don't want to see :-)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

I wouldn't mind

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Yowza glad you're OK! Everytime I'm in the kitchen and I say "ouch" FI freaks out...haha. One of these days I'm sure that "ouch" will be for that reason.

Ummm I got stitches out from having a molel removed once and I still have a scar. It didn't hurt, but the guy was an idiot and he was just dropping the stitches right onto my pants...I was like, uh, don't you have somewhere sanitary you should be dumping those?

Anyway it didn't hurt so I'm sure that will be fine.

As a side note, if you're ever looking for a dermatologist...I don't recommend the one in the big gold building in Swampscott. Total creep (and just...ew).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

See above warning!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

wow, that's a heck of a cut!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, again, all. I'm a lot better today, but, yeah, I was a HUGE baby Friday, and I know if DH wasn't there I'd have passed out for sure (from the OMG factor, not the blood loss which was relatively minimal). Today, in the shower, I had the bandage off and ended up so freaked out by the stitches I ended up so light headed I had to kneel down with my head on the floor 'til I didn't think I was gonna hurl (do people still say that?). I managed to recover, but I couldn't look at it again! Every time I saw it, I lost a little of my vision. Yuck!

Lots of bagel accidents - be careful, everyone!

Thanks for sharing your stories, too. :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think I'm finally officially calmed down. You ladies are the best. :)