OT - Use the right knife for the job!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Kar, I'm sure getting the stitches out will be fine, unless you have a very low pain threshold. The last time fiance had stitches his mother took them out with cuticle scissors or something. No big deal! (She is a nurse though, I should mention.)

Sorry to hear about your incident!

Last Halloween, my fiance stabbed himself in the hand while carving a jack o'lantern. When he called and I told him to go to the ER, he said very earnestly, "But who will give out the candy?!!" He waited until I came home from trick or treating with my nephew to go to the ER. What a nut! No stitches though for a puncture wound.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[Quote]
    You won't feel a thing (so I'm saying a 1 and no, no novocaine), but I am impressed they were able to fit 5 stitches on your thumb!![/Quote]

A 1? Awesome!

Yeah, the fit them pretty easily - the cut is lateral right under the knuckle on the inside. I'd post an icky photo, but I don't know who out there could vomit at their desk! My mom would be one if I sent it to her. I took the picture for a friend (obviously male!) who wanted as much gore as possible. :) Let me know if you think I should...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ams, thanks - you guys are great. I feel much less apprehensive, now. My DH knew right away it was for real - I eeked out a, "Honnnnnnney?!!! Come quick!!"

I also had a mole removed and stitches out (50) that I don't count because I was under anesthesia at the time they went in, but I was only 9, and I don't remember getting them out at all. I DO remember having a crush on the doctor.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sweet, thanks!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

Not a bad place for a scar even if you do get one though.
    I hate to mess up the perfect 100% rating of pain-free stitch removal, but mine hurt. Probably mostly my fault though. I had 3 melanocytes removed a few years ago (and yes, that injection they give you before is the worst!) and removed the stitches myself with tweezers. I waited too long though, so I think that is why it hurt because they were a little more stuck in there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar please let us know how the ordeal went having the stitches removed.Hopefully we will get a real big smile from you.
    Just curious - are they loose? Can you kind of move them? If you can. you could remove them yourself and save yourself the agrivation of going to the doctor's office. Just pour some Betadine on them, snip and pull them out. Good luck my dear.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

pink, I started using Mederma 3 days ago, at your suggestion, thanks. I think it may be helping (it definitely improves the look at least temporarily after I apply it). It says for new scars you need to use it 3 - 4 times a day for 8 weeks so I'm sure it's not doing much that's permanent yet. It's $1/gram making this little tube $20 so I hope it works even though my scar isn't too bad to begin with - I'd just rather have it as minimal as possible. I'll keep you posted.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, it scared the heck out of me. Hopefully, it won't scar the heck out of me, too!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello kar - your wound looks just beautiful to me. Really!!! Nothing to worry about - it will all heal in time.
    But if you are ever going to have children, you need to work on your squirminess. Blood is only blood. It is only a red liquid in our body. Nothing to be alarmed about. The red color tells you to watch out - something has gone wrong and it is ouzing out to clean out the wound. The body will heal itself - if you let it.
    I am glad to hear your stitches are out - and that they went out with too much of a fanfare. Truly, you could have done it yourself. Now, just keep that thoumb from the rest of your knives and you will be fine.

[Quote]I had the Activ-Flex Band-Aid on from when I got the stitches out last Friday to just now. It's basically closed up now meaning I don't think it can get infected, but there's still some healing to be done. The picture isn't the greatest, but here's the latest:

IMG_0001-1.jpg picture by kargiver
    What a difference...
    IMG_0006.jpg picture by kargiver

[/Quote]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Ready for the long-winded explaination?

Okay! So, in layman's terms: your skin cells are created by the base layer of your skin. If something happens to those most-lower-level skin-making cells, such as sun damage, burns, cuts, etc. They produce skin cells that are scar tissue or irregular. This can be discoloration, texture differences, etc.
    Your body doesn't "reset" or "renew" these skin-making cells on a regular basis. It's just not a priority. MeDerma, and other cremes like Stri-Vectin SD, "reset" or "renew" these base layer cells, so that they make regular skin cells again, as opposed to irregular skin. Now, this isn't an easy process, it takes a long time for the topical chemical to get all the way down to the base level. You shed countless skin cells throughout the day, so that's why you need to apply it so often, and for so long. It's also why following the directions is crucial.
    I don't know whatt he chemical that renews the base layer is, or how it does what ti does, I just know that's how it gets rid of scar tissue.

And it should last forever :)

[Quote]I'm a directions follower almost to a fault so I'll be good. I reapply after hand washing, too...not sure if it matters. I'm not really clear on exactly how it does what it does despite having done a bunch of reading. I also can't seem to find out if the result is "forever" or if you eventually need to ReDerma.

Thanks, pinkie![/Quote]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, my friend - I will give you the report today when I get home. I'm not sure if they're loose as I still have to close my eyes when I wash it. I'm so squeamish, aka, a big baby, I'd be afraid I'd end up needing stitches again for having stabbed myself with the scissors on the way down to the floor!

DH took the camera to work today so a followup shot will have to wait a bit, but it'll come!

Thanks, again! Happy Friday!!

~kar

P.S. Pingo, there was a thread awhile back that I had lost interest in for awhile and when I checked it I noticed you'd asked about my brother/Berklee (or however you spell it!). I answered, but I bet you'd moved on by then...let me know if you are still curious.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

OK, here I go...ttyl........if I live! OK, now I'm being mellow dramatic (if I wasn't already), but anyway, I'm off.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm a directions follower almost to a fault so I'll be good. I reapply after hand washing, too...not sure if it matters. I'm not really clear on exactly how it does what it does despite having done a bunch of reading. I also can't seem to find out if the result is "forever" or if you eventually need to ReDerma.

Thanks, pinkie!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

shoot, wait, that's not the name for it- Dermablend is a makeup brand. I know it comes in a purple tube and you can get it at CVS, I'll try to remember the name.

ETA: Mederma. That's it :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

good advice, pingo. Maybe if I keep thinking about getting the cut (which makes me feel queasy even now) I can desensitize myself.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

circles, thanks for telling your experience even though it marred the pain-free record (sorry yours hurt!). The doc said 5 days, but the ER "Laceration Care" release document said 7 - 10 days. I'm going tomorrow to get them out - it will have been 7 days. It's feeling pretty good today; hardly hurts at all. Yesterday, it was still pretty sensitive. Today is the first day my darned thumb hasn't distracted me constantly.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yup, I did it up right, didn't I?!

Did he tell you? It's very sharp, pointed, and short-bladed (not more than 4 inches) so you can use it with precision. That's opposed to the steak knife I picked up instead which was serrated and had a blunt/rounded tip. It took too much force to do what I wanted to do so when it went, it went too far!

You aren't the only one to ask who's seen my thumb so I consider the accident a public service. ;)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I had the Activ-Flex Band-Aid on from when I got the stitches out last Friday to just now. It's basically closed up now meaning I don't think it can get infected, but there's still some healing to be done. The picture isn't the greatest, but here's the latest:

IMG_0001-1.jpg picture by kargiver
    What a difference...
    IMG_0006.jpg picture by kargiver

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pretty cool stuff! Thanks - I'd looked EVERYWHERE for that information.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

as long as you're good about the 3-4 times a day, like it says, it should do the trick! Good luck!

[Quote]pink, I started using Mederma 3 days ago, at your suggestion, thanks. I think it may be helping (it definitely improves the look at least temporarily after I apply it). It says for new scars you need to use it 3 - 4 times a day for 8 weeks so I'm sure it's not doing much that's permanent yet. It's $1/gram making this little tube $20 so I hope it works even though my scar isn't too bad to begin with - I'd just rather have it as minimal as possible. I'll keep you posted.[/Quote]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Wow that was a pretty nasty wound, Kar!!

P.S. I had to go home and ask my fiance what you're supposed to us a paring knife for (when you originally posted). He's the kitchen expert in our house :o)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

OUCH!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Cool, I was wondering how that would help it heal but figured maybe it had healing and covering properties! :)

Mederma, got it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Well, here I am stitch free (still no camera, though, so that will have to wait). It wasn't terrible, but I didn't have the best experience, either. I think the nurse was inexperienced or something. She kept getting my skin with the scissors while I could very easily see where she should have been cutting the stitch. C'est la vie. It was not that bad. I was wishing I could have done the snipping while she held it up. I wasn't nearly as bothered by looking at it as I thought I would be.

I was surprised to see it's not actually healed yet. There's still quite a gap that needs to heal up that the stitches were hiding. I think I'm going to use those stay-on band-aids that heal the cut underneath. If I do that the photo will have to wait a few days 'til that comes off. I tried taking one off early before, and the gel of the band-aid had bonded with the cut (as advertised), and it was a disaster.

So, in a few days I'll post the follow up photo. Thanks for going through this ordeal with me - it really helped. I know it was WAY off topic (except that we got the knives for a wedding present - does that count?!). :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: OT - Use the right knife for the job!

Mederma work so well that after 3 weeks of applying it regularly for 3 weeks immediately after it had healed enough to do so the scar is essentially non-existant.  Even the thumb print (well, whatever it's called between the hand and thumb joint) has returned.  There's a thin, hardly noticable line, but you can only see it under certain light conditions and thumb positions.  Not sure I'll even keep using the Mederma at this point; it's essentially like it never happened, and you can see from the stitches photo it was bad!