OT - Use the right knife for the job!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: OT - Use the right knife for the job!

Hello kar - I am glad you are happy w/ the way your thumb turned out. But you know, it would probably have turned out just as well w/o using Mederma.
    Our body is just amazing. It will heal itself if we let it. I have had several nasty cuts, burns etc. during my lifetime - and I never used anything to help healing them. One cannot even tell now, where they are. Took some time to heal. Maybe your "stuff" made it a bit faster.
    My friend - a plastic surgeon - told me this. Leave your body alone. Unless it is a very bad cut - or something that will disfigure you, no need to run to the emergency ward. Clean it out by running clean water on the cut fo several minutes. Then put a loose bandage on it and just leave it alone.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It was really deep...I could see muscle and fatty tissue before the blood.  It was nothing to just wrap a loose bandage around, I'm pretty sure - it was wide open, but I suppose I would have literally survived without stitches.   My grandmother had faint lines where she cut herself in the kitchen 'til she died, but this "scar" is essentially completely erased.  There's no way to tell if using Mederma helped or not - I truly have no idea, of course.  But, it did tingle in a strange way "inside" the cut even though it was closed up - strange sensation.

I have to agree with you, though, our bodies ARE amazing, and their healing ability is nothing short of miraculous.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chipster1. Show chipster1's posts

Gee, I was about to purchase a Bob Kramer Shun Knife at Sur La Table.  They look beautiful but I am wondering if I am setting myself up for injury?  Maybe I'll just stick with the less expensive, not quite as sharp knives that are out there and possibly save a finger.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: OT - Use the right knife for the job!:
    [QUOTE]Gee, I was about to purchase a Bob Kramer Shun Knife at Sur La Table.  They look beautiful but I am wondering if I am setting myself up for injury?  Maybe I'll just stick with the less expensive, not quite as sharp knives that are out there and possibly save a finger.
    Posted by chipster1[/QUOTE]

Chipster, NO!!!  Get the best, sharpest knives you can afford.  A sharp set of knives will set you up for the fewest injuries because you will have the most control over the knives.  When you apply pressure in the proper way, they will do exactly what you expect them to instead of slipping or rolling like a cheap, dull knife would.

The reason I had a problem was that I used a steak knife instead of a paring knife to pare the apple.  I also held it in my hand instead of putting it on the cutting board.  My stupidity, NOT the sharpness of the knife, was to blame.

Please, please, please, get good knives...and use the appropriate one for every job. :)

Sections
Shortcuts