Raw Food & Organic Food: Healthier for You and the Planet

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from VirginRaw. Show VirginRaw's posts

Raw Food & Organic Food: Healthier for You and the Planet

What is Raw Food?

A raw foodist is someone that eats 75-100% live, organic-uncooked and unprocessed food and drinks pure, live water. A raw food diet consists of unprocessed foods that have not been heated above 115 degrees F. Raw foodists believe that foods cooked above this temperature have lost their enzymes and a therefore a significant amount of their nutritional value are harmful to the body whereas uncooked foods provide proper nutrition and living enzymes 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Raw Food & Organic Food: Healthier for You and the Planet

There are some foods that are healthier when they are cooked, like tomatoes.  You get more bioavailable nutrients from them when they're in sauce or stewed. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

I have to agree with Karigiver.
    If you know anything about biology you are actually not supposed to absorb alien enzymes into your body. What is supposed to happen is that the proteinacious food (such as meat, and these enzymes you talk of) are degraded by your stomach enzymes into constituent amino acids which are then used as building blocks to build your own proteins and enzymes. The reason fire (ie cooking) has been used for hundreds of thousands of years is that it enhances the breakdown of the tough walls (eg meat gristle and plant cell walls) thus allowing your enzymes to get in there and do their job making amino acids. The less you cook the less you absorb from the food. True, some heat-labile chemicals are more likely to be destroyed, such as vitamins and some minerals. But its a trade off to get access to the amino-acids. 

So the concept of "absorbing enzymes", is just as silly as that of eating someones brain and gaining their knowledge i.e. a complete myth. The only exception I can think of is eating bacteria to line your gut to aid with digestion. If you eat everything cooked then all the bugs are dead. But now we have these bacteria yogurts and stuff that claim to have a beneficial effect by populating your gut with Bafidobacteria (friendly bacteria that aid with digestion). Maybe these are actually what you are thinking of rather than "enzymes"?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Indeed, enzymes are not alive and cannot, therefore, be killed.  They can be broken down by heat, though, like the enzymes in raw onions that make a fabulous expectorant if you add sugar to diced onions and let the juice be drawn out (an all-natural Mucinex).  If you cook the syrup to hasten its production, it doesn't work so let it sit in a mason jar overnight.  (That's not to say a cooked onion is useless or ruined.)

However, as per plasko's post, cooking is not the enemy to healthful eating and, in fact, is a necessary part of making it healthful in many cases not just tomatoes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

May I chime in to Kar's above post? That sugary onion juice REALLY works. It is the best expectorant ever. I am cooking chicken soup right now to hopefully ward off colds coming our way, but thanks for reminding me of making my natural expectorant as well. My food processor will be whirling in a moment - Pingo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

YAY, Pingo!  So happy it works so well for you, too!  I hope neither of us need to use it this year, though.  :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Did you mean to quote me?  Funny!

Where did the OP go?  No debate?

Sections
Shortcuts