Spring Grilled Feast

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnath. Show johnath's posts

Spring Grilled Feast

I am surprised that you freeze your meat. I buy mine the same day or no�earlier �than the day before.How do you know what you want to eat that day?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnath. Show johnath's posts

Spring Grilled Feast

If you are ever in Cambridge go to the Mayflower Poultry Co. on Cambridge St.. They have fresh chicken everyday. �

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Spring Grilled Feast

Hi Jonath and Gypsy, I do freeze meat. (Just hope no one attack me.)Mostly, I buy fresh - as "fresh" as it can get when bought from agrocery store.
    I am one, that goes food shopping for dinner every day after work.Never use cans, but mostly fresh vegetable - but also frozen veggies. Isomehow feel, that frozen peas and corn off the cob are fresher - sincethey are flash frozen the minute they are harvested. Have you everbought green peas in the pod at your grocery store - they are justgross.
    As far as meat is concerned, I sometimes have to freeze, since thesizes offered are just too large for the two of us. Anything I can buysingle service - like steaks for exsample I would never ever freeze,but we do not eat much red meat here.
    And sometimes, I think - it is good for some cuts of meat to be frozen.It tenderizes it. Once I saw on a food show (sorry, can't rememberwhich one) how someone marinated a chicken breasts and flanksteaks infreezer bags and froze them. I have done it several times, with bothchichen and flank.� Then put them on the grill. Was the best everflank and breast, we have ever tasted. And so very tender.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnath. Show johnath's posts

Spring Grilled Feast

Pingo and Gypsy,I buy food for supper the same day because I do not know what I want that day or who will be eating with me. I am single so I do not have to cook on a schedule. I also do not know if I will be eating at home or out for bussiness. I�by meats from a �butcher in Roslindale and vegatables from Russo's in Watertown. My fish I buy from Steamers in Watertown. My bread comes from Iggey"s and my cold cuts, sausge�and cheeses from New Salem Deli in Waltham.�My food and wine bill is about $250 per week. It is money well spent because I enjoy cooking and eating with friends.My freezer is used for ice cubes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Spring Grilled Feast

Haha! Jonath, when can we come over ? Sounds like you live good -really GOOD. But why shouldn't you, if you can afford it? Good for you.
    We other earthlings sometimes have to pinch here and there, that's whyI buy double if on sale and freeze. I don't like it, but I do. Liketoday my store had Italien Sweet Sausages for sale. Buy one get onefree. Why should I leave the second� one there. It is now in myfreezer for "someday or something". Don't know exactly for what I willuse it.�
    But I have to say, most of the time our meals are made from fresh meator fish and fresh veggies. So, I don't feel too bad. I have never in mylife opened a can of peas.
    We used to have Russo's around here. And I loved it. It was when my children were young, so I know they got a good start.
    We also used to belong to a food exchange, where we could go and "pickour own"- plus get all kind other organic grown veggies and home madeeverything from jam to pies and bread.� It was a great way ofteaching our children to respect the earth and the work it was toharvest just one small tray of green peas. I honestly believe mychildren learned to respect the work of the farmers and from wheregreens are coming.� I wish all children would have thatopportunity.
    But unfortunately, when the children left home, it became too expensivebecause we couldn't use all our food allowance, and we gave away overhalf our weekly supply.
    I am no way an organic freak (sorry, didn't mean to offend anyonehere). But I do love fresh veggies. I just love to eat them raw.Crunch, crunch, crunch!
    I don't� believe this "organic" label is always what it says.Please tell me how organic can a bunch of bananas be? They are all intheir own wrapping. And, how do we as consumers know, what and what nothave been sprayed on the veggies we eat?
    Sorry, Jonath -- someone got me going on a subject, I very much believein. Have a nice dinner. I am having Italian Sausages with all kind offresh peppers (colors and hots)� and onions. Then, I just took outof the oven a home made bread. Maybe I will spread some crushes upgarlic on it and put it under my broiler. Bon Appetite!

Sections
Shortcuts