What are your favorite local doughnut shops?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moody818. Show moody818's posts

Re: What are your favorite local doughnut shops?

Best doughnut shop is Congdon's in Wells, Maine.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CrackMonkey1972. Show CrackMonkey1972's posts

Re: Damn you, Boston.com!!!!

In Response to Damn you, Boston.com!!!!:
    [QUOTE]In my browser, Boston.com has misplaced an advertisement, making it impossible to vote for Verna's Donuts. Shame on you, Boston.com, and long live Verna's!!!
    Posted by gitsome[/QUOTE]
    Ads?  What ads?  I haven't seen an advertisement on boston.com in YEARS thanks to AdBlock extension for Firefox.  Also, you just have to click the "Click For More" link to give you the Verna's option

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftCoastDon. Show LeftCoastDon's posts

Is Gail Ann's on Medford Street in Arlington Center (across the driveway to the parking lot from Arlington Catholic HS) still around? I haven't been there in three decades or more, but the place was an every-Sunday-morning must-stop for my family when I was growing up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sarahmesarah. Show sarahmesarah's posts

Gail Ann's Coffee and Donut shop in Arlington Center.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from j-m-. Show j-m-'s posts

Gail Ann's is the closest to Kane's I've ever had.  Mind you - not anywhere near as good - and you couldn't slip one past me by lying and said you got it at Kane's.

But for those of us who have been forced to move to metro-west (Arlington's metro-west for folks from the North Shore), Gail Ann's is a reasonable replacement.

The ones in Belmont looked pretty good in the photo - what was that a Maple/Chocolate?  

For those never trying Kane's...you should.  It's really the best doughnut in the country...not like many places where you go and it's "good," but not really so amazing.

Kane's is good because the flour (cake), glaze, grease ratio is perfect.  Every bite has the right balance of each.  Like a holy trinity of doughnut taste.

Kane's really is that far from everyone else.  I like to use it as a compliment, as in, "Usain Bolt is like the Kane's of track," or "Sophia Loren is the Kane's of women."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from j-m-. Show j-m-'s posts

In Response to Re: What are your favorite local doughnut shops?:
    [QUOTE]Best doughnut shop is Congdon's in Wells, Maine.
    Posted by moody818[/QUOTE]

I was going to write something sarcastic, but I'm trying to stop that habit.

Can you give some detail, some sense of why?  I'd love to be tempted to drive up to the outlets with my wife, while in reality, I'd be going for a doughnut.  Doughnuts > Love, unless you love doughnuts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Opus2009. Show Opus2009's posts

Ohlin's in Cushing Square, Belmont are the best I've had in the Boston area.

Though 40 miles south of the city, in my hometown of Taunton, is Colonial Donuts - not even sure if its still there but they made a sugar raised donut that was unbelievable.

Who needs Dunkin's?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from j-m-. Show j-m-'s posts

[QUOTE]The Dunk in Weymouth is the best...They still bake on-premises.  Are there any others in ther area that do their own baking and don't rely on central warehouses with limited production lines.  The Dunk in Weymouth still has fancies, though not as extensive as the old days. 
    Posted by rdayglo[/QUOTE]

French Cruller at Dunkin's is the only donut worth having at DD.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from j-m-. Show j-m-'s posts

[QUOTE]Ohlin's Bakery in Belmont has to make by far the best tasting donuts that have crossed our lips.  They are light and fluffy and tasty as can be.  Honey dip, Jelly, Buttercrunch, you name it we'll eat it. Ask my husband the donut connoisseur. Ohlin's Bakery, 456 Common St, Cushing Square, Belmont.  Worth the trip   
    Posted by moodyblues820[/QUOTE]

A lot of Olin's posts...I'm going to try that place this weekend.  It won't beat Kane's, but I'm going to try it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyBuzzard. Show DirtyBuzzard's posts

The Coffee Shack in Marshfield and Pembroke have the best doughnuts on the south shore.  Homemade and tasty!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from HowieGreen. Show HowieGreen's posts

Favorite local doughnut - Doughboy Donuts Cinnamon Raisin Cruller! The winner

Go to Doughboy Donuts on Dorchester Ave in Southie and have the cinnamon raisin cruller - now THAT'S worth the trip!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrchillybeans. Show mrchillybeans's posts

For the love of all that is deep fried...why are there no good donut shops in Metrowest? Am I missing something? Newton/Natick/Framingham/Wellesley etc....please help......:)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PastryRob. Show PastryRob's posts

My best are Demets, Kane's and Donnas - but their donuts and not the burger thing.  Also, they gave a poor description of Donuts With a Difference, so why are they included on the list?  and surprised clear flour didn't get a nod for their beloved baked donuts.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Suzy-Q. Show Suzy-Q's posts

For MetroWest

If you are craving donuts in the foodie wasteland of MetroWest...the baker at Donelan's in Littleton makes excellent jelly donuts.  Light, yeasty, bursting with jelly.  The rest of the donuts are fine...just not the destination donuts that the jellys are.  They deliver about 5 jelly donuts to the Donelan's in Acton in the morning, so if you are an early bird, you might get one there. Donelan's in Lincoln doesn't carry them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lannybudd. Show lannybudd's posts

Spudnuts were the best. Unfortunately, the nearest one is in Virginia. Frown

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyKey603. Show JohnnyKey603's posts

Are there any actually in Boston, I like doughnuts, but don't have a car.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from trionetriathlon123. Show trionetriathlon123's posts

So happy to be reading these posts!  I have been looking for the best.  Used to just love Kanes, but they are doing something different. Not sure what it is, but they are tasting like they are heavy on the preservatives. The blueberry filling is also different; tastes like it is coming from a can or something!  What happened Kanes???  What are you doing to your donuts!!!  Bring back the old Kanes!!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

And speaking of trends, I'll take a freshly made donut over one of those oh-so-hip cupcakes any day of the week (a trend that I increasingly suspect grew from the guilt over donuts)....

Cupcakes are for yuppies.  Donuts are for the masses.  20 million peace officers can't all be wrong.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftCoastDon. Show LeftCoastDon's posts

I guess that Gail Ann's in Arlington Center is, indeed, still there. Not that my middle-aged constitution needs it, but the next time that I'm in that area, I might have to check that place out for a flashback from what I think of as another lifetime.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeopostRules. Show NeopostRules's posts

In Response to What are your favorite local doughnut shops?:
    [QUOTE]Sure, Boston is Dunkin' Donuts' domain. But when you want a really good doughnut, where do you turn? What mom-and-pop bakeries are serving up Boston's best unheralded sweets? Tell us your picks and check out our sweet 16 !
    Posted by BostonDotCom[/QUOTE]

The brand new Honey Dew on Rt 114 in Danvers has awesome, huge hand-cut donuts and other yumminess!!! Try the Coconut Jelly Stick. :-)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from burbie. Show burbie's posts

[QUOTE]They could give lessons to Starbucks![/QUOTE]

If you think being better than Starbucks is something to crow about, I don't think I'll take your recommendations on coffee. Starbucks is 100% marketing hype. They have some of the worst coffee in Boston.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from burbie. Show burbie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What are your favorite local doughnut shops? : A lot of Olin's posts...I'm going to try that place this weekend.  It won't beat Kane's, but I'm going to try it.
    Posted by j-m-[/QUOTE]

Here's a Web lesson. If the posts are anonymous, you don't really know who's posting them. Maybe the posters don't know what they're talking about, but often they're vested interests working for the company.

Posts are useful when they give facts that can be easily verified or show a new way of looking at facts that are in the article.

BTW, nothing against this place in Arlington. I've never been there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from burbie. Show burbie's posts

For donuts, I think Kane's is the best, but if you've ever seen me, you'll see that I don't look like a big donut eater -- and it's not without effort.

The best thing about Kane's is no background music or TV. You can talk, read, or do some studying. The worst thing about Kane's is the coffee. It's not burnt like DD. DD coffee would be OK if they didn't leave it sitting on a hot plate and pour the dregs into the next pot. Starbucks is made from stale, overroasted coffee beans and is overbrewed.

Kane's coffee tastes like robusta or Sumatran (between which I cannot taste any difference). If they switched to Columbian, Costa Rican, or Guatemalan, I'd be a regular.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]Heav'nly Donuts in the Merrimack Valley... Family-owned and still in business after decades, they have expanded from their original location in Methuen and by far serve up the best donuts in the area with coffee that is as good if not better than DnD.  Their cruellers are the best I've ever had, and their donut holes put all others to shame.  A great, local success story. Need to stretch those legs outside of the city/metro area, Globe...!!
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]
    FYI that Heavenly Donuts just opened a new location in North Reading...right on Route 28...I haven't checked it out (yet)..but it looks pretty big.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lacus. Show lacus's posts

Why does Boston.com run this story so prominently every month or so?

Sections
Shortcuts