What made 2009 a delicious year for you?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

What made 2009 a delicious year for you?

The Globe food staff listed their favorite food-related things in 2009. What were some of your favorites?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from josh187. Show josh187's posts

Re: What made 2009 a delicious year for you?

Top 10 food moments for 2009 (in random order):

1. Breakfast at Bouchon, Vegas

2. Tasting menu at Craigie on Main, Cambridge

3. Tasting menu at Daniel Boulud Brasserie, Vegas

4. Tasting menu at Bazaar, Los Angeles

5. Giving up dairy, and discovering coconut milk yogurt

6. My buddy Dave Smith's Christmas dinner

7. Tasting menu at Spago, Beverly Hills

8. Dinner at Palate Food and Wine, Glendale

9. Private dinners with Erik Kelley

10. Discovering swiss chard. Esp. penne with swiss chard and tuna.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from semivirtual. Show semivirtual's posts

The rooftop garden I started with a fellow foodie and building-mate, made my summer and fall much more delicious with crazy helpings of salad greens, herbs, tomatoes, eggplants to die for, cucumbers, peppers of all sorts, etc. etc.  We even rigged up a rain water collecting system to conserve as much water as possible.  It was amazing to have the Boston skyline all around us while we were busy harvesting our vegetables.  While the snow falls this winter, we plan away at our 2010 garden.

Here's an early summer picture of some of the garden offerings:

And here's a picture of the plants' daily view:

2009 made much more delicious!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What a rooftop garden and view, semi!!!  Looking at that made my 2010 more delicious already.  I can't wait 'til this year's growing season.

OK, I'll add while I'm here.  Like semi, DH gardens, and we ate lovely butternut squash all Fall and Winter (just finishing up the last few).  Whipped with maple syrup, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt.  Mmmm.

The fruitcakes I wrote about in Food/General/"Macerating at room temp" were awesome - I made the Martha Stewart Golden Fruitcake recipe to the letter so I can't take much credit for it, but it became an instant Christmas tradition for us.

Big shout out to Price Chopper in Spencer for the best standing prime rib we've ever had.  All I had to do was butter the exposed meat (not fat, of course) and stick a meat probe thermometer in it.  It was perfection exemplified.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Semi,
    What a lovely roof top veggie garden you have there. And what a view. No wonder you are enjoying "gardening". - I am totally envious.
    I have a raised 4 x 8 veggie garden. But nothing was doing well this past year, due to the cold and the rain we had early on this spring/summer.  I love a sunripe red tomato just picked - but we hardly had any this year. My friends and employees, whom I usually shower with tomatoes in season, suffered. However, I had plenty of green tomatoes at the end of the summer. I pickled them and we have been enjoying them all fall. Yummy with the Thanksgiving turkey. My family and I decided, that if our garden only give us green tomatoes, our garden efforts are worth it.
    I have a large deck off my kitchen, where I grow all my herbs in pots. They were doing ok, but not as well as in the past. Except for my rosemary, that is now 5 years old. I take it in every winter and bring it out in the spring. Snipping off it all winter long.
    Happy 2010 gardening!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

pingo, speaking of rosemary, I just made rosemary butter for Christmas dinner's baked potatoes, and I've decided to make it a staple in my kitchen.  Just simmer a couple of sticks of butter with a few sprigs of rosemary.  It's especially good on anything potato. :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    That sounds really great. I use it for my roasted rosemary potatoes. I know it goes very well with the potatoes. Have never tried it your way. Will definitely!
    If you have any leftover butter/rosemary - just cut potatoes in bite size pieces, place in baking dish. Add salt and pepper and toss well in the butter concoction. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 45 - 50 minutes. If no butter, use olive oil instead. If you like, you can add a couple of cloves of sliced garlic.

I also use my rosemary plant for making shampoo for my husband. He loves it. His hair get so shiny and black. Have been doing this for the past 10 years, and he still has a full head of black hair (now with some grey streaks in it, which I love) and he is not loosing the bunch of hair down the drain, that usually come with age. Don't know what I would do w/o a rosemary plant all year round.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, that reminds me, I did crush a few cloves of garlic in the simmering butter and strained it out with the rosemary.

What a great idea to use it in shampoo.  I remember now that you mention it that Aveda makes a VERY expensive Rosemary/Mint shampoo and conditioner I like but won't spend regularly on.  Maybe I'll get some unscented shampoo and make my own.  We also grow mint - it comes out our ears every year.  My DH will be thrilled if this works the same for him as it does for yours.  Not that I mind his losing his hair, but he seems to.

Sections
Shortcuts