What's in your fridge?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

What's in your fridge?

Are you particular about what you put in your refrigerator and how you store it there? Tell us about it and read the Globe story!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sweetmanon. Show Sweetmanon's posts

Re: What's in your fridge?

A whole lot of stuff...good and bad

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from c2d04eefce43050aed85a90f502b8c2f. Show c2d04eefce43050aed85a90f502b8c2f's posts

Sweetmamon:

You need to clean out your fridge!

How do you know what's in there?  But can I come for dinner?  It does look interesting.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Interesting subject!
    I just cleaned out my fridge last Saturday. I was truly amazed, how much went into the garbage can. So was my husband logging it out. LOL
    We and our two sons have different food requirements. One is a partly vegetarian (does eat lobster), one is a tex/mex cooker. So whenever they come for a visit, I tend to buy "stuff" they like or need. One like Feta cheese and olives, the other one hates them but like hot peppers. Often the leftovers just stay there.
    Plus, I cook 99% meals at home. And I like to use fresh ingredients and cook from scratch. So in general, I need more ingredients than some people. Many of my meals are ethnic, so I need stuff for that too.
    Also, I do a lot of home pickling, which need refrigerator space since I use no preservatives. Right now I have pickled okra, pickled green tomatoes, pickled cherry peppers - all from my small veggie patch. Plus I have a large jar of prune plums marinating in Vermouth. Use it for topping on ice cream. It gets more potent as times go by.
    I do have one upright fridge plus a tub fridge. The last one was a freezer our son converted into a fridge. Bless him. I can keep lots of things there.
    - Pingo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fungoh. Show fungoh's posts

Since I cook 99.9% of our meals, there is very little processed foods. My wife keeps some bottles of almond butter, fresh farm ouefs, half&half for her coffee. but I keep track of leftovers from the night before. lotts good stuf from our home made meals.
    example: some chicken in wine, portabellas. Homemade vegetable soup, some sushi-california rolls, some Indian curries,etc.  I never have enough room to store fresh greens, vegetables, fruits. We eat a lot of it.  on the side door, I store Indian chutneys(store bought) Welsh blueberry juice, Kefir(yogurt drink), peanut bttr,
    a half of a roasted organic chicken. parmesan cheese, feta, butter, vegetable oil,
    cottage cheese, whole plain yogurt(Greek). Mangia  Mangia!! TiaotseCool

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from portiaperu. Show portiaperu's posts

Our refrigerator is stuffed to the max.  I love to cook, and keep an array of ingredients to create our evening meals.  The only downside is trying to find something I need quickly in the stacks on the shelves.   A sample of our stash:  fresh fruit and vegetables, a variety of cheeses, chicken, beef, and veg stocks, yeast to prepare pizza dough, and a selection of leftovers from prevous meals.  Meats, poultry, and seafood are in the freezer.  Currently the leftovers include hot and sour soup, chicken marsala, mongolian beef, and a meat sauce for pasta.  We also have a selection of  beverages including Harpoon ale, Dogfish beer. nonfat milk, natural juices and smoothies.  The refrigerator door is stuffed with condiments and ingredients to garnish an array of dishes.  And, for some family members who can't do without (and will go unamed!), a giant sized bottle of catsup. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnath. Show johnath's posts

I have very little in my fridge outside of the essentials.
    I buy what I need for supper the same day.
    It helps if you are single and like to cook.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tgihal. Show tgihal's posts

totally off topic, but johnath, i am not surprised that you are single

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Nice to see your post Johnath. How are you? I agree with your wisdom, buy only what you need to cook with for that day. But if you buy a jar of pepperoncinis, and only use part of them for an antipasti, you don't throw out the rest. That is what is happening to my fridge. Lots of leftover thingies, I sometimes forget I have. Cooked food never go to waste. Great for lunch or next day's dinner.

In Response to Re: What's in your fridge?:
    I have very little in my fridge outside of the essentials. I buy what I need for supper the same day. It helps if you are single and like to cook.
    Posted by johnath

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnath. Show johnath's posts

Hi Pingo, I would post more often but I seem to get put down when I do.
    tgihal, I just turned 40. I will be married in Feb 2011. Just curious, why are you not surprised that I am still single?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Wow, Johnath. Congratulations on your engagement/upcoming marriage. That partner of yours is very lucky: a built-in chef.
    I enjoy your posts. Don't understand, why someone would put you down. I do understand though, if someone might think of you as single. You use a lot of I's in your post - not we's.
    Funny, I visualised you as being in your 50th. I guess with all the knowledge you have on wine and food in general made me think so.
    Best to you and your FI - Pingo

Hi Pingo, I would post more often but I seem to get put down when I do. tgihal, I just turned 40. I will be married in Feb 2011. Just curious, why are you not surprised that I am still single?
    Posted by johnath

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnath. Show johnath's posts

Pingo, That partner is a women. I have to say that before tgihal jumps all over it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

LOL Johnath, I wasn't thinking otherwise. But these days it is safer not to assume anything in that department. Ok, so that woman is a lucky girl.
    - Pingo

Pingo, That partner is a women. I have to say that before tgihal jumps all over it.
    Posted by johnath

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi Pingo, I would post more often but I seem to get put down when I do. tgihal, I just turned 40. I will be married in Feb 2011. Just curious, why are you not surprised that I am still single?
    Posted by johnath

Johnath, I miss your posts, too.  I get put down here sometime but I figure they are the nuts.  Remember the words of Stewart Smalley, "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggonit, people like me."  :D

Congratulations on your engagement!! 

Oh, so for what's in our fridge.  Not much.  We have an overflowing garden, and DH picks (he likes to be the only one in the garden!) what we need for the day either in the morning or when he gets home from work so we have leftover veggie dishes (partly sauted, partly steamed from crowding the pan) and fresh ones.  He drinks tons of Poland Springs carbonated water so there's always at least 5 bottles of that.  And, my wine that I use a la Julia Child - a little for me, a little for the dish. :)  Milk, cheese, eggs, yeast, wheat germ, butter.  Sometimes meat for that night, marinating. That's about it!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

I find that people who put down others do so to make them feel better about themselves. Its also very cowardly to do so anonymously on a board. One of my jobs today is to clean out my fridge. Lucky me. b.g.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CFQ. Show CFQ's posts

Just stumbled on this board, so I'm a newbie. My fridge is usually bursting at the seams, we are a family of 5 with 3 young kids. Right now, we have V8 fruit/veggie juice, milk, eggs, lots of cheese sticks and yogurts (perfect for school lunches). There are some cold cuts, some guacamole and hummus, homemade bread & butter pickles, lots of salad greens, tomatoes (from our CSA share). Of course, there are the usual condiments and salad dressings, a pork tenderloin, some jalapeno chicken  sausages, and some boneless chicken breasts. And the good stuff - 2 bottles of Prosecco, and some chocolate from Ireland (Crunchies, Caramels, and Kit Kats)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I thought of this thread this morning when I opened my fridge, and wished I were posting from home and could send a pic - - -  Barest it has ever been - - - I've been getting ready for a yard sale, so haven't shopped for groceries this week.  There are some chicken tenderloins I fried up last night, eggs, sour cream, milk and waters, plus Coors lite.  Couple of individual packets of diced peaches, juice boxes for the grandkids, in the crisper, red and green pepper remnants, plus celery.  In the cold cut keeper a little pepperoni left.  That and the usual condiments including kosher dill sandwich slices, just about does it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dazydo. Show dazydo's posts

In Response to What's in your fridge?:
    Are you particular about what you put in your refrigerator and how you store it there? Tell us about it and read the Globe story !
    Posted by BostonDotCom

Life was busier a month ago, one daughter off to college, and another in high school, but here goes. 

We have three refrigerators plus a full size freezer in the basement.  One is in my wife's home office, she has eleven employees that come and go from  our home.  So there is a full size frig used for them, their dailiy lunches, drinks, and whatever else we need room for.

Secondly, we have frig for "drinks only" in our breezeway, the breezeway connects to the pool and back yard, which was very busy this summer.  We got tired of trying to fit everyones favorite soda/water/juice/etc in our kitchen frig.   My wife is Coke-Zero addict, so we keep about 15-20 cans on hand at most times.  Then there is the bottled water, our town water is OK for cooking etc, but it doesn't taste that great, we've also had a few issues with boil noticies over the years.  We stock up at BJ's and keep a lot of Poland Spring on hand, although we have a daughter that swears "Dasani" tastes better, whatever.  Then there is the leftover soda and juice from the pool parties and cookouts that you always have.

The Kitchen frig is my domain, I do all of the grocery shopping, and most of the cooking in the house, so I rule this appliance.  Ten or so types of salad dressing, from the basic Ken's, to a few Fat-Free choices, and a few for marinating meat.  Skim milk only, Oj w/calcium, fat-free Coffee-Mate-French-Vanilla, basic condiments, grey Poupon, Franks hot-sauce, miscelaneous pickles and such.  Real Butter for cooking and popcorn, "I-can't Believe light" for everything else, Egglands Best eggs, pie-crust premade rolls, biscuit dough in a tube, fresh pizza dough from the bakery section, and any number of leftover containers.  More on Monday, fewer by Thursday because I shop on Fridays after work, I go alone and have been doing it for 20 years.  Feta cheese, parm cheese block, deli-american, and usually some mozzorella or provolone.  Turkey dogs, turkey kielbasa, and oocasionally some deli-turkey for sandwiches.  Veggies consist of whatever is in season, usually the basic salad stuff, plus red onion (always), summer squash, green beans, eggplant, peppers, carrots and celery.  I make a lot of home-made pizza, off-the-wall pasta dishes, and a lot of salads and wraps during the week.  On the weekends, I tend to make more sit-down meals for when the family is together.

The freezer is stocked with meat, chicken, sturdy breads, ice cream/frozen yogurt, frech fries, etc.

Sections
Shortcuts