What's your favorite brand of hot dog?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1159153. Show user_1159153's posts

America's two largest hot dog makers -- Oscar Mayer and Ball Park Franks -- are waging a wiener war as grills fire up this summer, hoping to win over customers and secure the No. 1 spot atop the stagnating frank market. What brand of hot dog is your favorite and why?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from erg5840. Show erg5840's posts

Gotta stay local-

Kayem Old Tyme Franks. Oscar Mayer and Ball Park can't touch flavor of these natural casing treats.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from greatbigredsoxfan. Show greatbigredsoxfan's posts

Maple Leaf natural casing deli franks are my favorite, mild but nicely flavorful.  I also like Pearl Dogs, they are also hard to beat.   When I am in NYC a nice Sabrett's Hot Dog with hot onion sauce is the ticket.  Pass the Tums!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from neolev. Show neolev's posts

i'm a fan of Hebrew National, not because it's kosher, but because it's tasty.  I get mine at costco by the 4 packs which is a great deal compared to the local supermarkets.  Has anyone else noticed the inflations on hot dogs lately?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coopah. Show Coopah's posts

Recently, I've gotten to like the Pearl HDs...and I recall a WSJ article where the author picked a HD cart in  Boston (Jamaica Plain?) where they used Pearl.  Very good.

I also like Deutschmeyer (butchered the spelling, I know), at the S&S deli counter.

When I grew up in CT, the local Mucke's HDs were also very good, can't get them up here, tho'.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sprint. Show sprint's posts

KAYEM old tyme , natural casings are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gcwnsw. Show gcwnsw's posts

Pearl Brand hot dogs is hands down the best.
    Maple Leaf  is a close second.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hot-tomato. Show hot-tomato's posts

Tofu Pups. By LightLife. Definitely.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom-H. Show Tom-H's posts

The article was referring to the Pearl hot dogs at Speed's Cart by Grainger's in Newmarket Square. Pearl is hands down my favorite dog.

[Quote]Recently, I've gotten to like the Pearl HDs...and I recall a WSJ article where the author picked a HD cart in  Boston (Jamaica Plain?) where they used Pearl.  Very good.

I also like Deutschmeyer (butchered the spelling, I know), at the S&S deli counter.

When I grew up in CT, the local Mucke's HDs were also very good, can't get them up here, tho'.[/Quote]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jakewalter19. Show jakewalter19's posts

It'd definitely be a tie between Boars Head and Nathan's.  I don't think any others compete, but that doesn't mean I won't eat them!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1459514. Show user_1459514's posts

Hands down
    best grilled hot dog
    pearl brand
    no doubt about it.....................

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from GGallagher. Show GGallagher's posts

I grilled these 'angus beef' hotdogs/franks on my charcoal grill over the Memorial Day weekend and they were a big hit.
    I belive they were Ballpark brand and I got them at 'Stop & Bop'

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jztbcz. Show jztbcz's posts

Pearl Hot dogs are the best for me, followed closely by the Hebrew Nationals.. The Pearl brand are longer and thicker like the sausages at Fenway. BUT if I'm looking for just a couple of normal sized ones the Hebrew National ones are it.....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nautic3727. Show nautic3727's posts

Kay-em all beef is my choice for the best hotdog.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1338945. Show user_1338945's posts

Essem (out of Lawrence, MA) used to make the best natural casing hot dog I've ever tasted.  They were more expensive than most hot dogs but always worth the money.  The only place I could ever find them were at Market Basket Stores.  I don't know if they're still in business or not.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ihatebofa. Show ihatebofa's posts

Pearl, hands down and no questions asked.  Arguing the point only proves your ignorance.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaboom. Show shaboom's posts

Either Hebrew National (at Costco) or Pearl Brand(you have to know where to get them....are the best
    All those other weanies are clueless. Kids love them, but for a man's dog, HN or PB

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from musiclover1013. Show musiclover1013's posts

Pearl hands down!  They grill up beautifully, have a great taste, and lots of snap when you bite into one.  Plus they actually fill up a hotdog roll unlike most other dogs.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BEAN. Show BEAN's posts

any kind that doesn't have the skin on it!!!!!!!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BEAN. Show BEAN's posts

any kind that doesn't have the skin on it!!!!!!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Essems were the staple at our house growing up - they would be tough to beat if they were still around.

Pearl CC and Kayem are both worthy choices, but I also like the Market Basket natural casing beef franks...for the money, they are a great choice.

Buy Local!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nifty7. Show nifty7's posts

Hebrew National are my favorite, best flavor and pure beef, no fillers or disgusting by-products.  Nathan's all beef are a close second.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moongrl. Show moongrl's posts

Hebrew National gets my vote !

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PistolPete1. Show PistolPete1's posts

[Quote]Essems were the staple at our house growing up - they would be tough to beat if they were still around.

Matty, you can still get Essems at your local DeMoulas!

For me, the local brands are tops as well.  Deuthcmackers, Kayem, Pearl, Jordans of Maine (the red ones!) Schonland's, and of course, Essems are all awesome.  Oscar Mayer is nothing but heartburn.

The Ball Park 'Grill Masters' are pretty good, but I usually opt for a local dog....

I hate to admit though, that I like a 'Coney island' bun over a New England roll to park my dogs in.

Also, I discovered this while having hot dogs for breakfast when the Sox were playing the Japan games...  try a little wasabi on your hot dog some time, it really gives the barker a little 'something'...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TGer. Show TGer's posts

In my travels through life, i can honestly say I have never had a bad hotdog, or bad 2-3 hot dogs. But there are some big differences in ones that are just fairly yummy to mind alteringly yum yum. Interestingly enough, it's not just the hot dog itself that determines the yum factor. What surrounds the hot dog including the bun (is it a bun that has been steamed or is it grilled or is it a few days old out of the bag and a tinge stale?) Also, the environment plays a role. You could eat a fenway frank in your backyard and think, "this hot dog is okay, but not great" and then have that same fenway frank at fenway park and think you just ate a dog that tasted so good, you wouldve thought you bit into a filet mignon at Mortons.

With that said, my top choice is Pearl on a soft steamed bun. Second would be Wellshire Farms All Beef franks. And put both ketchup and mustard on those dogs, People.... no relish. Hotdogs do not like cucumbers.