What's your favorite brew?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheScareAlsoCrows. Show TheScareAlsoCrows's posts

Re: What's your favorite brew?

Boston Molasses Disaster Smoked Imperial Porter (brewed by me)

From the store, it's Arrogant B-stard (Stone) or Hop Devil (Victory), but when I want to go mild on the bitterness, Triticus (Harpoon) or the Leinenkugel 1888 Bock are also excellent.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevatee. Show stevatee's posts

Pliny the Elder by Russian River Brewing, hoping to finally try Pliny the Younger next month.  

MAXIMUS by Lagunitas is a pretty good and reasonably priced/locally available

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cobiwan. Show cobiwan's posts

I am an Boston expat living in Alaska and a big IPA lover. I have to say I haven't had many good east coast IPAs -- Harpoon is just OK.  I am big fan of Oregon breweries -- Widmer Broken Halo IPA, Dechutes Inversion IPA, Bridgeport IPA -- which I can't find when I back visiting in the Boston area. Lagunitas brewery out of Calif. is another awesome brewery.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nsaeeaw. Show nsaeeaw's posts

New England Gandhi and Flying Dog Raging B1tch

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rduby. Show rduby's posts

Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA, Sam's Latitude 48 IPA - and Sweetwater IPA which is only available in the southeast  - but it one of the better small batch breweries.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from das19. Show das19's posts

My Favorite brew is Fat tire ale from New belgium Brewery out of Fort Collins Colorado. Too bad they do not distribute in New England. I am hoping that will change soon.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from deejm2112. Show deejm2112's posts

Former Bostonian living on Oregon here...and I'll tell you this is hop heaven, New England breweries have nothing on the beer out here, it makes even the hoppier east coast beer taste like water (leaving Dogfish Head out of it...120 Minute IPA rocks)

Bridgeport Hop Czar Imperial IPA- my current number one (12 packs for $14!)
    Laurelwood Brewery...local brew pub, check them in the airport when it town for some Workhorse IPA
    Currently have some "Brrrr" in the fridge (Widmer Brothers).

Other notables are Dechutes Inversion IPA, anything Stone, many great beers mentioned above, Pliny the Elder...nice

I do miss Harpoon IPA but it's lost it's strength because the beers out here are so hoppy.

For the best Imperial Stout see if you can find Dechutes The Abyss....wonderful stuff.

One of latest trends out here is barrel aging too. Everyones kind of tired of going for the high IBU's so they're moving towards the barrel aging, burbon barrels, pinot noir barrels, you name it. This is creating some nice new unique flavors.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimshoez. Show jimshoez's posts

Re: What's your favorite IPA?

San Diego is the IPA capital of the world/hop heaven!  Green Flash IPA and Imperial IPA is top dog here with a handful of other top tier ales from Stone, Ballast Point, and Alesmith.  Darn good stuff!!!  Makes me so hoppy to live here!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KPortMaine. Show KPortMaine's posts

Great job identifying great beers!

As I type, I'm enjoying a Wachusett IPA.  That said....

I really, really, really enjoy the Stone brews.  They do a fantastic job.

There's another crazy IPA called Furious brewed by Surly in MN.  They only sell w/in MN and there's a packy that ships (where allowed).  Love the stuff.  My sister (lives in MN) knows whenever she comes home she must bring me some.  Sold in 16oz cans.  Hopier than the Red Racer which by the way is so grapefruity.  Check out Surly!

Also, when I'm in the Chi-town area, I hit Two Brothers up in Warrenville.  Their Heavy Handed is delicious.

Staples in the refrigerator are Harpoon IPA & Shipyard Fuggles IPA.  Shipyard brews fantastic english style ales.

Anxious to check out Green Flash.  I'll have to check Julio's in MA or Tully's in ME.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KPortMaine. Show KPortMaine's posts

In Response to Re: What's your favorite brew?:
    [QUOTE]Former Bostonian living on Oregon here...and I'll tell you this is hop heaven, New England breweries have nothing on the beer out here, it makes even the hoppier east coast beer taste like water (leaving Dogfish Head out of it...120 Minute IPA rocks) Bridgeport Hop Czar Imperial IPA- my current number one (12 packs for $14!) Laurelwood Brewery...local brew pub, check them in the airport when it town for some Workhorse IPA Currently have some "Brrrr" in the fridge (Widmer Brothers). Other notables are Dechutes Inversion IPA, anything Stone, many great beers mentioned above, Pliny the Elder...nice I do miss Harpoon IPA but it's lost it's strength because the beers out here are so hoppy. For the best Imperial Stout see if you can find Dechutes The Abyss....wonderful stuff. One of latest trends out here is barrel aging too. Everyones kind of tired of going for the high IBU's so they're moving towards the barrel aging, burbon barrels, pinot noir barrels, you name it. This is creating some nice new unique flavors.
    Posted by deejm2112[/QUOTE]

Seriously, who would think Harpoon IPA would be so tame?  Still a great brew, but ...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from normabbott. Show normabbott's posts

Re: What's your favorite brew? Ipswich

Ipswich IPA is one of my favorite Massachusetts IPAs. It is brewed by Mercury Brewing Company of Ipswich Mass. 6.50% ABV. Local and fresh

May be a bit hard to find but is worth a try. I get mine at Kappy's in Sudbury.  A bit expensive but it does go on sale ocassionally.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimmyP. Show TimmyP's posts

Re: What's your favorite brew? Ipswich

In Response to Re: What's your favorite brew? Ipswich:

Let me say that a trip to Santa Rosa, CA & Russian River Brewing is a trip seeking the holy grail of IPAs.

Pliny the Elder is as good as advertised (I shipped a six-pack to my place in AZ when I was up that way and wished I could have shipped more...) and they have several others on tap -- Blind Pig is great as well (although no Elder).

They also specialize in Belgians -- no fewer than 6 on tap at any one time.

Stone is great as well, my favorite among regionally-distributed IPAs.

If you are ever in Phoenix, Four Peaks Brewery (not far from ASU) has the best IPA in the state ("Hop Knot"); San Tan Brewing in Chandler a close 2nd ("Hop Shock").

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA, Sam's Latitude 48 IPA - and Sweetwater IPA which is only available in the southeast  - but it one of the better small batch breweries.
    Posted by rduby[/QUOTE]

Must put another good word in for the DfH 60 minute.  I thought that if 60 were that good how awesome would the 90 minuute IPA be, but it was too bitter and not nearly as smooth. Dogfish Head 60 minutes is my favorite IPA.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lawboy. Show lawboy's posts

Steel Rail
    www.2beerguys.com/images/steelrail.jpg" alt="Steel Rail" />

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joey9001. Show Joey9001's posts

First of all, I am surprised by all the Stone fans.  Not surprised that people like them(They are my FAVORITE brewers) just surprised that more people are actually learning about them.

My favorite type of beer would have to be an English Ale or an Irish Stout.  Give me an Old Speckled Hen or Guinness anyday and I am happy.

I am also a big IPA guy and my favorite beer ever is Stone Brew's Ruination IPA. 

"A Liquid Poem to the Glory of the Hop" !!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaTransplant. Show CarolinaTransplant's posts

I'm very excited that someone gave Sweetwater a shout out!  Sweetwater 420 is amazing.

Something more local, I love the stuff at Blue Hills.  Their Anti-Matter American Pale Ale is amazing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

I will usually like a beer if the color is red or brown or black. 
    If its a yellow (termed "light" i.e. lagers I will definitely hate it. White cloudy beer I am ambivalent about).
    Sadly, they generally only serve these light girly beers in restaurants so whenever I eat out I always have to suffer a lager or get spirits. Thankfully I prefer to eat food in a real pub (see my priorities?), where the food sucks but beer is good. 
    Current fave= Pig's ear brown from Woodstock Inn (NH):
    Fave 2 = Banana bread beer. Imported from UK. Sold by Sunset Tap and Grill (Allston bar with a HUGE selection of beers). 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I bet you'd really enjoy Sam Adams Chocolate Bock, plasko.  Hard to find, though, and I haven't seen it on tap since I had it 10 years ago at Doyle's in JP, and even they didn't have it all the time.  Look for it. :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

[QUOTE]I bet you'd really enjoy Sam Adams Chocolate Bock, plasko.  Hard to find, though, and I haven't seen it on tap since I had it 10 years ago at Doyle's in JP, and even they didn't have it all the time.  Look for it. :)
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Hi Kar, thanks for the advice. Think I might have had this round the corner from Doyle's at the Mission Bar, just a few weeks ago! Can't be 100% sure it was a Sam Adams but I remember being surprised that I liked the beer from that company so it might well have been theirs! Love chocolate beers. Mmmmm.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joey9001. Show Joey9001's posts

Plasko are you sure you know what a lager is?  Sam Adams Chocolate Bock is a lager.  Also, Dunkel is another style of a dark lager.  I fail to see how a lager is a girly beer.  The only lager I could see being construed as a girly beer would be a pilsner.  Although there are a lot of good pilsner's, just not American ones like Bud Light haha.

Here is a quick little diagram type thing for the basic lagers that I can name off the top of my head.

Pilsner - pale yellow (American beers such as Bud Light, Miller, etc.  Those suck but there are some AWESOME Czech beers like Pilsner Urquell)
    Marzen - pale to amber to brown (basically your Oktoberfests)
    Bock - Reddish to brownish(There are a bunch of different styles though and some are a goldish brown you could say.)  Also, I am not a huge fan but I know Sam Adams makes a few and they are very popular in Canada, not sure of any names off the top of my head though
    Dunkel - Dark Red to very dark red/brown(Can't think of any popular companies that make any to show you examples but I did have the pleasure of visitin gthe Hofbrau Munchen in germany a few years ago.  They only make one beer and it is a dunkel, it was great.

Anyway, point is, don't hate on lagers, just the pilsner style. =P (Unless they are from the Czech Republic, drink a few of those and try to tell me they taste bad!)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

[QUOTE]Plasko are you sure you know what a lager is?  Sam Adams Chocolate Bock is a lager.  Also, Dunkel is another style of a dark lager.  I fail to see how a lager is a girly beer.  The only lager I could see being construed as a girly beer would be a pilsner.  Although there are a lot of good pilsner's, just not American ones like Bud Light haha. Here is a quick little diagram type thing for the basic lagers that I can name off the top of my head. Pilsner  - pale yellow (American beers such as Bud Light, Miller, etc.  Those suck but there are some AWESOME Czech beers like Pilsner Urquell) Marzen - pale to amber to brown (basically your Oktoberfests) Bock - Reddish to brownish(There are a bunch of different styles though and some are a goldish brown you could say.)  Also, I am not a huge fan but I know Sam Adams makes a few and they are very popular in Canada, not sure of any names off the top of my head though Dunkel - Dark Red to very dark red/brown(Can't think of any popular companies that make any to show you examples but I did have the pleasure of visitin gthe Hofbrau Munchen in germany a few years ago.  They only make one beer and it is a dunkel, it was great. Anyway, point is, don't hate on lagers, just the pilsner style. =P (Unless they are from the Czech Republic, drink a few of those and try to tell me they taste bad!)
    Posted by Joey9001[/QUOTE]

You are right, its just the girly yellow ones I hate! Too crisp and refreshing tasting for me (yuck). Also the current fad for diet beers does amuse me. They are cunningly referred to as "light" (eg bud light, coors light, miller light etc), and always have over the top manly commercials with 10trillion hot women as the makers know its a hard sell to get dudes to drink diet beer. Thankfully they are also a bit lower in alcohol too, so the truly girly-boys can drink more and feel all manly. LOL.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joey9001. Show Joey9001's posts

At least the commercials are funny =P

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

Harpoon

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: What's your favorite brew? : Hi Kar, thanks for the advice. Think I might have had this round the corner from Doyle's at the Mission Bar, just a few weeks ago! Can't be 100% sure it was a Sam Adams but I remember being surprised that I liked the beer from that company so it might well have been theirs! Love chocolate beers. Mmmmm.....
    Posted by plasko[/QUOTE]

I bet that was it!  It isn't even reminiscent of the rest of SA's line, a very surprising departure, indeed. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joey9001. Show Joey9001's posts

SA's line has a lot of different beers and a lot of different styles, it isn't surprising in the least.