What's your favorite snack cake?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCFeaturesEditor. Show BDCFeaturesEditor's posts

What's your favorite snack cake?

What did your mom pack in your lunchbox - twinkies? Drake's coffee cakes? Devil dogs? Tell us about your favorite snack cakes, and why you love them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: What's your favorite snack cake?

Little Debbie Oatmeal Sandwich Pies (or were they cookies?) were my favorite (extremely occasional) treat because of the delightfully chewy texture and the frosting between the cookie layers.  It was the best ratio of sandwich to frosting.  I haven't eaten one in decades, and I doubt I'd think they taste so great, now, but those were my childhood favorite of such things.  I'm not going to ruin my memory of them by actually eating one, now, though; I'd probably spit it out.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Discretion is the better part of valor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tuxcat26. Show tuxcat26's posts

I grew up in Pennsylvania, and Tastykakes were the only way to go!  The Butterscotch Krimpets were the best - Peanut Butter Tandytakes were good too.  Well, they were all good, but the Krimpets were special.  They were a rare treat for us, as my mom was very food conscious.  They do sell Tastykakes in boxes around here, the recipes seem to have changed and, as with everything these days, they're not quite as good as they used to be.  If they sold them individually, I'd buy one once in a while.  Actually, the Tasty Baking Company was in financial trouble a couple of years ago, and several well known chefs came to their rescue with a little cookbook full of recipes using Tastykakes.  Tastykakes were so good because they weren't too sugary, I would say their flavor was derived from lots of butter - no doubt very high in fat.  Maybe that's why they're different now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AguaCaliente. Show AguaCaliente's posts

Hostess Snowballs. The WHITE ones. Then Drake's Coffee Cakes. Finally, Hostess Cupcakes. Dentists all over the U.S. made fortunes off these things!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

Snack cake?

Do they make bacon pies?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1204653. Show user_1204653's posts

snow balls - any color

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AmazonPlanet. Show AmazonPlanet's posts

In response to user_1204653's comment:

snow balls - any color

Amen to that!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from donelda. Show donelda's posts

You left out my top 5: Ring Dings, Funny Bones, Yodels, Reverse Yodels, and Hostess Fruit Pies

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lkelly1123. Show lkelly1123's posts

It's not necessarily a cake, but in our house it was always Flaky Puffs.  Always.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sms75. Show sms75's posts

Little Debbie Star Crunch... basically a chocolate rice krispy treat with added caramel.

Also Little Debbie brownies, so fake, so delicious.  I had one recently and they still have that wonderful chewy texture.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Seebell. Show Seebell's posts

I used to love 'Ring Dings' and "Devil Dogs' and 'Funnybones' as a kid - and I'd always have one of those in my lunch once a day.  Now I like 'Swiss Rolls' - but weren't they called something else in the 70's?  I can't rememnber - but I remember they were covered individually in tin-foil like the ring dings. 

Meow - scratch - Purrrrrrrr - Reeeeeeeeow....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from eastieone. Show eastieone's posts

Funny bones.  Twinkies? Never!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Marty1211. Show Marty1211's posts

In our house it was generic Scooter Pies.  Cheap but sweet.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ms-Demeanor. Show Ms-Demeanor's posts

You are right on about TastyKakes but you left out the vanilla Juniors with the milk chocolate frosting. TastryKakes really are better than any of the brands discussed in the article. But I also remember Dolley Madison snack cakes, like Zingers and GooGoos, and they were excellent in their day, too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jaden. Show Jaden's posts

Toss up between Funny Bones with the almost real tasting peanut butter filling and plastic covered chocolate frosting or whoopie pies with the tooth achingly sweet frosting middle which probably contributed more to diabetes research than all the public service announcements combined.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpiorising. Show Scorpiorising's posts

Does anyone remember Dinkie Twinkies? I can't remember what they were but I do remember a HUGE fight in the neighbor's house next door where we could hear someone yelling "Heidi got TWO Dinkie Twinkies and I didn't get ANY." 

That became sort of a phrase in our family.  But I don't know remember what a Dinkie Twinkie was.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpiorising. Show Scorpiorising's posts

In response to Seebell's comment:

I used to love 'Ring Dings' and "Devil Dogs' and 'Funnybones' as a kid - and I'd always have one of those in my lunch once a day.  Now I like 'Swiss Rolls' - but weren't they called something else in the 70's?  I can't rememnber - but I remember they were covered individually in tin-foil like the ring dings. 

Were they called Dinkie Twinkies? I think Dinkie Twinkies were like Ho Hos and Swiss Rolls.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from eastieone. Show eastieone's posts

In response to Seebell's comment:

I think you're talking about Yodels.

19. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts