What's your favorite winter food?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

OK. So it's not officially winter but the first snow of the season has hit Boston streets.

What's your favorite winter food? Hot chocolate? A hot toddy? Beef bourguignon or some other comfort food? Please share your thoughts and recipes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from duplessis. Show duplessis's posts

The first snow of the year has to be welcomed with hot chocolate!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sapblatt. Show sapblatt's posts

When I was a drunk it was always Scotch on the Rocks...I guess now it is roast beef

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccbayer. Show ccbayer's posts

upper crust pizza and a whoopie pie from zathmary's (RIP)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccbayer. Show ccbayer's posts

oh! And a plain donut with tea from dunkin donuts.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradsox04. Show bradsox04's posts

Favorite winter food: Beef stew. Brown some stew beef cut into 1 inch cubes. Add red potoates, carrots, quartered onions, garlic (optional), chicken broth (optional), sliced celery, salt and pepper. Cover with water and/or broth and simmer for about 2-3 hours. In the last half hour add some hearty red wine (Ex: Burgundy) to taste.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjd123. Show sjd123's posts

Potato Au Gratin

4 large sliced Idaho Potatoes...place half in a casserole dish, top with 1 onion, diced and sauteed in butter. Take three tablespoons of butter in a saucepan and once melted, add three tablespoon of flour, wisk together. Add two cups milk, wisk together and cook for a couple of minutes, add two cups of shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese, melt together and pour over the top. Cook 1 1/2 to 2 hours at 400 degrees. Top with cheese if desired. Optional...add ham, chives, hot sauce or paprika.

Good with thick cut pork chops with barbeque sauce on top, and green beans. My very picky kids love it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hking44. Show hking44's posts

homemade Pasta Fagoli soup and my mom's homemade gnocci, sauce and meatballs!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjd123. Show sjd123's posts

Oh have a little spirit, why don't you...that's what it's called. (Maybe you need a glass or two) Mulled means to heat with sugar and spices....It is an actual word.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chlyn. Show chlyn's posts

Tarte au Sucre - French Canadian maple syrup pie

2 eggs, 1 c brown sugar, salt, 2 tsp vinegar, 1/2 c maple syrup, 6 tbsp melted butter, 2/3 c chopped nuts, pie shell

Mix the eggs, sugar, salt, vinegar and maple syrup. Add the chopped nuts and the melted butter. Fill pie shell. Bake at 450 deg for 10 min, and at 350 deg for the next 30 minutes. Serve hot or cold, covered with whipped cream.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sandybaby. Show sandybaby's posts

I love pasta fagioli...its a white or pink small bean soup in a tomato based broth. You can go to any recipe website to find a recipe. The only fat is the olive oil and beans are high in fiber. I recommend a small tubular pasta like ditalini, it holds the broth well. If you choose, you can sprinkle grated cheese but this will, of course, up the fat.

You can also heat chick peas with olive oil, throw in a leafy green like spinach or rabe, have over pasta (or not).

I'm Sicilian and LOVE the "peasant" foods my grandmother always cooked for us.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chefa1a. Show chefa1a's posts

nothing like a hearty braised osso bucco on a cold night

osso bucco with root veggies