What's your favorite winter stout?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCFeaturesEditor. Show BDCFeaturesEditor's posts

What's your favorite winter stout?

It's the season to warm up. Which winter stouts do you prefer? Check out how 16 winter stouts stacked up, and weigh in here.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patg72. Show patg72's posts

Re: What's your favorite winter stout?

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tater. Show tater's posts

I had the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout last night and was very impressed,

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from buddha024. Show buddha024's posts

As mentioned above Brooklyn Black Chocolate is great. I would also add the always superb Victory Brewing co.'s Storm King stout.

Speaking of my favorite brewer, Victory.... my all time favorite Hop Wallop seems to have disappeared from shelves, and it's hard to find the new (replacement for Wallop?) Dirt Wolf. And the 4 pack has made a comeback to my disappointment. Anyone seen Wallop around these days? What about the winter seasonal Yakima Glory from Victory?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from asc2. Show asc2's posts

Founders Breakfast Stout

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from deborahgal. Show deborahgal's posts

Re: What's your favorite beer? Old Rasputin

Very thoughtful review, Mr. Hughes. I salute you and your team.

Disclaimer of sorts: I am a year-round drinker of Russian Imperial Stout. Specifically, Old Rasputin for its tremendous complexity. There are really very few equals.Stone Belgo Anise Russian Imperial Stout is an equal, but rarely encountered (Russell House Tavern supply is extinguished, I believe). Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout is a near second.

Pretty good/not bad if Old Raputin not available: Victory Storm King, Yeti Imperial Stout, Sam Adams Imperial Stout (really, it's pretty OK), Narwhal Imperial Stout, Deschutes Abyss.

The issue with oatmeal stouts (e.g. Founders) is they taste like...oatmeal. Not a fan.

As a consumer who believes in investing locally, I look forward to drinking Baby Tree and Clown Shoes imperial stouts. Thank you for the review!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ObiWannabe. Show ObiWannabe's posts

In response to buddha024's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As mentioned above Brooklyn Black Chocolate is great. I would also add the always superb Victory Brewing co.'s Storm King stout.

Speaking of my favorite brewer, Victory.... my all time favorite Hop Wallop seems to have disappeared from shelves, and it's hard to find the new (replacement for Wallop?) Dirt Wolf. And the 4 pack has made a comeback to my disappointment. Anyone seen Wallop around these days? What about the winter seasonal Yakima Glory from Victory?

[/QUOTE]

Hop Wallop has been retired by Victory (love their beer, Storm King is an awesome stout).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ObiWannabe. Show ObiWannabe's posts

After the lovey beer I had last night I will nominate it, GDBC's Oak-Aged Yeti.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rdbiker. Show rdbiker's posts

Jacks's Abby Framinghammer

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbinder. Show dbinder's posts

I'm a big fan of Avery Mephistopheles and Dogfish Worldwide.
    I also just tried Pretty Things Barbapapa and completely agree with the review here.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ObiWannabe. Show ObiWannabe's posts

In response to rdbiker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Jacks's Abby Framinghammer

[/QUOTE]

It's great (and the barrel-aged variety will come out shortly) but it is a Baltic Porter, not a stout.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from greendownlow. Show greendownlow's posts

nice review of stouts

Though I work in the wine trade, I've been a stout fan for decades. I love the way you wrote without holding back, being stone cold blunt. I'll try more than a few of the stouts mentioned, though the Alc. levels in these beers is climbing too high(no?). Many modern winemakers suffer from the same "powerful, bold" style/trap. 

As a side note, describing the densely tannic, bitter/sweet, 3 years in oak, Amarone as "silky" when comparing it to one of the stouts, is proof you may have never tasted the wine.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYFrankNY. Show NYFrankNY's posts

Sadly Boston.com missed one of the best Imperial stouts I've ever had...

But it's from New York ... is that why???

Frost Monster, from Captain Lawrence Brewery, Elmsford, NY.

Truly one of the best!
    Enjoy!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsox183. Show redsox183's posts

Ipswich Oatmeal Stout....very good. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from somvill. Show somvill's posts

Went out and bought the Blaecorn Unidragon on the advice here. Awful! and I reverted to to the BBC RIS which is wonderful and hides the 8.5% abv nicely.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from conure. Show conure's posts

One of the most honest reviews of anything I have ever read.  I have no idea if you are correct or not but your passion shows and it makes me want to drink stout again.  If only I could get these in Utah. Thank you for your thoughtfulness. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from deanthemachine. Show deanthemachine's posts

Haven't tried it yet, but on high recommendations will be trying Boulevard Smokestack Series Imperial Stout aged in whiskey barrels.  I personally find IRS a little too bitter and heavy and prefer a chocolaty porter like Maine Brewing Co.'s King Titus or or a dark Belgian Ale like Allagash Black.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dobbinsstreet. Show dobbinsstreet's posts

All stouts finish second to Guinness.  Woodstock, NH Wassail Ale is a great winter ale

Sections
Shortcuts