What's your secret ingredient?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

What's your secret to the perfect Thanksgiving? Whether its an actual ingredient in the food or just a particular tradition, what makes the day your own?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OldManRiver. Show OldManRiver's posts

The thing that makes my family's Thanksgiving unique is that I always cook the turkey over a wood fire in my outdoor stone oven.

We make lots of things indoors too, but that smokey tender turkey really makes it all special.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wino369. Show wino369's posts

Re: What's your secret ingredient?

smoke, thats the best   smoke that bird in a wood fired smoker..david

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I inject the turkey with a compound butter with sage, thyme, rosemary, tarragon, garlic, and peppercorns.  I melt it and let it simmer with the herbs for an hour then strain off the herbs and milk solids.  2 sticks for a 13 lb bird infuses the meat with delicate herb flavor and plenty of moist goodness.  The skin gets rubbed with a goodly amount, and since the milk solids are gone it doesn't burn.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, maybe I should get that injector after all for next TG. Mmmmm!
    How else do you use it?
    I am downsizing - and I have several small appliances, I hardly ever use. So it is important to me to not buy another thing, just to have it sitting unused. I have given some of them to my DIL. Like my Tortilla Maker f.ex. I must have used it maybe 3 times. Don't know, what I was thinking buying it. How easy it is to just pick up a pack at the grocery store, even though I am a stickler for home made everything.
    I also have a nice Brule burner, given to me as a gift. Have used it once. Unless you are a pastry maker, I don't think you need one.
    Sorry BDC, I know I went off the topic.
    My secret to a great Thanksgiving is gathering the people I love the most. For us TG has never been a "party" - but a gathering to reflect on all the things, that make us a family. - Pingo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, Pingo!  I think this is totally on-topic!  The flavor injector is a secret ingredient of sorts, right? :)

Anyway, I use it in all my roasts and even whole chicken breasts.  I like the one I have OK, but I don't think The Kitchen Place sells anymore.  It is plastic, and it's starting to lose suction after 2 years of use.  So, I'm going to replace it with the first one in this list despite the price.  The one I had was $12, and if I have to replace it every 2 years it's not more economical than the stainless steel one.  DO NOT buy Williams Sonoma injector.  I had two, and they both broke within the first few uses. 

Even if you don't have a Kitchen Place near you, this is the best collection of decent injectors I've found, and I've done a full press search for a long time.

The Kitchen Place injectors

I am TOTALLY with you on keeping things neat, clean, simple, and uncluttered in the kitchen. I do not own ANYTHING I don't use regularly and find to be earning its space year after year.  This gadget earns well above it's small bit of kitchen real estate and it's price tag even at $25.

P.S.  I'm shopping around, and I found this one on overstock that looks good to me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

wino, I've read that artichokes have a chemical in them (sorry, can't remember specifically what it is) that distorts/ruins the taste of fine wine.  What wine do you serve with them that holds up?   I'd LOVE to enjoy a nice glass of wine with the artichoke but am afraid of the damage to the bouquet it would do.

(BDC, it would be nice to have the Reply function back...)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks Kar! I think that one looks good too. How are they to clean? Do they come apart and do they go in the DW? I had to laugh at the overstock ad. "Nougat Rolling Pin" for $59. I always needed one - LOL

ETA. I e-mailed Dottie about the "reply" button. She e-mailed me back, that it is broken and it is gong to take some time to fix it. I miss it too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, they come apart to clean, pingo, but I would not put them in the dishwasher, or at least refrain from putting the plunger in because I think it damages the plunger just enough to make suction more problematic over time.  I take mine apart clean, put back together and then plunge hot soapy water in and out.  Then, hot clear water.  I hate washing dishes, but, again, this little gadget not only earns its drawer real estate, it earns its time in the sink.  Mine will get a workout this afternoon with the pork tenderloin I got on sale yesterday!  YAY!

Oh, thank you for pointing out that nougat rolling pin!  I'd missed it, and, of course, what decent home chef can be without it?!  I'll let DH know I'm spending $60 as soon as he's out of the shower.  He'll be elated!   HAHAHAHAHA  ;)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thank you Kar. I am considering getting one now.

Just made waffles this morning. Waffles w/ home made blueberry syrup. I think one of my "secret ingredients" is my waffle maker. With TJ's buttermilk pancake mix, I can whip up a nice breakfast in no time. I only have the "two waffles" size, and it is fine for me. I just realized this morning, how much I use it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, I believe you will not be disappointed with the injector.  It's so easy to make the compound butter and easier still to buy some nice marinade, but I know you make your own, anyway.  Just make extra dressing for shooting into your meat!

Where is everyone else?  We can't be the only ones with secrets on an anonymous message board. ;)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

PINGO -  if the baby lotion gets too pricey,  we have a family recipe -  I know all Chatters love to try new things.  It is soft and waxy  but warms immediately when put on the skin.

I think the Johnson and Johnson formula smells better,  but it is so dry in the Arctic,  family swear by this.
        The secret ingredient-  you start with the skin and underskin fat layer of an older Walrus  or Sea Lion  ...

Market Basket?  Shaws?   Hm,    I'll have to think on this one.

When you finish,  you have 4 separate products, Hair conditioning oil,  candle wax,  soap,  and waxy skin cream.  Plus a bonus,  lamp and stove oil for that soft,  bedroom light atmosphere,  heat and light.

I'll have to check store circulars in your area for the Walrus and Sea Lion, though.   You can't get them mail order,  they need to be fresh or  immediately frozen,  I cannot imagine what Express  shipping would be on a 3,000  pounder.

Wag.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Waggie, now I have to laugh a bit. You just can't be serious. No, we cannot get  Walrus or Sea Lion around here. I got a large bottle of Baby lotion for $1.99. $3.99, on sale for $2.99 and I had a $1.00 coupon. Can't beat that.

I just posted a message to you under Vit-A - thought you would be interested. Funny you should bring up the Walrus and Sea Lions just today. What a beautiful place Greenland is!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

I know you love to laugh,  Pingo!

Also to get bargains  -  that is a good price! for Johnson and Johnson Baby lotion,  and with the coupon a real deal. A name brand I like a lot.

The  CVS baby lotion  is the only generic I know that is as waxy  and protective for dry winter air  as Johnson and J, although I have only tried a few-  most get either oily  and rub off sooner,  or feel like Vaseline.

I like the Baby Lotion smell too!   Sheets etc.  could smell worse after a big baby has  curled up for 8 hours.    DH does not like the pink bottle,  but he never objects to having the lotion massaged on.   Funny how that is.  Hehe.

His family is northern Italian/ Alps -  not the oily Mediterranean skin, so he feels the dryness too. 

Sections
Shortcuts