Where do you find your favorite Valentine's Day chocolates?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Where do you find your favorite Valentine's Day chocolates?

Valentine's Day is approaching, so it's time to grab a box of chocolates for your special someone. Where do you go for chocolates?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

Re: Where do you find your favorite Valentine's Day chocolates?

Chocolates don't have to be individually made from a fancy chocolatier at $5 per piece to be good.
    Grab a box of whatever from a gas station. 
    I think Guylian Belgian Seashells are awesome. Simple and delicious, no pretentiousness required.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from faulknmi. Show faulknmi's posts

The Chocolate Truffle in Reading and Winchester is fantastic - try one of their signature giant peanut butter cups - and they will ship. They also have gluten free and sugar free options that taste great. http://www.thechocolatetruffle.com/

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dp-. Show dp-'s posts

Of course the taste/quality of the chocolate is most important, but for a special gift you also want to consider the presentation.  Teuscher Chocolates  (on newbury street)  http://www.teuscherboston.com/ has the best boxes.  They evern have boxes that fit like a glove around an engagement ring box.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from HeadBone. Show HeadBone's posts

I do not give junk food to people I love. Junk food is the wrong way to say I love you. When are we going to learn that in our disgusting, obese society?

Why don't you start a discussion on appropriate ways to express your love? And it doesn't only have to be things to buy. Promising to help cook dinner, or stop eating in the living room, or to spend 1 hour less watching TV to be spent snuggling or reading poetry to each other are just as valuable.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

In Response to Re: Where do you find your favorite Valentine's Day chocolates?:
    [QUOTE]I do not give junk food to people I love. Junk food is the wrong way to say I love you. When are we going to learn that in our disgusting, obese society? Why don't you start a discussion on appropriate ways to express your love? And it doesn't only have to be things to buy. Promising to help cook dinner, or stop eating in the living room, or to spend 1 hour less watching TV to be spent snuggling or reading poetry to each other are just as valuable.
    Posted by HeadBone[/QUOTE]

I agree.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

Thanks for re-posting that one, dog-lady. Wonder what happened to the original post? Censorship for not towing the line?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Suzy-Q. Show Suzy-Q's posts

Prides Crossing Confections.  Chris Flynn put turtles on the map in Massachusetts. I also know a few buttercrunch addicts, but prefer a basic dark chocolate bark myself these days....  :)  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I also agree - we know far too much about nutrition to give poison to our loved ones on purpose as a gesture of love.

BUT, for chocolates, I have to agree, Plasko, those hazelnut flavored seashell ones are tasty treats.  If I were to give anyone chocolates, I'd make them.  They're not difficult, and I can replace the sugar with natural stevia extract.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I don't believe chocolates are the devil or poison.  Relax and lighten up everyone.  Anything in moderation is fine.  Good Gawd... the food police has arrived..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Anyone who doesn't want the "poisonous" chocolates their loved ones give them on Valentine's Day, can send them to me.  I eat all and any brands - name ones, of course!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlupeDubble. Show BlupeDubble's posts

I've always delighted in giving a selection from the Whizzo Chocolate Company. Crunchy Frog, Anthrax Ripple, Cockroach Cluster....mmm.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Give it a rest people.  I'm sure everyone has enjoyed a chocolate or two.  We can't live in a bubble and not eat anything.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from HeadBone. Show HeadBone's posts

[QUOTE]Give it a rest people.  I'm sure everyone has enjoyed a chocolate or two.  We can't live in a bubble and not eat anything.
    Posted by Winter2011Bride[/QUOTE]

Yes, you're right. I shouldn't be so rigid. I haven't had a cigarette in over a decade. Maybe it's time to treat myself to one.

I know lots of people who say a little candy now and then can't hurt you. (They are all overweight.) I have friends who always say, "We have plenty of time." (They are always late.)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sailorgirl27. Show sailorgirl27's posts

Winfrey's in Rowley.  Awesome truffles, a large selection of sugar-free confections which don't taste any different that those with sugar and gorgeous displays.  And the fudge isn't too bad, either.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If we all just ate it once in awhile and were in the great health as a nation we used to be for it I'd not being calling it poison.  In the amounts people eat today, it's killing people, and I don't think it's fair to be called out for saying so.

Give it a rest?  Lighten up? Does anyone else remember when a box of chocolates really was a special treat and was nothing to worry about because "ocassional" meant way more then than it does, now?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I'm glad you mentioned Winfrey's, Sailorgirl.  I keep forgetting about that.  Last Halloween we took a ride up there - it's a lovely ride up through Topsfield, Ipswich to Rowley. When there are fund raisers around here, it's usually Winfrey fudge that they sell. I think it's good.  And, as you say, the novelty candy they have and displays are great.   I'm going to write that down somewhere for another day when DIL comes down with kids, I know she'd enjoy both the ride and their variety of chocolates.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fsmith95112. Show fsmith95112's posts

Martine's, Bloomingdale's 6th floor, NYC.

Burdick's is my second choice...convenient and less expensive.

But Martine's is simply heavenly.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Gowell's.........Hilliards too......BUT after losing 19 lbs since Jan 1, 2012 I'll ship any candy off to the fat lady in Omaha!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevenagle. Show stevenagle's posts

Phillips Candy House in Boston has the best chocolates by far. My wife love the dark chocolate pecan turtles.  www.phillipschocolate.com

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

When you reach 812 lbs it's time to stop eating......candy!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/13/keith-martin-worlds-fattest-man_n_1273230.html?ref=weird-news

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

[QUOTE]When you reach 812 lbs it's time to stop eating......candy! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/13/keith-martin-worlds-fattest-man_n_1273230.html?ref=weird-news
    Posted by RogerTaylor[/QUOTE]

Yikes..I would say so!
    I never want chocolate for Valentine's day. I had a disastrous experience with Valentine chocolate 3 years ago so now I would rather have anything but chocolate.

But..in answer to the original question..my favorite is Vermont Nut Free chocolate..so if I want candy I usually just order some online.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

I know it's after the fact, "twice".  Meaning that also I enjoy chocolate very much from February 15 on -- for the obvious reason. 

I agree re Pride's Crossing.  I also like Nichol's, just off 128 just west of the Annisquam.  Otherwise, it's nice to see chocolate shops "proliferating" in the Back Bay -- but oh, the prices!

Caution:  If you or the receiver has never tried sugar-free chocolate, it's wise to experiment first.  It can cause major gas.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

[QUOTE]I know it's after the fact, "twice".  Meaning that also I enjoy chocolate very much from February 15 on -- for the obvious reason.  I agree re Pride's Crossing.  I also like Nichol's, just off 128 just west of the Annisquam.  Otherwise, it's nice to see chocolate shops "proliferating" in the Back Bay -- but oh, the prices! Caution:  If you or the receiver has never tried sugar-free chocolate, it's wise to experiment first.  It can cause major gas.
    Posted by Firewind[/QUOTE]

Yes, the artificial sweeteners are laxatives!  Yuck, thanks for bringing this delicate subject up!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Well... it's important to mention in any discussion of sugar-free chocolate.  It's not on the labels, and one can have an impressive evening if one downs one, and wondrous evening if one downs a boxful.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/boxful

Surprised

Sections
Shortcuts