Who makes the best Pancakes..??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Who makes the best Pancakes..??

So, I missed National Pancake Day, but it got me to thinking how hard it is to find a breakfast place that makes great pancakes. Ironically..my favorite breakfast place makes mediocre pancakes, but there is a place in Dracut, Shaw's, that makes the best pancakes I've ever had ( besides my own of course..lol)
    So, where is your favorite place to order pancakes..?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Who makes the best Pancakes..??

Why would you go out if your own is the best you've ever had?  Mine are, too!  No line, no waiting, hardly any time to put together, tiny mess.  Much quicker and easier than going out.  I make Betty Crocker's buttermilk pancakes (from a BC recipe box), but I use spelt flour instead of all-purpose.  They are light and fluffy despite being whole grain, especially light and fluffy after I replaced VERY old baking powder, lol.  You can't do better than that at ANY restaurant.  I mean, you can eat in your PJs, too.

So, long story short, nowhere even comes close to homemade, and it's practically free to boot. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Kargiver, okay..excellent point. Breakfast is my favorite meal to go out for..but in reality..nothing beats homemade pancakes and being able to eat them in your jammies is a plus..lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Breakfast used to be my favorite meal to go out for, before I cooked much at all and was always happy for any excuse not to dirty one single bowl.  Now that I'm in a domesticated groove (an old lady, basically), I usually just leave a breakfast place disgusted that we paid top dollar for something I could have done better myself!  The only exception is if the place has phenomenal coffee - I'm not good at that.  LOL

BUT, I didn't mean to shut down discussion on the best place to go OUT for pancakes!  I've heard from a very reputable friend source who used to live a mile from this place that Johnny's in Newton Center is to die for...or at least to get out of ones PJs for. :) 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

In Response to Re: Who makes the best Pancakes..??:
    [QUOTE]Breakfast used to be my favorite meal to go out for, before I cooked much at all and was always happy for any excuse not to dirty one single bowl.  Now that I'm in a domesticated groove (an old lady, basically), I usually just leave a breakfast place disgusted that we paid top dollar for something I could have done better myself!  The only exception is if the place has phenomenal coffee - I'm not good at that.  LOL BUT, I didn't mean to shut down discussion on the best place to go OUT for pancakes!  I've heard from a very reputable friend source who used to live a mile from this place that Johnny's in Newton Center is to die for...or at least to get out of ones PJs for. :) 
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Hi everyone! There are so many ways to make pancakes,like adding choc chips, fruit, etc. I was wondering Kar about spelt. You've mentioned it before, and I had never heard of it. I just googled it. Does the spelt make the pancakes fluffier? I usually dont make pancakes because they feel like lead when I eat them. Any ideas?bg

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Kargiver..no worries...lol..and I generally feel the same way...coffee seems to be the main reason lately I like to go out for breakfast. I also make terrible coffee and never make it at home.
    Beastsgirl, I've never used spelt either. All the pancake extras you listed are yummy..my favorite when I'm home..? Chocolate chips and sliced bananas....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

bg, spelt is much like whole wheat; it's an ancient "cousin."  It does not make things fluffier - it's heavier than all-purpose white flour.  However, it's not genetically modified for shelf life, it has all the fiber and vitamins grain is supposed to have according to Mother Nature, and stays with you longer from the fiber.  Eating all-purpose white flour pancakes is barely better than a candy bar for breakfast, imo.  It either burns fast (if you are active for the day) or is stored as fat fast.  Whole grains have a slower burn and keep you feeling full longer so you eat less throughout the day and its energy is available to you without being stored first longer.  The reason we use it is that my DH has a very odd condition that causes inflamation (much like arthritis inflamation) when he eats processed carbs like white sugar and white flour.  Also, he has trouble with genetically modified food.  We can always tell - he gets all puffy and his joints ache.  Strange, but true.  So, I make all our bread-like products (bread, pancakes, crackers, pizza, biscuits, etc.) with spelt.  I get it online.

Here is a link to spelt on the World's Healthiest Foods site.

My pancakes are nice and fluffy from the leveners in the Betty Crocker recipe, baking powder and baking soda.

I just put frozen blueberries in my pancakes this morning, and I had a problem.  The berries were so cold that the batter didn't get hot enough on the inside to cook all the way even though they were nice and brown.  I ended up having to put them in the oven (because they had cooled all gooey) at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.  They were salvaged, but just take this as a word to the wise - cold ingredients mean longer cooking times!  Duh, I know, but there it is.

Glad I'm not the only one who can cook but can't make coffee!!  Smile

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Kargiver..I must use the same Betty Crocker recipe..and yes the leaveners are ..I'm sure ..what makes them so light and fluffy. It really is the best recipe I've tried so far. My former neighbor used to make some great tasting pancakes from oat flour and bring them over for breakfast...I keep meaning to get that recipe from him.
    By the way..the coffee was never very important until I started drinking it a few months ago..now I am thankful there is a Dunkins right up the road..lol

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Good morning,
    Can't understand, why you guys can't make a good coffee. Buy good roasted beans, use fresh cold water and a clean coffee pot.
    Dunkin Donut's beans are good, but TJ's French Roasted Beans are better. And  cheaper. Special occasions calls for TJ's Costa Rica beans. You buy them as beans and if you have a grinder at home, you grind them, just before you use them. I don't have one, so I grind them at the store. My beans never last that long anyway to get stale. I am a coffee drinker. Two cups in the morning will get me through the day. I don't drink coffee after 11 am. - Pingo

ETA:I know this is a pancake thread. Sorry if I went away from that. I use Betty's pancake recipe as well. Best ever. Now have to try it with spelt.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

---Why would you go out if your own is the best you've ever had?---
    Kar, to-go-out breakfast is one of my favorite outside meals. Maybe, b/c it is nice to be treated early morning, and not have to wash off all the stuck on eggs.
    We don't do it often, but only on special occasions. I expect to be treated tmw. on my BD. We recently found a lovely mom-n-pop breakfast place, and that is where we will end up. DH s taking the day off as a special gift to me.
    Funny thing is, when we go out for breakfast, I hardly ever order pancakes. If we do, DH and I usually share. We especially like the "French pancakes" which is more like a crepe. And I make those better at home. Go figure - LOL
    - Pingo

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Coffee, indeed, should be easy, and I do all those things.  Sometimes it's great, other times, awful.  I dunno.  We're tea drinkers at home, now. :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Pingo...the reasons why I don't make good coffee escape me as well. I've tried all suggestions..but actually..it may be not so much that my coffee tastes bad ( other people have not complained about it..lol)...as much as I prefer someone else to brew it.
    By the way..I have always been a tea drinker as well...lol

Sounds like the Betty Crocker recipe is pretty popular.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

It can be the coffeemaker, too.

My father never wanted coffee made at home, because he said the machine couldn't get the water hot enough. Then he bought a Bunn and he says it's a vast improvement. It's a total energy vampire, but the coffee is great.

Best pancakes I've had at a breakfast place are at Mul's in South Boston. Nice and fluffy. Mine at home are better, but sometimes it's just nice to go out.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good point about the maker, RFBF.  I made excellent coffee in my French press.  I used a thermometer and aimed for 200 degrees.  And, I ground my own favorite beans from Pete's:  Ethiopian.  Got out of the groove of using it; the coffee was expensive.

ETA:  I was a coffee fanatic.  I actually tasted every region's coffee that Pete's offered.  I French pressed two days' worth of each and kept a spreadsheet on notes and ratings.  Sumatra was my least favorite - what they call "earthy" I called "reminiscent of dirt."

Sorry, miscricket - couldn't resist the coffee part of the thread!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from plasko. Show plasko's posts

TODAY is the "real" pancake day if anyone is interested.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Plasko...yes it is..and I will be enjoying some for dinner...good call..!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

FYI..I tried pancakes at Village Pancake House in Rowley Mass..this past Saturday morning and they were absolutely delicious...the best I've had in a restaurant which means that Shaws has been bumped to #2..lol.
    Village Pancake is located on Route 1A right at the junction of 1A and 133. It's very pretty inside and out and a nice breakfast spot for food and atmosphere. The owner was visible and interacting with all the guests which is a real plus in my book.

Sections
Shortcuts