Any recipes to contribute?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Any recipes to contribute?

Wow, that's amazingly similar to my great-grandmother's soft molasses spice cookies!  All but one of the ingredients are the same but in different amounts - the only difference is that instead of rum, our family's has vanilla.  But, rum would be good, too. 

Here's a photo of ours:

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Hi Kargiver, if you have any more family recipes of your own, please add them in here. This forum has been quiet for far too long and I'm sure with the shorter amounts of daylight plus approaching cold and snow everyone will be much more interested in some good old comfort food.
    Granny

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

I know I'm going to love this thread. I love to start cooking this time of year. I wonder who "Joe Frogger" was. Fun name for a cookie.bg.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Seeing this post - - took out the Boston Globe Cookbook from the library this week.  Unfortunately, it is a new one made up of recipes from contributors to the Globe magazine, none of the old ones from Boston Globe Cookbook for Brides where Fireman's Wife, Irish Indian, Medico and others posted so many wonderful recipes.

Haven't forgotten request for gingerbread men and will post that one day when I know I'll be here a while. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

My mother used to make "Mamie Isenhowers Fudge" as a huge treat for after school. She got the recipe from Confidential Chat in the Globe years and years ago. If anyone has it, I would love it .bg.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Hi BG
    Guess what - I just went through some of my old files and sure enough here is what you are looking for.  Glad I could help you out.  I left the original "Globe" heading on it so it was easy for me to spot the recipe you were seeking.
    Granny

Mamie Eisenhower's fudge

By Globe Staff, 9/3/2003

Apparently the wife of former president Dwight Eisenhower was known for her fudge. This is made with both evaporated milk and marshmallow "fluff" (so it's sweet), and a candy thermometer isn't necessary. If you see homemade fudge at a bake sale, it's very likely to be a version of this, which has been popular with home bakers for decades. Makes four pounds.

4 1/2 cups sugar
    Pinch of salt
    tablespoons unsalted butter
    12-ounce can evaporated milk
    cups coarsely chopped pecans
    1-pint jar marshmallow cream (also called fluff)
    ounces semisweet chocolate
    ounces German sweet chocolate
    Butter a jelly roll pan or another pan that measures 11-by-16-inches.
    2. In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, salt, butter, and evaporated milk. Bring to a boil and let it bubble for 6 minutes.
    3. In a large bowl, combine the pecans, marshmallow fluff, and both semisweet and sweet chocolate. Pour the boiling syrup over the chocolate mixture. Beat until chocolate is all melted.
    4. Pour the fudge into the prepared pan. Let it sit for several hours at room temperature to firm up. Cut into 1-inch squares.
    Adapted from "The American Century Cookbook"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Grannyof7, THANKYOU! That is it! I loved that fudge as a kid, and remember my mother telling me it was a former presidents wifes recipe. I knew fluff was one of the ingredients. I am one of ten children, and I remember her saying it was expensive to make,so that was why she couldn't make it EVERYDAY. I will be shopping for the ingredients on Friday. bg.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

I AM so glad that I could help out and bring back a taste of long ago for you.
    One of 10 ? Wow, that was a big family even 'back in the day'  I have four grown children and 8 beautiful grandchildren ages 1, 2, 4, 5, 9, 10, 12 and 14.
    The 1, 2 and 14 year old are our granddaughters, all the rest are our boys.
    Good has been good because I've never had an empty crib here, always someone new to love.

Do hope we get more people joining this blog soon.  I love to exchange recipes and at one time even helped publish a cookbook for a local church.

Hugs, Granny

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Those church cookbooks have the best recipes - almost like the old Chat pages - all tried and true recipes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I make the recipe of Dear Abbys Pecan Pie every Thanksgiving and it is a huge hit.  Easy to make since I am not good at baking, just cooking.  But I am so going to make that fudge recipe!  I love fudge and it looks so easy to make!  Any recipe that has been around a long time is guarenteed to be delicious in my book : )

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

I know Toy Trumpet has a gingerbread men recipe she is going to share ... but I thought in the meantime I'll post one Ive used in here.  I can't wait until I see your recipe TT... my grandchildren love gingerbreadmen.
    Hugs, Granny

Gingerbread menIngredients:·         3/4 cup unsulphured molasses·         3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter·         3-2/3 cups sifted all-purpose flour·         1 teaspoon double-acting baking powder·         1 teaspoon salt·         1/2 teaspoon baking soda

·         ¼ teas. Ground cloves (use 1/8 teas. if you prefer less of the clove taste)

·         2 teaspoons ground ginger·         2 teaspoons ground cinnamon·         3/4 cup dark brown sugar·         1 large egg, lightly beatenPreparation:Warm molasses in a saucepan or microwave, but do not heat to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in melted butter. Let cool.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda also add the ginger clnnamon and clove at this time. Stir to mix then add the cooled molasses butter mixture and the lightly beaten egg Mix well.
    Refrigerate at least one hour until dough becomes stiff enough to roll.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Use parchment paper on your cookie sheets so cookies will easily come off without sticking.  NOTE: These do tend to stick so make sure you use the parchment paper.  In case you do not have parchment, you could use non stick aluminum foil.

Divide dough in half. Place each half between sheets of plastic wrap and roll out to a thickness of 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick. Refrigerate one half while you roll out the other half, so dough is kept cold.

Dip the gingerbread man cookie cutter in flour BEFORE YOU  cut shapes. Place on prepared cookie sheets. If using fruit  to decorate, press into place now. Bake 12 to 15 minutes until lightly browned around the edges. Cool completely on wire racks before decorating.   You can use anything to decorate, icing, plain shaking of confectioner’s sugar on top, add M & M for eyes – mouth, any type of candy will do.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

This is an old Confidential Chat Recipe from "Sun Kissed".

Gingerbread Men

1/3 cup soft shortening (Crisco)
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 1/2 cups molasses
    1/2 cup cold water
    7 cups sifted flour  (I use 6 1/2 cups and use another 1/2 cup to use in the rolling out of the gingerbread men).
    1 tsp each:  salt, allspice, ginger, cloves, and cinnamon
    2 tsps. baking soda
    3 tbsps. water

Mix together thoroughly, shortening, sugar and molasses.
    Stir in 1/2 cup cold water.
    Sift together flour and spices and add a third at a time for easing mixing.
    Dissolve the soda in the 3 tbsp. water and add.
    Divide the dough in 3 lumps that are patted down, wrap in wax paper and chill at least 2 hours. 
    Take out one lump at a time and roll out on well floured board.
    Place gingerbread men on parchment paper lined cookie sheets.  I decorate with raisin eyes and belly button.  Bake in 350 degree oven for 15 to 18 minutes.
    Slide parchment paper onto wire rack and let set up for a few minutes before removing the gingerbread men to cool.

Enjoy!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Good Morning TT

Your recipe for the gingerbread men sounds a lot easier (wish I had it when I had all my children living at home) than the one I offered so I'm going to try those this afternoon when two of my grandsons are arriving for a few hours. 
    I am so happy that we have some action on this blog, hope others join in soon
    and that we get lots of good recipes to share.

Granny

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Good morning, Granny,

Hope the gingerbread men turn out to your liking.  Kids love them any time of year, don't they?  I had posted a few months ago that when my grandson graduated this year, the thing he wanted me to make for his party were gingerbread men - in the summer, no less!  Posted a pic of them a couple of months back.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

My grandsons love my pumpkin bread and also pumpkin cookies. I personally am not much for pumpkin but those little boys adore it.  I have a granddaughter in high school and every time she comes down for a visit she begs for my fluffy scrambled eggs with a piece of my cornbread.  I can remember my favorite thing when I was a child was "War cake" which is an eggless, milkless cake which fit right in with wartime rationing of eggs, milk, etc.  I'd eat that any time of the day with a big slice of cheddar cheese on top.  YUMMY!

Think I'll go see if I have the recipe for that cake and share it... really nice to have this time of year because of all the spices in it.

Granny

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Reminds me of the "Wowie Cake" - chocolate with no eggs or milk.  Curious to see your spice version.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

tt thanks for the Gingerbread cookie recipe. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

War Cake Recipe

In a large sauce pan on top of stove put
    2 1/2 cups of dark brown sugar
    3/4 cup of shortening
    2 cups water
    (sometimes it is made with with 1 water and 1 cup whiskey or rum)
    1 box of raisins (more or less depending on what you prefer)

Bring to a full boil, stirring frequently so it doesn't burn on pan bottom.
    Lower to a slow boil and boil a full 15 minutes to develop flavor - then
    remove from heat and allow to cool down to lukewarm.

When mix has cooled down to lukewarm to touch, add the following ingredients

3 cups of flour
    2 tsp. baking soda
    1 tep. salt
    1 tsp. nutmeg
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1 tsp. cloves

Bake approximately 1 hour in an oven set at 325. Make sure to wait until the top looks browned but not burnt.

CAKE IS USUALLY SERVED WItH 2 or more thick slices of sharp cheddar cheese
    on the side of the plate.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Hi Winter Bride,  good to see you have joined the blog.  Any good recipes to share?

TT, your Wowie Cake sound good... care to share that recipe with us?

Granny

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Meatloaf Recipe

I made this tonight for DIL.  Original came from AllRecipes.com, and I recalculated recipe for 4 servings instead of original 8 and made a change with bread crumbs that were originally called for.  Delicious - moist.

3/4 lb. ground beef (may have been l lb, hard to tell from divided beef)
    1 egg
    1/2 chopped onion, lightly sauteed
    1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup Peppridge Farm herb seasoned stuffing mix that I presoaked in the milk.

1 tbsp. brown sugar
    1 tsp. prepared yellow mustard
    2 tbsp plus 2 tsp. ketchup

Mix together well, the beef, egg, sauteed onion and milk/stuffing mixture.
    Press lightly into 5x9 loaf pan.
    Mix brown sugar, mustard and ketchup together and pour over top.
    Bake in 350 oven for 1 hour. 
    Let set 10 minutes before turning out onto serving plate.

This is so moist.  Delicious.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Must try this tt along with Pingo's spicy meatloaf.  I am going to get as big as a house with this thread!  : )  I have put your DIL in my prayers too...  Have a great day tt and very happy you have a computer in your home now.  I am looking at a laptop myself with my income tax this year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

tt, that meatloaf sounds great too. Here is Alton Browns:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-meat-loaf-recipe/index.html

You must know by now, that I always make changes. I used 1 lbs. ground beef and 1 lbs. ground pork (pork in meatloaf gives a wonderful flavor). I didn't have garlic croutons, so I used Stove Top Stuffing instead - a little over 1 cup, didn't measure.  Also, I used 2 eggs and instead of 1/2 red pepper, I used 2 of my homegrown jalapeno peppers.

Alton Brown only bakes it for 45 minutes at 325 degrees (or to 155 degrees on your meat thermometer), so it was wonderfully moist.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Hi Granny.  I do have a banana bread recipe.  Here is the recipe.  I beleive that tt and Pingo have both made it.

Ingredients:
    2 eggs                          1 cup sugar
    1 1/3 flour                     1/2 cup oil
    1 teaspoon of salt        1 teaspoon baking soda
    2-3 ripe bananas          1 cup chopped walnuts (optional) or c chips

Pre heat oven to 350 degrees

Beat eggs and sugar with wooden spoon.  Add oil.  Mix well.
    Sift dry ingredients and add to mixture.  Add mashed bananas.  At this time add the chips or walnuts.  Spoon into greased loaf pan (I have the spray). 
    Cook 50-60 minutes.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

I can vouch for Winter Bride's banana bread recipe - it is in my permanent file now, taking the place of the previous one I had used for years.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Wonderful, I have three very ripe bananas on my counter right now and if they aren't cooked today the fruit flies will arrive for sure.  Can't wait to get a piece of this when it's done. 

Granny