Any recipes to contribute?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Re: Any recipes to contribute?

I'm going to cut & paste this recipe directly from my computer into this blog, if you can't read it for some reason just let me know and I'll actually 'type' the entire recipe in here.  I'm not sure where this originated but a few years ago I was at a church function and thought it was delicious and someone gave me the recipe.
    Granny

Chocolate Banana Foster Cake

1 box Devils food cake mix

1 cup sour cream

2 bananas peeled and mashed

2 Tbs. peanut butter

1 can (16 oz) each...caramel and chocolate frosting

2 Tbs. each chocolate sauce and chopped peaunts

heat oven to 350* prepare cake mix to package directions reducing water to 3/4 cup and adding sour cream

divide between 3 greased and floured 9" pans cool

In skillet cook bananas 3 minutes mix bananas and peanut butter and caramel frosting....top one layer with 1/3 banana mixture...repeat with second layer again repeat on top for third layer

coat the sides with the chocolate iceing taking 1/2 cup into pastry bag useing star tip pipe around the edges

use sauce to make spider design in center of cake and sprinkle with nuts

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celia2. Show Celia2's posts

Got this from a magazine long ago. It's a simple quick jelly recipe. I don't care for store bought apple jelly but really like this one. I sometimes cut back on the sugar to make it less sweet but the jelly does end up being a bit runnier when I do.

Apple Cinnamon Jelly
    4 Cups Unsweetened Apple Juice
    5 Cups Sugar
    1 packet Pectin
    Cinnamon Sticks

-Bring Juice & Pectin to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down.
    -Add sugar and bring back to full rolling boil for at least one minute. Make sure that sugar is completely dissolved.
    -Pour into jelly jars leaving 1/4 inch at top, drop in a cinnamon stick into each jar then place lid on jars
    -Process jars in boiling water to seal them (pectin packet has complete directions if you haven't done this before)
    -Remove jars from bath then let cool overnight

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Hi Celia2, nice to have you join us in here.  I am going to try making the jelly next weekend...but I have a question... approximately how much jelly are we talking about?  Four good sized jars or smaller jars?  Can the jelly be 'stored' in a plastic snap top container in the refrigerator for a week without going the sterilization routine?  I have a large family and was thinking I might make it and keep it 'fresh' in containers and send some home with each of my 4 children to be eaten by the 8 grandchildren.

Granny

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Enjoying being able to get  on the computer early in the a.m. (now that I have replaced my computer and don't have to wait to run to the library and use theirs!).  Here is the Wowie Cake - a recipe that appeared in the Chat pages way back when my boys were young.  It makes a rich moist dark chocolate cake, perfect to eat as is.  No need to frost.

This cake is mixed and made right in an 8x8 pan, altho when my boys were small I used to double the recipe and bake in a 9x13 pan.

1 cup sugar
    1 1/2 cups flour
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 cup cocoa
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tbsp. vinegar
    1/3 cup salad oil
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 cup cold water

Sift first 5 ingredients into ungreased pan.
    Add rest of the ingredients and stir until blended.
    Bake in 350 oven for 35 minutes.
    Cut and serve squares right from pan.  I top my servings with whipped cream, but the boys used to gobble it as is.

Originally submitted to Confidential Chat pages by Blue Pencil.
    Resubmitted by toytrumpet, September 2010

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celia2. Show Celia2's posts

It makes @ 7-8 8 oz jars. I have never kept it fresh but I think that the extra time in the hot bath helps bring out the cinnamon taste which IMO makes this jelly taste so good.

In Response to Re: Any recipes to contribute?:
    [QUOTE]Hi Celia2, nice to have you join us in here.  I am going to try making the jelly next weekend...but I have a question... approximately how much jelly are we talking about?  Four good sized jars or smaller jars?  Can the jelly be 'stored' in a plastic snap top container in the refrigerator for a week without going the sterilization routine?  I have a large family and was thinking I might make it and keep it 'fresh' in containers and send some home with each of my 4 children to be eaten by the 8 grandchildren. Granny
    Posted by Grannyof7[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Granny,
    I can vouch for Winter's Banana bread too. I have just made my 4th one today to send home with DS, when he leaves Friday. My kitchen smells divine.
    I only use 1/2 cup of sugar (and that is plenty sweet - at least for us) and I use melted butter instead of oil. I use chopped pecans, b/c I get a huge bag of fresh Texan pecans every year from DS and DIL. This bread is heavenly. Try it with  cream cheese in the morning. Will make you smile the rest of the day. Thanks Winter - Pingo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Winter Bride ...OMG...that banana bread is sooo good.  I made one last night, wrapped it in foil when cooled and then served it today when my three grandsons came in after school, they are 4, 5 and 10.  I could not believe how fast that cake disappeared!

Thank you so much for sharing the recipe.  I promised my husband I'd make another one this weekend just for him to have for breakfast.

Celia2  Thank you for answering my question about how many jars of jelly it makes.  I wonder if the cinnamon sticks were added with all the other ingredients if it would give the same cinnamon results - have to give that a try.

TT the cake sounds every easy to make and since my 10 yr old grandson loves to cook (but is autistic and easily frustrated by complicated recipes) this is one I'm going to do with him this weekend. Thank you for sharing with us.

Granny

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Another one that is easy for kids to made:

"Nilla Wafers
    Peanut butter
    Chocolate Chips melted (small amount)

Spread peanut butter between two "nilla wafers.
    Melt choc chips in a low saucepan.  Cool a little.
    Dip 1/2 of each sandwiched cookie in melted chocolate.
    Let set on wax paper.  Refrigerate if needed for complete set up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

This is another recipe that came from the Boston Globe many years ago.
    The originator is the person who use to bake these muffins for a large store in
    our area.

BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
     1/2 cup butter, (He used crisco)1 cup granulated sugar1/2 tsp. salt2 tsp. baking powder2 eggs2 cups all purpose flour1/2 cup milk1 tsp. vanilla1 pint blueberries, cleaned and rinsedsugar for sprinkling on top Cream together butter, sugar, and salt for 3 minutes.  Add baking  powder andeggs and mix well.  Add flour, milk, and vanilla, and mix well  again.  Foldin blueberries by hand.Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Grease and flour a 12 cup muffin tin,  and alsothe tops.  Fill cups to the top.  Sprinkle sugar on each  muffin. Bake at 450for 5 minutes, drop temperature to 375, bake 30 to 35  minutes more.  Cooland remove from pans. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Hi Granny,

Is that the recipe for the Jordan Marsh Blueberry Muffins?  Fond memories of having those when I was a child and went shopping with my mother : )

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Granny, I'm glad you liked the banana bread.  Pingo you can use applesauce instead of the oil.  It tastes about the same.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Here is a nice bread for serving anytime, tea, breakfast or even just as an add on at any meal.  My family loves it when I serve chicken soup and have this bread on the side ... they eat it as a dessert after they finish the stew.  One grandson asks me to make a 'special' loaf using lemon when he is coming because the favors that flavor.

Granny

Lime Bread

2/3 cup butter
    2 cups granulated sugar
    4 large eggs, slightly beaten
    2 tbsp fresh Lime Juice
    2 tbsp lime zest (grated peel)
    3/4 tsp vanilla extract
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    2 1/2 tsps baking powder
    1 cup whole milk
    1 tsp salt
    1 cup chopped walnuts (optional - I don't use them - ALLERGY)

Glaze
    2 tbsp  lime juice
    2/3 cup confectionary sugar

Grease 2 loaf pans. Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter and sugar: in the eggs and beat well. Pour in juice, zest (grated peel) and vanilla extract. Combine well, set aside. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add a little of the milk into the dry
    mixture, then a little of the creamed mixture, alternating until all are combined. Add (if you want) walnuts and mix to form a nice batter. Divide batter into 2 pans and bake 50-60 minutes until brown. For glaze, mix juice and sugar until blended and drizzle over the bread after baking when bread is lukewarm.
    Wrap. Slice in thin slices.
    Makes 2 loafs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celia2. Show Celia2's posts

Granny, The lime bread sounds heavenly. I'll have to try it next weekend. Right now I am waiting for the WOWIE cake to cool.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Good Morning Everyone
    Woke up to a chilly 40 degrees this morning.  Heard more rain for tomorrow here.  All this rain and cool weather made me start to think about a nice pot of chicken soup.

Chicken & Rice Soup Recipe

8 cups of chicken stock (the kind you buy in the store, just make sure it is UNSALTED) 

4 chicken breast halves, skin and fat left on

2 whole chicken legs with thighs, skin and fat left on

1 cup of petite carrots (this way you don't have to peel, slice the bigger type)

7 celery stalks, quartered crosswise

1 large onion, sliced 

1 teaspoons sea salt

1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper

3 cloves garlic, chopped

1 bay leaf 

2 teaspoons of freshly chopped basil

1 tablespoon  of Bell's poultry seasoning

1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice (you can always make rice in seperate pan and then add however much rice you want into individual bowls... I find this an easier method for two reasons...(1) the rice doesn't make soup cloudy if reheated the next day (2) If you add cooled down rice to the soup, it makes soup easier to eat because it is not boiling hot to the table) 

1. Combine water, chicken, carrots, celery, onion, salt, garlic and bay leaf in large pot. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 35 minutes.

2. With slotted spoon, transfer chicken and carrots to platter; cool slightly. Pull chicken meat off bones in bite-size pieces; set aside. Discard bones. Thinly slice carrots and reserve. Strain broth; discard solids in strainer.

3. Pour about 2 cups broth into heavy medium saucepan. Bring to boil,  add the rice and bring to full boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook until broth is absorbed and rice is tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.

4. replace the chicken, carrots into the large pot. Bring back to a simmer. Stir in cooked rice. Season soup with more salt and pepper if needed. Allow soup to cool down to almost lukewarm, add about 12 ice cubes (this will cause the fat on top to 'set' then just scoop off all the fat, reheat soup to proper eating temperature and then ladle soup into individual bowls.
    Sprinkle with parsley and/or Parmesan cheese and serve.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Hi Ambergirl

Sorry I didn't answer your question about the blueberry muffin recipe....
    yes, I do believe that when the article was posted originally it was stated that was the Jordan Marsh blueberry muffin recipe.  All I know is.... that muffin is so yummy!

Is anyone looking for a recipe?  I have lots in my files to share.
    Granny

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Thank you Granny!  I know my mom loved them and it brought back good  memories : )

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter, have to try the apple sauce.
    I took one up the our friends in NH - they were sold on it too. Fortunately, I had brought the recipe with me. The hostess is a great cook and I knew she would ask for the recipe. So, your banana bread is "spreading around" - so to speak.

[QUOTE]Granny, I'm glad you liked the banana bread.  Pingo you can use applesauce instead of the oil.  It tastes about the same.
    Posted by Winter2011Bride[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Nice to hear Pingo.  I have tried it, it's a good alternative for a bit of a healthier version. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Yummy Apple Dumplings

21/4 cups sugar

2 cups water

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves

1/4 cup butter

3 lg  apples

2 cups flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 cup butter

1/2 cup milk

Directions

Make a syrup by boiling together the sugar, water, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add 1/4 cup butter into the syrup and set aside.
    Sift together flour, salt and baking powder then cut in butter. Add milk all at once and stir until moistened and the dough can be gathered in a ball. Roll the dough out about 1/4 inch thick. Cut into six squares.

Slice a half an apple on each square and sprinkle generously with the spiced syrup. Dot with butter and fold the corners of the pastry to the center. Pinch together the edges and place an inch apart in a greased baking ban. Pour the remaining syrup over all. Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes. Serve warm 
    Makes six dumplings. I have found it is better to double recipe with grandchildren because these disappear very quickly.

Granny

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celia2. Show Celia2's posts

[QUOTE] Is anyone looking for a recipe?  I have lots in my files to share. Granny
    Posted by Grannyof7[/QUOTE]

Granny,
    Do you have any recipes for spice cake or spice muffins? The recipes that I've tried come out very mildly flavored. I don't like clove so eliminate that from any recipe that I cook. I'm also looking for a good recipe for pumpkin muffins. Thanks.  C

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Hi Celia,
    The reason your muffins are mildly flavored is due to the lack of cloves...however,
    if you do not use cloves, then add a little more of the other spices to make up for the missing flavor.

Pumpkin Muffins
    or can be used
    for pumpkin bread also
    3 cups flour
    1 1/4 cups brown sugar
    3 tablespoons white sugar
    4 teaspoons (rounded) baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1 teaspoon nutmeg
    1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
    ¼ teaspoon cloves This can be omitted if you do not like cloves
    ¼ teaspoon allspice
    ¼ teaspoon ginger
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 cup CONDENSED milk
    1 cup canned pumpkin
    ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
    2 extra large eggs
    Mix all ingredients. Makes 12 -14 muffins. Bake at 325° for 20-25 minutes.

SPICE MUFFINS

2 cups of flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

2 teaspoons ground nutmeg

2 eggs, beaten

1 cup pumpkin
    1/4 cup white sugar
    2 cups applesauce
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees 
    mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg; set aside. In a large bowl, combine eggs, pumpkin, sugar, applesauce, vegetable oil.
    Slowly add the flour mixture to the large bowl until just blended. Do not over beat. Pour the batter into 12 lg  muffin cups.
    Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, and let cool

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hi Granny,
    I love your recipes, will definitely try some of them. Thanks for contributing. Hoping for a lot more to come. 
    Only one thing, several of us here on the Chat watch our sugar consumption, and most of your recipes, you have posted so far, are loaded with sugar. Would it be ok to cut back on the sugar in your recipes? I have done that lately with other recipes, and one would not know the difference.
    Also, do you have any recipes not calling for so much sugar or recipes, where you can make substitutions?
    Please keep contributing - Pingo

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Celia, cloves are very pungent so eliminating them causes a distinct lack of flavor.  However, you can bump up all the other spices as Granny suggested, but I'd personally double the ginger to account for the lack of cloves.  Inceasing nutmeg, for instance, can make something taste terrible.  Doubling the ginger is a safer way to boost flavor.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Kargiver, Thanks for the ginger suggestion ... good point, too much nutmeg can be quite overpowring.
    PINGO, I'm over 70 so I grew up with sugar, butter, etc. and most of my recipes (probably all) have the old time natural ingredients in them.  I do think that any sweetener marked 'for baking' would be quite easily interchanged for the sugar in the recipes...you'd just have to figure out the sweetener to sugar ratio and go from there.

I am so glad we are having a good response to this blog..... PINGO, how about adding some of your low sugar recipes?  I'd like to try a couple (who says 'old dogs can't learn new tricks)?  LOL   Seriously I have a couple of daughters who are are trying to keep their weight down and I know they would like it if I could stop adding calories to their day. 
    Granny

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm not pingo, but I cook as if we were diabetic because my DH has a very strange inflamatory response to refined sugar and all-purpose white flour.

I do not care for fake sweeteners; they cause me to bloat up and feel terrible.  So, I've been experimenting with PURE (not a blend like "Truvia") Stevia leaf extract from Trader Joe's (it's with the vitamins because it has to be marketed as a supplement, not a sugar substitute).  Of course, using all stevia doesn't work for cake because you can't "cream butter and stevia powder."  LOL  But, I do reduce the sugar and bump up the sweetness with the stevia.  Experiment if you like and see what you can do.  For my fruit pies, I reduce the sugar to about 1/4 cup for consistency and, if necessary for sweetness, add a little stevia.  Easy as, well, pie...as they say. :)

I also use organic spelt flour (an ancient "cousin" of wheat) because it doesn't upset DH's system.  It takes practice because it handles differently than all purpose and for most people a mix with all purpose white flour wouldn't hurt (2:1 spelt to white).  It has less gluten than all-purpose white flour so you can add pure wheat gluten to those foods in which it would make a difference (available at Whole Foods).  Using spelt boosts fiber and vitamins giving your baked goods more staying power in terms of hunger and boosts their health factor.

By reducing sugar while maintaining an equal amount of sweetness with the stevia and increasing whole grains with whole wheat or spelt (if wheat bothers you) you get a big health bang for the buck, and we think our stuff tastes great, if I do say so!  (Although, the pie I just made was 100% white flour crust because my in-laws were having it, and I wanted it tradtional-tasting.  The spelt is nuttier and not as light in texture.)

These changes can be an aquired taste and take a few trials in the kitchen to get the consistency and taste right, but we happen to enjoy it a lot this way and wouldn't go back to the old fashioned recipes unless we're entertaining.