Any recipes to contribute?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from romanticf16. Show romanticf16's posts

Re: Any recipes to contribute?

Years ago "The Mad Russian"posted this Cranberry Sauce Recipe on the 
    Chef2Chef.net website. It is delicious.

Cook a 1 pound bag of cranberries(fresh or frozen) with 1 cup of sugar until
    all the berries burst and the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and allow to come to room temperature. Add 1 cup of Mohawk Blackberry Brandy, cover and refrigerate for several hours. Serve at room temperature with turkey, roast pork or?Cool

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Apple / Raspberry Crisp

Filling:
    6 Granny Smiths, peeled, cored and sliced
    1 12 oz bag frozen Raspberries
    2 Tbs. all purpose flour
    1 teasp. ground cinnamon
    1/2 teasp. nutmeg
    1/3 cup Maple or pancake syrup or 2 Tbs. sugar (see note)

Topping:
    1/2 cup regular rolled oats
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup all purpose flour, 1/4 teasp. nutmeg, cinnamon or ginger
    1/4 cup butter
    1/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)

In large bowl mix filling flour and spices. Stir in apples to be well coated. Stir in maple syrup. Gently fold in the frozen raspberries and place mixture in a greased pie plate.
    Mix flour, brown sugar, oats and spice for topping in a small bowl. Cut in the cold butter with a knife or even your fingers (I used my small food processor) until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Then stir in the nuts, if you use them.
    Sprinkle over the filling.
    Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 50 minutes until the fruit is tender and bubbly.

Note: I didn't find the taste of Maple syrup came through. 2 - 3 Tbs. of sugar would have done just as well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Chicken Curry

4 skinless drumsticks
    4 skinless chicken tights
    1 large onion
    4 cloves garlic
    2 Tbs. ground coriander
    2 teasp. ground cumin
    2 teasp. turmeric
    1/4 - 1/2 teasp. cayenne pepper
    1/2 teasp. crushed or ground cardamom
    pinch of cloves
    1 teasp. cinnamon
    1/4 cup butter
    1 teasp. salt or to taste
    1 can salt less canned dice tomatoes.
    2 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
    1 cup frozen peas

!n a food mill or blender, grind together the onion and all the spices except the salt. Rub the paste into the chicken pieces.
    Melt the butter and sauté the chicken pieces for 10 minutes. Add the salt and the tomatoes with their liquid. Cover tightly and simmer for about 1/2 hour. Now add the potatoes and simmer for another 15 minutes or until the chicken is very tender and the potatoes done. Finally add the frozen peas and simmer for a couple of minutes. The sauce should be thick. If the spices start to stick add a bit of chicken broth or water.
    This curry made with a can of drained chickpeas (Garbanzo) instead of vegetable is also very good.
    Serve with Basmati Rice.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Mm, thanks, Pingo - you just gave me our dinner recipe!!  DH will love it, too.  I have all the spices on hand, too.  YAY!

ETA:  DH came in and said, "Something smells reallllllly good!"

ETA:  Since I had left over chicken and didn't want to overcook it, I decided to just add the rub ingredients to the pan "free."  Just tasted the sauce (not done yet), and it's superb.  I'll add the chopped chicken to finish.  And, a dollop of Greek yogurt, I think, to cream it up...not that it needs anything, I just think it would be a nice addition...wild rice from TJs, too.

ETA:  TOTAL SUCCESS!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Pumpkin Pie Dip

8 ounces cream cheese
    2 cups powdered sugar (????)
    1 (15 ounces) can of pumpkin pie filling
    1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

Beat the cream cheese and the powdered sugar at medium speed with a hand mixer. Add the pie filling, cinnamon and ginger, and beat well. Cover and chill. Serve with gingersnaps and apple slices.

Note: The recipe calls for 2 cups of sugar. IMO this will be too much. I haven't made this yet, but I am planning on cutting it down when I do. Can always add more later.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I agree - I'd start with 1 cup and add gradually to taste.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I know, romantic. That's where I buy them. But thanks for the tip. I do not believe Ikea do mail-orders unfortunately.  At least they didn't used to. Could have changed though.

In Response to Re: Any recipes to contribute?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Any recipes to contribute? : Lingonberry Preserves are sold at IKEA stores, and should be available mail order via their online catalog FYI.
    Posted by romanticf16[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Did you see my rendition of your curry, Pingo?  And, the computer next to it on the counter?  :)

ETA:  This is so good I'm eating it for breakfast.   I scooped out just a little so as not to cut into the lunch amount.  The house smells like the best of Indian places. 

My wheels are turning.  This would be stellar with beef tips, too.  Or, butternut squash cubes...small ones, of course.  This is going in my recipe box on pen and paper.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

[QUOTE]Hi BG Guess what - I just went through some of my old files and sure enough here is what you are looking for.  Glad I could help you out.  I left the original "Globe" heading on it so it was easy for me to spot the recipe you were seeking. Granny Mamie Eisenhower's fudge By Globe Staff, 9/3/2003 Apparently the wife of former president Dwight Eisenhower was known for her fudge. This is made with both evaporated milk and marshmallow "fluff" (so it's sweet), and a candy thermometer isn't necessary. If you see homemade fudge at a bake sale, it's very likely to be a version of this, which has been popular with home bakers for decades. Makes four pounds. 4 1/2 cups sugar Pinch of salt 2 tablespoons unsalted butter 1 12-ounce can evaporated milk 2 cups coarsely chopped pecans 1 1-pint jar marshmallow cream (also called fluff) 12 ounces semisweet chocolate 12 ounces German sweet chocolate 1. Butter a jelly roll pan or another pan that measures 11-by-16-inches. 2. In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, salt, butter, and evaporated milk. Bring to a boil and let it bubble for 6 minutes. 3. In a large bowl, combine the pecans, marshmallow fluff, and both semisweet and sweet chocolate. Pour the boiling syrup over the chocolate mixture. Beat until chocolate is all melted. 4. Pour the fudge into the prepared pan. Let it sit for several hours at room temperature to firm up. Cut into 1-inch squares. Adapted from "The American Century Cookbook"
    Posted by Grannyof7[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

I have "The Boston Globe Cook Book for Brides" which was published in 1963.  The copy of Mrs. Eisenhower's Million Dollar Fudge varies slightly (does NOT specify unsalted butter).  Here it is as published: 

Mrs. Eisenhower's Million Dollar Fudge

2 cups (12-ounce package) choclate bits
    3 (4-ounce packages sweet cooking chocolate
    1 (8-ounce) jar marshmallow cream
    2 cups broken walnuts
    4 1/2 cups sugar
    pinch of salt
    2 tablespoons buttor or margarine
    1 tall can evaporated milk

Combine chocolate, marshmallow and nuts in a large bowl.  Put sugar, salt, butter and evaporated milk in large saucepan and boil six minutes, sitrring often.
    Pour at once over chocolate mixture in bowl and stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is creamy.  Pour into buttered shallow dish.  Let stand a few hours to set.  Cut into squares and store tightly covered.

I love this site.  It is so much like the old Confidential Chat.  Keep up the good work.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GunghoGuy. Show GunghoGuy's posts

...HELP.....I need a good olde fashion recipe for egg/custard....OK??

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Thank you so much Pingo.  Can't wait to try it!

[QUOTE]Chicken Curry 4 skinless drumsticks 4 skinless chicken tights 1 large onion 4 cloves garlic 2 Tbs. ground coriander 2 teasp. ground cumin 2 teasp. turmeric 1/4 - 1/2 teasp. cayenne pepper 1/2 teasp. crushed or ground cardamom pinch of cloves 1 teasp. cinnamon 1/4 cup butter 1 teasp. salt or to taste 1 can salt less canned dice tomatoes. 2 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into bite size pieces 1 cup frozen peas !n a food mill or blender, grind together the onion and all the spices except the salt. Rub the paste into the chicken pieces. Melt the butter and sauté the chicken pieces for 10 minutes. Add the salt and the tomatoes with their liquid. Cover tightly and simmer for about 1/2 hour. Now add the potatoes and simmer for another 15 minutes or until the chicken is very tender and the potatoes done. Finally add the frozen peas and simmer for a couple of minutes. The sauce should be thick. If the spices start to stick add a bit of chicken broth or water. This curry made with a can of drained chickpeas (Garbanzo) instead of vegetable is also very good. Serve with Basmati Rice.
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]...HELP.....I need a good olde fashion recipe for egg/custard....OK??
    Posted by GunghoGuy[/QUOTE]

Are you looking for baked custard or a soft boiled custard?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Thank you so much Pingo.  Can't wait to try it! In Response to Re: Any recipes to contribute? :
    Posted by ambergirl[/QUOTE]

Ambergirl, do not delay!  It's become an instant favorite in our home.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

I am def going to make this weekend!!  Cannot wait and I know it will be delicious judging from your comments Kar.  I too used the Curry powder and never tasted right. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yeah, just kind of blah tasting.  I highly recommend (no offense, Pingo!) just adding the spices to the liquid and mincing the onion and tossing it in with the potato.  I used cooked chicken.  It was so darned good I'd be hard pressed to dirty up my food processor to make a paste.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Mmmmm! Looks great - I can smell it all the way here too. Good idea using leftover chicken, but try it again sometime with skinless bone-in tights or drumsticks.
    I put "a can of diced tomatoes" in the recipe. But when you have your own homegrown tomatoes, you can chop up 4 large ones and use instead. If not, IMO the canned tomatoes taste a lot better than the store bought.

[QUOTE]Mm, thanks, Pingo - you just gave me our dinner recipe!!  DH will love it, too.  I have all the spices on hand, too.  YAY! ETA:  DH came in and said, "Something smells reallllllly good!" ETA:  Since I had left over chicken and didn't want to overcook it, I decided to just add the rub ingredients to the pan "free."  Just tasted the sauce (not done yet), and it's superb.  I'll add the chopped chicken to finish.  And, a dollop of Greek yogurt, I think, to cream it up...not that it needs anything, I just think it would be a nice addition...wild rice from TJs, too. ETA:  TOTAL SUCCESS!!!
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I did actually use our home grown toms, but I'm sure you guessed! :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jenv1230. Show jenv1230's posts

I read through some of the recipes the other day and wrote down the banana bread recipe to make. I made it last night and it was delicious!

Does anyone have any good crock pot recipes? I love using the crock pot during the winter.

Here is one of my favorites that I found on allrecipes.com last year.

• 1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
    • 1 (3 pound) beef chuck roast
    • 1 (16 ounce) can jellied cranberry sauce
    • 2 tablespoons butter
    • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1. Place onion soup mix in the bottom of a slow cooker. Place roast in the slow cooker, and top with cranberry sauce.
    2. Cover, and cook 8 hours on Low.
    3. Remove roast, and set aside. Set slow cooker to High. Whisk together butter and flour, and slowly mix into the liquid remaining in the slow cooker to create a thick gravy. Serve with the roast.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Hi JenV

How about a crock pot dessert... this is one my grandchildren love and it is so easy to do.

Apple Cobbler  for the crock pot

1 1/4 cups light brown sugar (you can use dark brown if you prefer)
    1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves (can be omitted if you want)
    1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, melted
    1 (16 ounce) package caramels (unwrapped)
    1 (18.25 ounce) box yellow cake mix
    1 can cream soda (yes I mean it - you'll be surprised at how good it is)
    2 cans apple pie filling

Spray crock pot with non-stick Pam or Pam like product.

Mix together brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle 1/3 of the mixture into the crock pot and drizzle with one third of the melted butter. You will repeat this process 2 more times. Open and pour the 2 cans of apple pie filling on the sugary mixture, spreading it evenly in the crock pot. Using another 1/3 of the sugar and cinnamon blend, sprinkle it over the apples and drizzle with 1/3 of the melted butter. Place unwrapped caramels randomly as the next layer, using half the package.

Mix the yellow cake mix in separate bowl with 1 can of cream soda. Pour the cake mix over the caramels and apples. Spread evenly. Sprinkle the last amount of sugar/cinnamon and melted butter over the cake batter. Place paper towel on rim of crock pot and cover with lid. The paper towel will absorb excess moisture. Cook on High for 2 hours or Low for 3 hours. Check doneness with tooth pick. When the cake is done turn off crock pot and randomly place the remaining caramels on the top of the cake. This time, without the paper towel, cover with the lid and let the caramels soften and melt somewhat from the residual heat. Don't let them melt all the way.
    The caramels on the top and in the middle of the cake are a delicious chewy surprise.

Serve with scoop of vanilla ice cream or vanilla flavored whipped cream

Granny

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Chinese Dinner
    (Actually Pingo's Chinese dinner)

1 piece of steak partially frozen and cut into thin slices
    1 Tbs. light soy sauce
    2 teasp. cornstarch
    A small (or large if you don't mind spicy) pinch of pepper flakes
    2 Tbs. olive oil
    2 small onions cut in thin wedges
    1 clove of garlic, finely minced
    1 red pepper cut in strips *)
    1/2 pack of snow peas *)
    1/4 cup chicken broth (or water)
    1/4 cup of roasted peanuts or other nuts (optional)

1 half box spaghetti
    2 Tbs. of olive oil
    4 green onions cut into 1 inch pieces, white and green both
    1 inch piece of fresh ginger grated

Place the steak pieces, the soy sauce, cornstarch and pepper flakes in a bowl, mix well. Marinate in the refrigerator for a least 1/2 hour.
    Heat olive oil in a large wok (or pan) and sauté the meat mixture for a few minutes. Then add the vegetables and sauté for another few minutes. You want them to have a "bite". Finally add the liquid and cook on low until the sauce thickens a bit. It you want to add nuts, this is the time. Serve.

In the meantime cook the spaghetti according to the box. Drain them and let them dry a bit on several layer of paper towels.
    Heat the oil and sauté the onions and the ginger for a minute or so. Then add the almost dry noodles and fry them on high heat for a couple of minutes.
    Serve immediately.

*) I think, one can use any vegetable to ones liking. I just happened to have snow peas and a red pepper to be used. But I think broccoli or maybe canned baby corn or chestnuts would be a nice addition as well.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GunghoGuy. Show GunghoGuy's posts

Hi tt...........thx for responding.......do you have a recipe for BAKED CUSTARD??......I miss this custard from my boyhood days of yore.......can you help me out......Semper Fi..........In Response to Re: Any recipes to contribute?:
    [QUOTE]...HELP.....I need a good olde fashion recipe for egg/custard....OK??

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

[QUOTE]Hi tt...........thx for responding.......do you have a recipe for BAKED CUSTARD??......I miss this custard from my boyhood days of yore.......can you help me out......Semper Fi..........In Response to Re: Any recipes to contribute? :

I can give you my mother's baked custard recipe "of yore", which I made a day after reading your request for recipe!  Delish.

2 cups of scalded milk (see below)
    3 eggs
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 tsp. vanilla
    sprinkling of nutmeg

Whisk eggs slightly; whisk in the sugar and vanilla until well blended.  Stir the scalded milk in very slowly in a stream, and pour into either one oven proof bowl or individual oven proof custard cups.  Lightly sprinkle nutmeg on top.  Set in a cake pan; pour in hot water almost to the top of the pan.   Bake in 350 oven for 45-50 minutes.  Custard is done when the blade of a knife inserted in the middle, pulls out clean.  Cool and then refrigerate. 

Scalded milk:  Need a double boiler or 2 pans, one set in the other.  Hot water in the bottom pan and milk in the top, on heat 5-8 minutes until able to pull a slight skim away from the edge with a metal spoon.  Do not boil.

Hope you enjoy.  I ate the whole bowl I made, these past few days!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GunghoGuy. Show GunghoGuy's posts

Re: Any recipes to contribute?..........Hi tt.........Wow....and mucho thx.......I know this is the baked custard I have been...

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Any recipes to contribute? : I can give you my mother's baked custard recipe "of yore", which I made a day after reading your request for recipe!  Delish. 2 cups of scalded milk (see below) 3 eggs 1/2 cup sugar 1/2 tsp. vanilla sprinkling of nutmeg Whisk eggs slightly; whisk in the sugar and vanilla until well blended.  Stir the scalded milk in very slowly in a stream, and pour into either one oven proof bowl or individual oven proof custard cups.  Set in a cake pan; pour in hot water almost to the top of the pan.  Lightly sprinkle nutmeg on top.  Bake in 350 oven for 45-50 minutes.  Custard is done when the blade of a knife inserted in the middle, pulls out clean.  Cool and then refrigerate.  Scalded milk:  Need a double boiler or 2 pans, one set in the other.  Hot water in the bottom pan and milk in the top, on heat 5-8 minutes until able to pull a slight skim away from the edge with a metal spoon.  Do not boil. Hope you enjoy.  I ate the whole bowl I made, these past few days!
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

You're welcome, GunghoGuy.  Went in and moved the "Lightly sprinkle nutmeg on top" so it reads correctly - you sprinkle the nutmeg on top of the custard after you have poured into the dish(es).  Hope it meets your childhood memories, tho those memories we have, sometimes, just can't be duplicated!

Sections
Shortcuts