Any recipes to contribute?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Re: Any recipes to contribute?

Another vintage recipe from "days of yore" is this bread pudding my mother used to make.  I've taken a half loaf of Italian bread bread that had started to go stale, out of the freezer this morning and once defrosted, will tear the inside into chunks, using that for the pudding.  The birds/squirrels will get a treat of the crusty outside.

Bread Pudding

2 cups milk
    1 tbsp. butter
    1 generous cup of torn cubes of stale bread
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 egg
    1/2 tsp. vanilla
    handful of raisins (optional)

Scald the milk and butter then soak the bread cubes in the milk for 5-10 minutes.
    Add sugar, slightly beaten egg and vanilla.  Stir until the sugar is dissolved.  Add the raisins at this point if going to.
    Pour the mixture into a buttered baking dish.  Set the dish in a pan of hot water.
    Bake in 375 oven for 1 hour or until the mixture will not adhere to a knife inserted in the center. - I start checking at 50 minutes - it's sometimes done in 55.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

With the Holidays almost here I thought you might like a recipe for roasting beets.  Until I was in my 30's I always thought in terms of boiling beets and then an old farmer told me they never boiled beets because all you ended up with was a lot of useless red stuff and all the good nutrients and vitamins went out with the water you boiled the beets in.

BEETS in the oven

Great in salads or re-heated and paired with pork chops or roasts or a very pretty side dish during the holidays.

2 pounds fresh beets (with my family I make up about 20 beets)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Scrub the beets well and trim but not completely remove the root and stems.

2. Wrap each beet separately in aluminum foil and sprinkle with a little fine ground sugar if you like beets really 'sweet'.  Place them all on a baking sheet. Roast until tender. This will take 1 to 1 1/2 hours or more depending on their size. To make sure they are tender, pick the largest beet and try it with a fork...if it's fork tender they are all ready to be removed from the oven.

3. Remove the beets from the oven. Set aside until they are cool enough to handle. Then, unwrap, and gently rub off the skins. I found using a pair of those 'gloves' that are sold to peel potatoes works great, or else, just use a paring knife and gently scrape off the skins.
     Cover. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
    One pretty way to seve the beets is after they are heated and just before placing dish on table add a few pieces of cauliflower (cooked) to the dish.  Immediately serve or cauliflower will start to get pink from the beets but it makes a lovely dish on the table.

Granny

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Granny, my family love roasted beets. I usually cut them in quarters and roast them in a foil pack. Never thought of adding sugar. Will try the next time.
    Thanks - Pingo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Hi Pingo,
    Have you tried baked asparagus?  DELICIOUS!

2 pounds of fresh asparagus spears

2 teaspoons melted butter or olive oil

2 tablesppons of fresh snipped tarragon (or if using powdered tarragon, 2 teaspoons)

Sea salt to taste

Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. Snap off and discard woody bases from asparagus. 
    Combine oil and 1 teaspoon of the tarragon. Drizzle over asparagus. Toss gently to coat. In a greased 15x10x1-inch foil lined baking pan arrange asparagus in a single layer. Sprinkle lightly with salt.

2. Roast asparagus, uncovered, 4 to 6 minutes or until just tender, stirring once. To serve, place the asparagus flat on a serving platter. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 teaspoon tarragon. Makes enough for about 4 people 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I do this all the time. Whenever I make my rack-o-lamb, the rack has to sit for 10 minutes before cutting it. Just enough time to do the asparagus. So, when the lamb comes out, in goes the asparagus (same temp.).  I usually just brush them w/ olive oil and sprinkle w/ salt and pepper. Never tried tarragon. But why not - it is in the Bernaise sauce I serve with them anyway. I grow tarragon on my deck in the summer, but it never overwinter well indoor - at least not in my house. So I dry it and have plenty for the winter, until I can grow it again. Thanks for the tarragon tip.
    Btw. after I started roasted the asparagus, my family do not want them any other way. Soooo good!

In Response to Re: Any recipes to contribute?:
    [QUOTE]Hi Pingo, Have you tried baked asparagus?  DELICIOUS! 2 pounds of fresh asparagus spears 2 teaspoons melted butter or olive oil 2 tablesppons of fresh snipped tarragon (or if using powdered tarragon, 2 teaspoons) Sea salt to taste Directions: 1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. Snap off and discard woody bases from asparagus.  Combine oil and 1 teaspoon of the tarragon. Drizzle over asparagus. Toss gently to coat. In a greased 15x10x1-inch foil lined baking pan arrange asparagus in a single layer. Sprinkle lightly with salt. 2. Roast asparagus, uncovered, 4 to 6 minutes or until just tender, stirring once. To serve, place the asparagus flat on a serving platter. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 teaspoon tarragon. Makes enough for about 4 people 
    Posted by Grannyof7[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celia2. Show Celia2's posts

[QUOTE]I have "The Boston Globe Cook Book for Brides" which was published in 1963.  ...  Pour into buttered shallow dish. ...Posted by Obbieite[/QUOTE]

I had used an earlier posted version of this fudge recipe and it only mentioned a prepared pan but not how to prepare it. I used wax paper on the bottom of the pan. It worked just fine. The fudge came out well. I didn't use the nuts as I have a lot of folks who don't like them. (Me, I love them.)

I love this forum too. I've gotten some good recipes off of it - lime bread, pumpkin ginger bread, fudge and beef stew. I just saw pingo's pumpkin pie dip. Sounds like something that I'd like. I have a couple of recipes - crispy waffles and denver chocolate pudding that come from older version of FF cookbook. I'll post them later.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

By request, here's my overnight mashed potatoes:

Makes 12 generous servings

Roast one head of garlic until very soft.  I roast the head with the top cut off at 350 for one hour, in foil covered in olive oil.

4 lbs Idaho Russet (or potato of your choice, but this is dry and fluffy imo)
    1 stick Kate's butter, melted
    Yield of one head of roasted garlic, smushed out of skins
    1/2 cup sour cream
    salt to taste
    pepper to taste
    chopped chives, garnish

Peel, dice, and place potatoes in cold salted water (barely cover) and bring to a rolling boil.  Reduce heat, simmer until soft (about 12 minutes).  Drain, return to pan, cook a couple of minutes to get rid of remaining water (stir).  Add all other ingredients and whip, tasting as you add salt slowly.  Refrigerate in microwave safe dish at least one day and up to 3 days before reheating (microwave best) and serving.  Add small amount of butter on top and sprinkle chives for presentation. 

You can make and serve them immediately, but they just aren't as good!

The garlic taste is very mild in this recipe.  You could add two heads of garlic if your family likes garlic, and it still won't be overpowering.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't been in here much the past week, family stuff kept me busy. 
    With all of us facing a LOT of leftover turkey this coming week I thought you might enjoy a recipe for turkey wraps using lettuce instead of pieta bread for the wrap.

Granny

Lettuce wraps for beef, chicken or turkey

Keep in mind that poultry or beef, previously cooked can be 'heated' in the herbs and spices mix rather than 'grilled' and it will turn out just as well. 1 1/2 pounds rib-eye or other well meats
    1/4 cup soy sauce 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar 1/3 cup beer or ale

4 garlic cloves, minced (I like to smash them in a plastic bag and then add)

2 scallions, minced 1 teaspoon black pepper 2 teaspoons sesame oil 1 tablespoon honey

for serving: Large lettuce leaves needed for the wraps
    1. Wrap the steak (if using steak) in plastic and place it in the freezer while you put together the marinade, otherwise go right to this part -  In a medium bowl, combine the soy sauce, sugar, beer, garlic, scallions, pepper, sesame oil, honey and Asian pear. Take meat or poultry, slice it across the grain into 1/4-inch-thick strips. Stir into the marinade and let it sit for 30 minutes,  preheat a gas grill or broiler to its highest setting.

2. When the grill is very hot, sear the steak until nicely caramelized, 2 or 3 minutes on each side. Work in batches to avoid crowding the meat. Serve the beef or poultry with condiments and wraps by folding a piece of meat  or poultry(you can use two pieces), add some rice, vegetables and herbs inside a lettuce leaf.
    Have bowls/side dishes of chopped scallions Fresh herbs, like basil, mint and cilantro so they can be added by the diners as they prefer.
    I do not use the mint though because I don't like it that much.
    Thinly sliced radishes are good to use also small carrots, buy the petite ones as this saves time or even shredded ones.
    Seedless cucumbers, thinly sliced
    vinegar, I use the rice wine vinegar
    This makes enough for about three people.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sounds delicious, Granny!  The British Beer Company restaurant serves lettuce wraps, and I get them every time I go...with a nice draft pint, of course. :)

Pingo's curry spice mixture is so good, I've started making it and having it on hand to toss into soups, mix with Panko for a breading for pork chops, chicken, or roast you intend to brown then braise.  I also roasted pumpkin seeds with it.  I think it would be good in melted chocolate for a unique chocolate dipped fruit dish.

Gramma's Orange Cranberry Chutney

equal weights of fresh cranberries and whole navel oranges
    sugar or favorite substitute to taste (do NOT use honey)
    1/2 chopped pecans, plus few nice looking halves for garnish, toasted

Sort and wash cranberries, discard soft/bruised/yucky ones
    Wash oranges
    Cut oranges in 8 wedges, remove seeds (yes, leave peeling ON)
    Process cranberries and orange wedges together in food processor until finely processed.  Work in batches if necessary to prevent gumming.
    Taste and add sweetener to your liking.
    Let sit overnight in fridge.
    Just before serving, sprinkle with toasted pecan pieces and arrange halves as desired.

ETA:  It's the day before TG, and I just made this for our trip to the in-laws, and I used 1 1/2 bags (after sorting out rotton/soft ones) of cranberries and 2 oranges.  1 cup of sugar.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

This chutney recipe sounds so good!  I'm going out shopping later
    on today and I'm going to pick up what I need to make this...can't wait to try it out on my family, I'm sure they will love it.

Thanks for sharing this with us.
    Granny

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Granny, I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine!  Please do let me know.

Happy TG and fun cooking, all!!!

~kar

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Just added photos of the chutney and approximate amounts for your convenience. :)  Enjoy!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Danish Aebleskiver:
    This is the recipe most similar to the one I use. It is good with cardamom, but we prefer grated peel of lemon instead. The recipe can be doubled, tripled or whatever. I usually make a large batch, and keep the leftover batter tightly covered in the refrigerator. Then stir and use, whenever I need to. Great hit for drop by visitors.
    You do need the special pan for it, but no other gadgets. To turn them I use a knitting needle. You can also use a turkey needle. Cooking them for 10 minutes is much too long. I let them bake for a couple of minutes, turn them 1/4 to let the batter run down. Then right after that another 1/4 to make the ball. Then keep rolling them in the pan until done. You will know, when the needle is "clean".
    I never insert anything in them, but serve them with thawed, frozen strawberries (on the pic) one can pick up at any grocery store, and dust them with confectioner sugar.

Here we go:

Aebleskiver

Yield: Makes 12 or 13 pancake balls

Ingredients

• 1 1/4  cups  all-purpose flour
    • 3  tablespoons  sugar
    • 2 3/4  teaspoons  baking powder
    • 1/4  teaspoon  ground cardamom or ground cinnamon
    • 1/4  teaspoon  salt
    • 1  large egg
    • 1  cup  milk
    • About 2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
    •  

Preparation

1. In a bowl, mix flour with sugar, baking powder, cardamom, and salt. In a small bowl, beat egg to blend with milk and 2 tablespoons butter. Add liquids to dry ingredients and stir until evenly moistened.

2. Place an aebleskiver pan over medium-low heat. When pan is hot enough to make a drop of water dance, brush pancake cups lightly with melted butter and fill each to slightly below the rim with batter.

3. In about 1 1/2 minutes, thin crusts will form on bottoms of balls (centers will still be wet); pierce the crust with a slender wood skewer and gently pull shell to rotate the pancake ball until about half the cooked portion is above the cup rim and uncooked batter flows down into cup. Cook until crust on bottom of ball is again firm enough to pierce, about another minute, then rotate ball with skewer until the ridge formed as the pancake first cooked is on top. Cook, turning occasionally with skewer, until balls are evenly browned and no longer moist in the center. Check by piercing center of last pancake ball added to pan with skewer-it should come out clean--or by breaking the ball open slightly; if balls start to get too brown, turn heat to low until they are cooked in the center. Lift cooked balls from pan and serve hot.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastsgirl. Show beastsgirl's posts

Thankyou Pingo, I can't wait to try this recipe. I'm ordering the pan for it this afternoon.b.g.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

BG, I realized, my post was not that clear. I keep the leftover batter and cook them up as I need them. You can also cook all of them and freeze them. Take out, what you need and put them in a cold oven, set the temp. on 350 degrees and when the them. reach 350, they are ready to serve. But I like to cook them up as we use them.
    Also, one NEVER wash the aebleskiver pan. You just wipe it out well with a papertowel. The seasoned pan makes the aebleskiver better and better as years go by.
    - Pingo

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Winter, I know your banana bread is the best. Have made it several times. Thanks!
    But I saw this recipe this morning on our son's website, and I think it would be nice for the holidays.

Cranberry Banana Bread

3 bananas, peeled
    2 cups sugar
    1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine
    2 eggs
    1 cup milk
    3 cups self-rising flour
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 (6-ounce) package dried cranberries
    1 cup chopped nuts, optional

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and grease and flour 2 loaf pans or 8 mini-loaf pans.

Place the bananas in a large bowl and add the sugar. Mix until the bananas are liquified. Add the margarine and mix until creamed together with the banana mixture. Add eggs, milk, flour, vanilla, cranberries and nuts, if using, and blend well. pour into the loaf pans and bake for 1 hour for regular loaf pans or 30 minutes for mini loaf pans. The bread is done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Makes 2 loaves or 8 mini-loaves.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Plum chutney:

tt asked for this. It goes really nice with spicy food or actually anything. So easy to make.
    I threw this together, when I had a bunch of plums beyond their better days. It was so good, so my family keeps asking for it.

4 large plums pitted and sliced into "boats" or wedges.
    2 teasp. grated ginger
    1 Tbs. honey or syrup
    1 teasp. balsamic vinegar
    pinch of salt

Place all the ingredients in a thick bottomed pot, bring to boil and simmer for 8 - 10 minutes or so. Cook until soft, not until mushy. The plums should have some bite to them. You can double and triple the recipe if you like. It is also good served for breakfast instead of jam.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Do you take the skins off, Pingo?  Seems easy enough, and I love plums.  Have a recipe I cut out of a mag years ago and still haven't used, for a plum sauce on pork, I think it was.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh no, leave the skin on. This will go very well with pork. Will kind of replace the plum sauce, you mention.
    I didn't get to make the Brambles yesterday. Forgot to take out the dough from the freezer. I have some leftover plum chutney, will use that in a few of them. Me think, that will be awesome.

[QUOTE]Do you take the skins off, Pingo?  Seems easy enough, and I love plums.  Have a recipe I cut out of a mag years ago and still haven't used, for a plum sauce on pork, I think it was.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Here's the Plum Sauce - actually it was used on chicken.  You'll probably make it sooner than I, the recipe having sat in my "to try" envelope for years now!

1/4 cup chopped onion
    2 clove garlic, minced
    1 tsp. grated fresh gingerroot
    1/3 cup plum sauce (half of an 8 1/2 oz. jar)
    1/4 cup frozen lemonade concentrate
    1/4 cup chili sauce
    2 tbsp. soy sauce
    1 tbsp. lemon juice
    1 tsp. dry mustard

Brown onion, garlic and gingerroot in a tbsp or two of oil.  Cook until onion is tender.  Stir together remaining ingredients and stir into onion mixture, bringing to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 5 minutes.

Spoon mixture over browned meat and bake uncovered, spooning sauce over meat occasionally.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

That sounds really delicious, tt. No wonder you kept it. I will try it someday, but if you try my plum chutney with the fresh plums, I don't think you will need this recipe. Just saying - Pingo

[QUOTE]Here's the Plum Sauce - actually it was used on chicken.  You'll probably make it sooner than I, the recipe having sat in my "to try" envelope for years now! 1/4 cup chopped onion 2 clove garlic, minced 1 tsp. grated fresh gingerroot 1/3 cup plum sauce (half of an 8 1/2 oz. jar) 1/4 cup frozen lemonade concentrate 1/4 cup chili sauce 2 tbsp. soy sauce 1 tbsp. lemon juice 1 tsp. dry mustard Brown onion, garlic and gingerroot in a tbsp or two of oil.  Cook until onion is tender.  Stir together remaining ingredients and stir into onion mixture, bringing to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 5 minutes. Spoon mixture over browned meat and bake uncovered, spooning sauce over meat occasionally.
    Posted by toytrumpet[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Hi everyone,
    Sorry I haven't been in for awhile, had some medical things to attend to but
    doing better now.  I can't wait to try the plum sauce, sounds delicious.

My grandchildren are crazy for anything cinnamon and I though some of you
    might like to try a cinnamon pie (more like a custard pie with cinnamon top)
    Enjoy, Granny

1 pie crust, 9-inch, baked
    2 cups milk         
    2 tablespoons sugar 

2 eggs 

1 tablespoon butter or margarine 

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 

1/2 cup flour

Boil together milk, sugar, butter and cinnamon. Mix flour with cold water to pouring consistency. Add flour mixture to boiling milk, stirring all the time. Cool slightly. Beat eggs well and whisk into milk mixture. Cook mixture again for a few minutes, when it starts to show signs of boil, pour into pie crust, sprinkle lightly with cinnamon (I use cinnamon sugar combo) Bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees, until it is 'set'.  Cool, put in refrigerator, serve cold.  If you like, you can pour a little cinnamon sauce on top or drizzle over pie quickly and around edges of the plate. 

Cinnamon Sauce... this is good on everything from pancakes to ice cream.
    Mix 1 cup sugar, 4 tablespoons flour, 3 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon of cloves (if you do not want to use cloves just omit)  and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Slowly stir in 3 cups of boiling water. Place on low heat and simmer, stirring until thick. Add 4 tablespoons butter and 2 teaspoons vanilla. (For a Vanilla Sauce, simply omit the cinnamon.)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I love custard pie - will have to try this, thanks!  You know, the cinnamon helps you process the sugar?  Pretty cool.

Did you try the cranberry/orange relish, Granny?

Hope you are well and it was nothing serious.  Glad to see you.

Blessings,
    ~kar

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Hi Kar,

Yes, I did try your relish and my family loves it so it will be made
    again for Christmas.  Maybe even later on this week, when I do baked chicken breast with cornbread cranberry stuffing as a side dish, the relish would be great with that too!  YUMMY and thank you for sharing with us.

I'll try and pop in later today and leave another recipe.

Granny

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Granny and Kar,
    I'd even make it to dress up a Costco ckicken. - Pingo