Any recipes to contribute?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

Re: Any recipes to contribute?

Hi All,
    I was looking at these postings earlier and seem to remember someone asking about lingonberries and where they could buy them.  I live in NC and shop at a store called "Fresh Market" (there is also a store in Hingham and I was in it last week).  Anyway, if you go to their website (www.freshmarket.com) and click on "online shopping" you will find a 14.5 oz. jar of "Felix Fresh Stiffed Swedish Lingonberries" for $5.49.  Hope this is helpful.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In Response to Re: Any recipes to contribute?:
    Hi Kar, Yes, I did try your relish and my family loves it so it will be made again for Christmas.  Maybe even later on this week, when I do baked chicken breast with cornbread cranberry stuffing as a side dish, the relish would be great with that too!  YUMMY and thank you for sharing with us. I'll try and pop in later today and leave another recipe. Granny
    Posted by Grannyof7

Oh, I'm so happy to hear that - my grandmother handed that recipe down to me, and she was my best friend.  I miss her so much, and it warms my heart that your family is enjoying her relish, now, too.  Enjoy it in good health and joy!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Hi Everyone

I thought you might like a couple of breads I make, one is with pepper (yes pepper) and lemon and the other with cranberries.  Not sure what you'd call them, we referred to them as 'quick breads' in our house.
    Granny

Lemon and pepper bread

2 sticks butter or margarine,  at room temperature
    1/2 cup sugar
    4 eggs
    1/3 cup fresh lemon juice grated zest of two lemons
     I sometimes use a combination of lemon and lime
    3 cups flour
    4 teaspoons baking powder
    1 tablespoon cracked or coarsely ground pepper
    1 cup milk
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup snipped chives, scallions - add rosemary or thyme if you like. experiment and have fun
    with this recipe, it adapts well.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Grease a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan.

Cream the butter and sugar together. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well. Stir in the lemon juice and the zest.

In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Add this mixture gradually to the butter-egg mixture, alternating with milk. Beat well after each addition, but don't overmix. Add the chives or scallions.

Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then remove to continue cooling.

Cranberry and sweet potato bread recipe
     1 teaspoon butter
    1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 large eggs, slightly beaten
    1 1/3 cups sugar
    1/3 cup canola oil
    1 cup mashed cooked sweet potatoes  (Yams can be used in place of potatoes)
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 cup fresh cranberries, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9--by-5-inch loaf pan and dust with 1 teaspoon flour; set aside.

In a bowl, combine eggs, sugar, oil, yams or sweet potatoes and vanilla.

In a larger bowl, combine remaining flour with spices and baking soda. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in sweet potato or yam mixture. Mix until just moistened, blend in cranberries and spoon batter into loaf pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until a toothpick
    inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
    Cool on a rack for 20 minutes before slicing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

With the holiday season upon us, I thought I would share my recipe for Gluwine. My home country's holiday specialty. Except we call it Gloegg - but in this country it is better known as Gluwine. It is so wonderful on a cold night. I do hope you will try it.
    tt, your girlfriends would love it, while decorating your tree. And this drink is all about Christmas. I serve it in Irish Coffee Glass Mugs. So elegant.

Danish Gluwine
    This will serve one cup/glass. For more servings, cut the spice additions in half.

6 oz. red wine
    A cinnamon stick
    2 whole cloves
    pinch of nutmeg
    1 tsp of honey
    Optional: raisins and sliced almonds. Lemon slices or lemon peel.

Mix everything together and simmer. Serve it in mugs with a cinnamon stick. I usually add lemon slices or lemon peel to mine. Even oranges will do. If you add the raisins and almonds, you need to provide a spoon. Oh boy, happy holidays to everyone.
    Note: if you want to make it more alcoholic, you can add a shot of vodka or brandy when serving. Grand Marnier Liquor goes well with this concoction.

This is my "Stocking Stuffer" to all my most wonderful friends on the Chat. Bless you all and have a wonderful holiday with whoever you are going to share it with.
    Bless you all - Pingo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Hi Pingo,

My daughters loved the Gluwine and want me to make it again
    for Christmas Eve.  THanks for that recipe.
    Granny
    Happy Holidays EveryoneLaughing

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

Pingo I'll need to mention this to FI as he is over there until next Friday.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Granny, you certainly didn't miss a beat. Glad you liked it. Isn't it just wonderful?

Btw. it is ok to serve it to non-drinkers (we drank it as children). The alcohol in the wine will have evaporated by the time you serve it. Thus the shot. In Scandinavia we use Akvavite (Snaps), but that needs a required taste. For non drinkers is ok, but I wouldn't serve it to rehabilitated alcoholics. They may get a taste for the wine.
    And one more thing. Don't buy the Glogg they sell in Ikea. It is terrible, has nothing to do with the real thing.

Hi Pingo, My daughters loved the Gluwine and want me to make it again for Christmas Eve.  THanks for that recipe. Granny Happy Holidays Everyone
    Posted by Grannyof7

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hi Winter,
    How could I forget to tell you this. There is a small bar/bodega/restaurant on Kongens Nytorv that in the Christmas season offer Gluwine and Aebleskiver. You go there and it is jammed. But the atmosphere is amazing, so Christmas like. People go there after their Christmas shopping or just to take a break in between.
    I used to go there every Christmas, but I must have beginning dementia, b/c for the sake of me, I can't think of the name of the place. I will try to call a girl friend of mine and ask her, if she remembers. But if your FI asks a real Dane for the Glogg place at Kongens Nytorv, they will be able to guide him. His friends/colleges may already have taken him there. Oh, how homesick, I am feeling just now.
     - Pingo

Pingo I'll need to mention this to FI as he is over there until next Friday.
    Posted by Winter2011Bride

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Hi Pingo,

I am sure you will have a good version of this soup yourself... or perhaps can tell me how to 'tweek' this recipe for an even better version.  This is a recipe that was given to me years ago and my family will occasionally ask me to make it
    for them.
    Supposedly it is Danish in origin.
    Granny

Danish light mushroom soup with wine 
    2 tablespoons butter ½ pound mushroom – very thinly sliced
    2 tablespoons flour
    1½ pints veal or chicken stock
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon fresh chervil -- chopped or  1 teaspoon if using dried chervil  (SEE NOTE) 
    3/4th cup heavy cream
    4 tablespoons Madeira wine
    Melt butter, moderate heat. It will start to get foamy. Wait until this subsides, then you can reduce to the heat to low and add mushrooms. Cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    Stir in flour over moderate heat. Gradually add veal or chicken stock, stirring constantly.  Bring back to a boil for three minutes.
    Reduce heat to low, simmer 10 minutes. Stir in salt, chervil and cream. Pour into warm soup tureen. Stir in Madeira and serve immediately with a dollop of sour creamOn top of each serving if you like it served this way, otherwise, leave soup plain.
    NOTE: Chervil is a mild taste similar to a combination of parsley and fennel or anise flavoring if you don’t have chervil, use ½ teas. of parsley and ¼ teas. Of ground fennel or anise in it’s place.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Looks like everyone is out Christmas shopping now, not much action in this group.  I'll try and get back in either Friday or Saturday and post a new recipe. 

Granny

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Granny,
    You are absolutely right - everyone are busy shopping or preparing for their holiday parties.
    Me not so much, I am trying to run a business while DH is away. I am way way behind in my holiday preparing schedule. Not that it matters that much, I know I will catch up this weekend. Or at least trying to. If I can't I will just leave out a few items.
    After the holidays, I am sure there will be a lot of recipes to share.
    Thank you so much for starting this thread. Many of our regular chatters have a lot to contribute. Bless you and have a Merry Christmas. Hope you celebrate it. If not, I hope I didn't offend you. - Pingo

Looks like everyone is out Christmas shopping now, not much action in this group.  I'll try and get back in either Friday or Saturday and post a new recipe.  Granny
    Posted by Grannyof7

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I was out shopping all afternoon!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Hi Pingo & Group,

No Pingo, you did not offend me by saying Merry Christmas. I sang in the Christmas choir at church for many years on Christmas Eve and my favorite memory is coming out of midnight Mass one night and it was just stopping snowing.  The streets glistened like diamonds and enormous, a few soft snowy flakes were still softly falling but the full moon was showing over the lower half of town, with the bells ringing, everyone on the church steps broke into "O Little Town of Bethlehem" and it was like living inside a Currier & Ives print of Christmas Eve. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Homemade butterscotch sauce ...YUMMY

Ingredients
    1 c. brown sugar
    1/4 c. milk
    2 TBL. corn syrup
    3 TBL. butter

I Combine all & stir till it reaches overall boil - about 3 minutes. Serve over ice cream or anything else you ..I have one grandson with a real sweet tooth and he puts it on top of his pancake!.
    Note: To make ahead - bring to boil and turn off. Remove from heat. Reheating to boil takes about 3 minutes.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Bacon Cheddar cheese log (modified too much from an online recipe to cite it):

16 oz softened 1/3 fat cream cheese
    1 lb bacon, crisped and crumbled/chopped
    3/4 c toasted, chopped walnuts (salted and peppered)
    1/2 c minced scallions
    1/4 c minced parsley
    2 Tbl lemon juice
    1 Tbl Worcestershire sauce

Combine 3/4 of the bacon with all ingredients except the walnuts in food processor.  Form into log or (if you can) ball.  Chill for an hour.  Roll in remaining bacon and walnuts.  Chill at least overnight for flavors to come together.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

K.giver, this sounds like a wonderful recipe and I'm going to try it on Christmas
    Eve.  I have to omit the nuts though, too many allergies in my children and grandchildren but I bet it will still be yummy.

Happy Holidays everyone
    Granny

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh, what lovely memory to have. I got tears in my eyes just imagining this picture.

Hi Pingo & Group, No Pingo, you did not offend me by saying Merry Christmas. I sang in the Christmas choir at church for many years on Christmas Eve and my favorite memory is coming out of midnight Mass one night and it was just stopping snowing.  The streets glistened like diamonds and enormous, a few soft snowy flakes were still softly falling but the full moon was showing over the lower half of town, with the bells ringing, everyone on the church steps broke into "O Little Town of Bethlehem" and it was like living inside a Currier & Ives print of Christmas Eve.   
    Posted by Grannyof7

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Festive holiday angel food cake

2 cups superfine sugar, sifted and divided

1 1/3 cups sifted cake flour (not self-rising)

11/2 cups large egg whites (from 11 to 12 eggs), at room temperature

3/4 teaspoon kosher salt

11/2 teaspoons cream of tartar

3/4 teaspoon vanilla

1 & 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest, lime zest (from about 1 lemon, 1 lime) 
    4 drops green food coloring

In a bowl, combine 1/2 cup of sugar with the flour and sift together 4 times. Set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, place the egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar and beat together at high speed for about 1 minute or until the eggs make medium-firm peaks. Slow the mixer to medium speed.
     Sprinkle the remaining 11/2 cups of sugar over the beaten egg whites. Whisk for a few minutes until thick and shiny.  Add the vanilla and lemon zest and continue to whisk until very thick, about 1 more minute.
    Sift about one-fourth of the flour mixture over the egg whites and fold it into the batter with a rubber spatula. Repeat this process three more times, sifting and folding until it is all incorporated.
     Pour the batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Smooth the top, and bake in a 350-degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the top of the cake springs back when it is touched. Remove the cake from the oven and invert the pan on a cooling rack until cool.

Granny

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That looks yummy!  I love angel food cake...

The original recipe I modified did not call for walnuts.  You could roll it in parsley and bacon or even just bacon.  Did you try it?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Yes I did try it and I actually did roll it in chopped fresh basil.... very yummy and now (thank you) I will try the bacon for NYE.  Might not even wait until then because I LOVE bacon.

Have you tried slicing tomatoes, then sprinkle them with freshly grated pepper and sea salt, add slices of fresh basil,  a slice of Mozzarella and for the topper use the balsamic glaze that is sold in Market Basket stores?  Oh so yummy. I buy the pre slized Mozzarella cheese so this is a very easy recipe to do for everyone.

Granny

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's a favorite summer snack for us, here, Granny!  Love it.  We grow our own toms and basil, and I buy the fresh mozz and organic oo from Trader Joes.  Nothing says SUMMER like that!

So happy you loved the cheese log, and I can just imagine the taste of it rolled in basil, great idea.  Maybe mix the basil and bacon for the outside next time?  YUM!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Hi Everyone,

FYI I purchased an Emeril chip dip mix at the store and used it for Christmas Eve, it is his garlic and onion mix...it calls for a cup of mayo plus a cup of sour cream but I only used 1/2 c of the mayo and 1 1/2 cups of the sour cream. Everyone loved it and it was so simple to do in a hurry.

Granny

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I wish I'd known about that last week!  I made a last minute French onion dip (not from a mix) that was terrible until about the 20th addition of something and retaste.  "Nope, still yucky," until I was about to give up.  Finally landed on an iteration that didn't seem too bad.  People really liked it, miraculously, but I sure could have used that Emeril dip!  Took me an hour to make mine edible, LOL!  Couldn't post the recipe if my life depended on it - I have no idea what ended up working.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Hi Kargiver, since you like basil, have you ever tried basil tea?
    My youngest daughter loves it. She first had it when she had problems with nausea after her first baby was born and one of the nurses came in with a cup of warm basil tea.  She kept up drinking it even when she was home, now it has gone from upset
    tummy recipe to a daily drink with her.

Happy New Year
    Granny

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Cake Holiday Citrus

One box of any brand lemon cake mix

1 box lemon instant pudding mix

1 tablespoon of lime juice

1 tablespoon of lemon juice

3/4 cup of water (minus 1 tablespoonful)

1 cup of canola oil

1/2 cup of super fine sugar

4 drops of green food coloring (or more if you want it darker green)

4 large eggs, slightly beaten prior to adding into bowl

In mixer bowl combine the ingredients and mix until combined

Pour into a 9 x 12 pan sprayed with Baker’s Joy (or use butter then flour in pan)

Bake in about 55 minutes at 350 degrees…check after 50 minutes to see if it looks done.

Oven temperatures vary a lot.

After cake cools for ten minutes, then add the thin sugar topping.

Topping
    mix 2 cups of confectioner’s sugar with the juice of half a lemon and half a lime. Add milk or half and half until the mix is thin enough to pour… pour mix over top of the warm cake, it then will seep into the punched holes you made and the cake, when cooled is SO YUMMY.

Sections
Shortcuts