Any recipes to contribute?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Any recipes to contribute?

Granny, I've never heard of basil tea - thanks for the info!  Next summer when basil is coming out our ears I'll try it!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

I bring two cups of water to just boiling, then drop about five or six big leaves into the boiling water and allow it to simmer for five or six minutes.  Not bad at all to the taste and supposed very good for you. 

Can also make ginger root tea this way.

Granny

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks - I'll definitely try steeping the basil come Summer.  I love ginger tea, too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

Here is a knockoff of the Alouette Boursin Cheese Spread:

Boursin Cheese Spread

1 8 oz. Cream cheese, softened Add ½ tsp. of each:

Garlic Powder

Celery Salt

Parsley

Basil

Black Pepper

Dill Weed

I don't happen to care for dill weed so I only add 1/4 tsp. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar,
    You can buy it in stores under the name Tulsi Tea. Tulsi or Holy Basil is widely used in Asia. - Pingo

In Response to Re: Any recipes to contribute?:
    [QUOTE]Granny, I've never heard of basil tea - thanks for the info!  Next summer when basil is coming out our ears I'll try it!
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Ginger tea is exceptionally good for nausea. Hope you will need to drink it soon :)
     - Pingo

[QUOTE]Thanks - I'll definitely try steeping the basil come Summer.  I love ginger tea, too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Hi Pingo,

What stores sell the Tulsi tea? Is it in individual bags or
    just the loose tea?

Thanks, Granny

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Granny,
    I buy mine at S & S in the organic section. Mine is a Lemon Ginger one, and it is lovely. It comes in bags. During the winter months we drink it hot, and during the summer we drink it as ice tea.
    When we went to visit our Pittsburgh son few months ago, he took us to an Italian market, that has a special coffee/tea shop. A small hole in the wall. There we purchased it as loose tea for $$$$. But the bags are just fine.
    HIH - Pingo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Pingo,
    Thank you for answering me so quickly... I'll head over to S&S tomorrow and
    see if our local one carries it. Can't wait to try it.
    Granny

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

I have not idea who gave me this recipe originally.  It's called Neiman Marcus clone Cake. I've baked it quite a few times and my family really enjoyed it. 

It is a nice moist chocolate cake topped with a sweet cream cheese topping. The cake is so easy to make since it is started with a cake mix, and basically everything bakes up together in one pan.

I do rememeber it was suppose to be a clone of the Neiman Marcus cake but not ever having eaten the original cake I can't vouch for this. 

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees prior to starting the mixing of cake.
    You use a 9 x 13 greased and floured pan (I just use the spray flour & oil combo sold in stores...like Baker's Joy or Pam for baking)

1 box of dark chocolate cake mix

4 eggs

1/2 c butter or margerine

1 1/4 c. semi sweet cho. chips
    Note... the original recipe calls for chopped nuts (around 1/2 c.) but I omit them because of allergies in my family.

4 cups icing sugar (confectioners)

1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened

In a large bowl, combine the cake mix with 2 eggs, butter Or margarine; mix until smooth. Pat the mixture into prepared baking pan.

In a bowl, mix together the icing sugar, cream cheese and the remaining 2 eggs until well blended;

Sprinkle the chocolate chips (and chopped nuts if you want them) over top of unbaked cake the pour the cream cheese icing mix over the top. 

Bake for about 40 minutes. Let cake cool a little before cutting.

This cake is best served warm

Granny

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

With the big snowstorm predicted for Tuesday into Wednesday,
    anyone have a good beef stew recipe to share??

Granny

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Sorry Granny, I didn't see your post earlier.
    When I use my crock pot, I hardly ever use a recipe. But this is what I threw together Wednesday morning, while the snow was coming down pretty hard.

In a plastic bag I dumped a couple of Tbs. of flour with a teasp. of paprika, a teasp. of dried thyme and some black pepper. Added bite sizes pieces of beef and shook it up well and browned it in a couple of Tbs. olive oil with a sliced onion.
    Dumped everything in my crock pot. Poured about 1/2 cup of chicken stock in the pot, brought it to a boil to get up all the browned pieces. Dumped that over the beef. Added a bag of small peeled boiler onions, two carrots peeled and sliced into rings and one chopped parsnip (b/c I had it). 1 can of diced tomatoes and 2 Tbs. of tomato paste. Put it on high for 1 hour, then low for 6 - 7 hours.
    Served it with smashed garlic potatoes: Cut up Yukon Gold potatoes in chunks, bring to boil with 3 - 4 of cloves of garlic. Boil until very tender. Drain. Add some salt and pepper and smash it up with a couple of Tbs. of butter with your potato masher or just a fork. No need to add crème or milk. If you want to have a softer consistency, just add some of the potato water.
    Bon Appetite!

[QUOTE]With the big snowstorm predicted for Tuesday into Wednesday, anyone have a good beef stew recipe to share?? Granny
    Posted by Grannyof7[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I found this recipe on the net. It is a Good Housekeeping recipe, so I thought it was worth a try.
    It is a "Slow-cooker Pulled Pork" recipe, but I turned it into a pork stew by using only half the pork (country ribs) cutting the pork into chunks. Still used the same amount of the other ingredients. It made a wonderful sauce.  It was delicious. The amount of sauce may be good for 4 lbs. of pulled pork, but if you make a stew of the same amount of pork, I would double the sauce ingredients. I used only 2 lbs. for my stew and the sauce was adequate served over rice. It was spicy, but not too much. We like it spicier, so I would add 1/2 to 1 teasp. of chili powder the next time. Here we go:

Slow-cooker Pulled Pork:

1 medium onion, chopped
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1/3 cup vinegar
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup tomato paste
    2 Tbs. sweet paprika
    2 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
    2 Tbs. mustard
    1 1/2 teasp.salt
    1 1/4 teasp. black pepper
    4 pounds pork shoulder cut into 4 pieces.

In slow cooker stir all ingredients - except the pork - until combined. Add the pork to the sauce mixture and coat well with the sauce.
    Cook the pork mixture on low for 8 - 10 hours until very tender. Stop here for the stew. It is done.

For the pulled pork:
    With tongs, transfer the pork to a large bowl. Turn the setting on the slow-cooker to high and let the sauce come to boiling to thicken and reduce slightly.
    While the sauce boils, pull the pork into shreds and return to the pot.
    Serve on buns.

Bon appetite! - Pingo

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, Granny, I missed it, too, sorry!

I use a dutch oven with cheap roast about 3 - 4 inches high.  I reduce a pinot noir (Gnarly Head is inexpensive and tasty) by 1/2 on the stove (takes about 15 - 17 minutes of rolling boil) and mix it with chicken or vege stock for the liquid.  Carrots, celery, turnips, and onions to fill in the space around the meat tightly.

Preheat oven to 325. 

Shake meat in flour.  Melt 4 Tbl butter on medium-high and brown meat about 4 minutes on each side.  Remove meat.  Add 3 Tbl white flour and cook on low for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.  Replace meat, fill spaces with veggies.  Pour in reduced wine.  Add stock until the liquid is about one inch from top of meat.  Bring to boil, taste broth and add italian seasons, salt, and pepper to taste, cover, and put in oven 35 minutes per lb of meat.  Remove meat, tent with foil.  Bring remaining ingredients to a boil and thicken without the cover for 10 - 15 minutes.  Cut meat, spoon boiling hot gravy and veggies over.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Thanks everyone for all those great recipes, going to try them all and with the temperature minus 8 when we got up this morning, looks like there are plenty of stew days left in this year.

I'll see if I have any good recipes to contribute later on this week.
    Been pretty busy lately, I babysit for a 18 month old and also a
    amost 3 yr old almost every day of the week.  This old granny is getting mighty tired.  Daughters asked what I wanted for my 71st birthday and I told them "Two days off to relax". LOL

Granny

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

71 - you are my and my DH's folks' age.  The older I get the younger 71 seems.  You do more than I do; we just have a dog, and I haven't babysat since I was 12.  But, I did take the Red Cross Babysitting course and still have the pin to prove it. :)

I should have mentioned that my dutch oven recipe is loosely based on this Coq au Vin recipe from Williams Sonoma.  I made it to the letter once, and it was phenomenal.  I've modified it for all different meats and veggies since then.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Hi Everyone,
    I made a ginger molasses cookie recipe that was in the Globe, so I wanted to share what an awesome recipe it is; if you are looking for a new ginger cookie recipe, here you go.  I love ginger cookies, and have tried many recipes (never had a dud, either!) but some are better than others.  This one is so easy, and the results are truly elegant. 

The only ingredient that I modified is the sugar; the recipe calls 1 cup of light brown sugar, and I made the recipe with one half cup each granulated and brown sugar instead.   If you want them more like ginger snaps, leave them in the oven longer, if you want them chewy, take them out sooner; both can be achieved with this recipe.

I cut and pasted the recipe for you below, but here is the link for all of the cookie recipes from the article:
    http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/food/articles/2009/11/29/holiday_cookie_extravaganza/?page=full
    ===========================================================Ginger Ginger Molasses Cookies - Flour Bakery + Cafe, Boston
    Makes 30

Celebrate wintry flavors of ginger, cinnamon, and clove in these spicy cookies that are lightly crisp around the rim, soft and chewy in the center. Joanne Chang, owner of Flour Bakery + Cafe, which has locations in the South End and Fort Point Channel, says these cookies have been a customer favorite since day one.

12 tablespoons (1½ sticks) unsalted butter
    1 cup packed light brown sugar
    ¼ cup molasses
    1 egg
    2 cups flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon ground ginger
    ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
    ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
    ½ teaspoon salt

Granulated sugar, for coating cookies

In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the butter. Cool for 10 minutes or until no longer hot. In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter, brown sugar, molasses, and egg. Beat with an electric mixer for about 20 seconds or until well blended.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Using a rubber spatula (or beaters on low speed), stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture until fully blended. Refrigerate the dough for at least 3 hours to firm.

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Put granulated sugar in a bowl. Pinch off rounded teaspoon-sized pieces of the dough and roll each into a 1¼-to-1½-inch ball; place them, a few at a time, in the bowl of granulated sugar and toss to coat. Place the balls on the prepared sheet about 3 inches apart.

Bake for 13 to 14 minutes or until the cookies are crackly on top and just barely firm to the touch. Carefully slide the parchment paper (with the cookies on it) off the cookie sheet and onto a wire rack. After about 5 minutes, transfer the cookies to another rack to cool completely. Store the cookies in an airtight container for up to 2 days.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

It's so nice to see people adding to this recipe thread.  With all this new snow today I'm going to make up a batch of those ginger
    cookies because I know my family will eventually be in to help dig out out car...and those cookies will be loved.

Granny

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from katyatRC. Show katyatRC's posts

I was kind of suprised to find this post. I work on a website where people can share recipes with their friends and family called RecipeCan.com. It's a lot more effecient and fun than a thread! I would love for you guys to join :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kathy,
    Congratulations on your web-site. I checked it out, and it is nicely set up and easy to use.
    Efficient? Yes, but not so much more fun.
    Our recipe thread sprung out from our daily Chat. This chat group  know one another from way, way back, and we have so many things in common. One of them is cooking. Age doesn't matter.
    There are so many cooking web-sites, but I have never run into yours. Personally, I just go to Google and ask for whatever dish, I want to make. Loads and loads of web-sited pop up - but not yours.
    Now, that I know you are around, I will check in every so often. Wishing you the best - Pingo

[QUOTE]I was kind of suprised to find this post. I work on a website where people can share recipes with their friends and family called RecipeCan.com. It's a lot more effecient and fun than a thread! I would love for you guys to join :)
    Posted by katyatRC[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yup, we're all buds who care just as much about the recipe as the fact that a friend made it with success and joy for their loved ones.  Often, they are handed down from beloved ones who've gone before us, and that's important to us.  We often cook the same things on the same nights - like we're around a collective table for dinner.  Technology is something else, isn't it?

Nice to know about another site and that it's well thought out and easy to use (all great stuff!), but you can be sure if I want to be efficient, I don't go here first.  LOL! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, you said it ia lot better than I could.---a friend made it with success and joy for their loved ones----
    I do believe, this is what this recipe thread is all about. Websites are good, but this is better. - Pingo

[QUOTE]Yup, we're all buds who care just as much about the recipe as the fact that a friend made it with success and joy for their loved ones.  Often, they are handed down from beloved ones who've gone before us, and that's important to us.  We often cook the same things on the same nights - like we're around a collective table for dinner.  Technology is something else, isn't it? Nice to know about another site and that it's well thought out and easy to use (all great stuff!), but you can be sure if I want to be efficient, I don't go here first.  LOL! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sharing your table is a privilege, dear friend.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Good snowy morning everyone.

I am happy that everyone is comfortable with this thread and wants to stay as a group.  I love reading what each of you writes and I do apologize for not being in here this past couple of weeks.
    Two of the grandchildren had Strep throats, then their mom got a stomach bug so I've been running around like 'drops of water on a hot griddle' as my parents use to say.  Promise to get in here this week with a couple of recipes.

Got to go get this new snow off the porch before my almost 3 yr old granddaughter arrived to play with Granny and Gramps for the day...well, she calls is playing but I call it "Please don't pour the salt onto the table to create snow" day.  LOL

Granny

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Granny, sorry to hear of your family's illnesses!  Hope it's hit everyone it's going to and strep is behind you.  Have fun playing in the salt!

Sections
Shortcuts