Any recipes to contribute?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: Any recipes to contribute?

Granny,
    Sorry to hear about your familiy's misery. Hope all are well on their way to a speedy recovery. - Pingo

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

These sugar cookies are from Americas Test Kitchen as printed in Cook's Illustrated. They are absolutely awesome and worth tying. Crispy edges, chewy in the middle and nicely crackly.

Chewy Chai-Spice Sugar Cookies:

2 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
    1/2 teasp. baking soda
    1 teasp. baking powder
    1/2 teasp. table salt
    1 1/2 cup sugar, plus 1/3 cup for rolling
    1/4 teasp. cinnamon
    14 teasp. ground ginger
    1/4 teasp. ground cardamom
    1/4 teasp. ground cloves
    pinch od black pepper
    2 ounces cream cheese, cut in 8 pieces
    6 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted and still warm
    1/3 cup vegetable oil
    1 large egg
    1 Tbs. milk
    1 teasp. vanilla extract

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line two large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and the spices together. Set aside.
    2. Place 1 1/2 cup sugar and the cream cheese in a large bowl. Pour the warm butter over and whisk to combine. Whisk in the oil until incorporated. Add egg, milk, and vanilla and continue to whisk until smooth. Add the flour mixture and mix until a homogeneous dough forms.
    3. Divide the dough in 24 pieces. About two Tbs. for each and roll  into balls using your hand. Roll balls in sugar to coat and space evenly on you baking sheet. 12 dough balls per sheet. Using the bottom of a drinking glass, flatten the balls to about 2 inches in diameter. Sprinkle tops with a bit of sugar on the top.
    4. Bake, one tray at the time, until the edges are set and just beginning to brown. 11 to 13 minutes, rotating tray after 7 minutes. Cool cookies on the baking sheets for 5 minutes. Then transfer the cookies to a wire rack and cool to room temperature.

My Notes:

I made the Chai Cookies and they were absolutely delicious, but not as spicy as I would have expected. The next time I will double up on the spices.
    If you want just plain sugar cookies, just omit the spices and double up on the vanilla extract.
    Also, the first batch I made, I kept the cookies to the two Tbs. dough as recommended in the recipe. They were rather large. 3 - 4 inches in diameter.  And needed an extra minute in the oven.
    The second batch I made, I used less dough - maybe just a little over a Tbs. They came out perfect cookie size.

Hope you will enjoy them. It may sound like a lot of ingredients, but they were fairly easy to make.
    - Pingo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Pingo, my oldest granddaughter and I made those cookies and to quote her "Through the lips and onto my hips but who cares"!  She loved them (so did I)

Thank you for adding this really yummy recipe.  The only problem is, eating one is not an option after you taste the first cookie...you have a great urge to run off with the plate.

Granny

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Weren't they just awesome? I never heard of incorporating cream cheese before. But oh, were they ever delicious. - Pingo

In Response to Re: Any recipes to contribute?:
    Pingo, my oldest granddaughter and I made those cookies and to quote her "Through the lips and onto my hips but who cares"!  She loved them (so did I) Thank you for adding this really yummy recipe.  The only problem is, eating one is not an option after you taste the first cookie...you have a great urge to run off with the plate. Granny
    Posted by Grannyof7

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Granny a question for you. Do you subscribe to Cooking Illustrated? The sugar cookies made me think so. I have now for the past 3 years. I used to love the mag, when I first received it, but now I feel the recipes are getting repeated w/just a bit of a twinge or two.
    I am due to renew my subscription, but thinking of cancelling it all together for a couple of years. Am I making a mistake?
    I used to subscribe to MS's Food Everyday, but got tired of it. Did not subscribe for several years, but recently saw a few copies and thought they were awesome. Maybe, we cooks just need new avenues once in a while.
    I think of you as a cooking maven, but anyone can chime in of course. - Pingo

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Hi Pingo,

Sorry it took me so long to get in here, I have flat out with all the grandchildren needing to be watched lately.  School vacation starts Friday PM and I can't wait to have a week off to just play on my computer (ha, like that will happen).  

Humm, me? a cooking maven?  Nah, just an old lady (turning 71 on Thursday the 17th) who has been cooking since I was ten years old.  I never subscribed to Cooking Illustrated but I do think I might have read it a couple of times a few years ago.  I really am not into the long and complicated recipes that are published in 'fancy' magazines and prefer something that is quick and good to eat.  I loved Emeril when he use to say "Hey, it ain't brain surgery folks". 

I do like the magazine Simple & Delicious, have you read that one?

I think all recipes are very similar. I remember many years ago when I was working with a group on a cookbook and so many times we had four or five similar recipes from different people, each saying it was "their mother's creation". 

My own wonderful mother-in-law had many good recipes (she was a graduate of the Fanny Farmer's Cooking School) and she had one particular chocolate cake that everyone raved about. It took forever to learn just how to make the cake but finally I mastered it.  A few weeks ago my oldest daughter made a very similar cake and I was amazed that she had learned how to make the special cake.  You can imagine my surprise when she told me it was German chocolate cake from a box mix with 1/4 teas. of Saigon cinnamon and 1/4 cup of fine white sugar added to the mix.    Needless to say, this old lady will no longer be taking forever in the kitchen...I'll just grab my German chocolate cake in a box!

Granny

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Granny,
    So right you are! Things have changed a lot since our mothers and grandmothers cooked and baked.
    But I do have to tell you, that there IS a difference in taste in what is made from scratch or from a box. Truly! Of course the new generation will never know that, as they are used to the boxes. And I think, they are weaning us old ladies as well.
    I have made the pouch sugar cookies for years. Fast and easy. But after I made the ones featured in the mag, I mentioned, there is no going back to the pouches. Just as fast and easy - and much, much better tasting w/o all the preservatives in the pouches.
    Belated Happy Birthday! Mine is coming up soon - I am a year older than you.
    - Pingo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Granny,
    A month or so ago, you asked for beef stew recipes. Yesterday in the Sunday Globe Magazine, there were 3 lovely beef stew recipes. One basic one and two variations:

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/food/articles/2011/02/20/three_classic_french_beef_stews/

It is still cold enough - and it is even snowing this morning - for a good beef stew.
    - Pingo

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Hi Pingo,

Will go check out those stew recipes tonight.  Not sure what I'm having this weekend...seems like a lot of rain headed in here now and with all this snow, my basement might need me to build an ark! LOL

I am so lazy I know I'm about five recipes behind so I'd better go through my files and add something good.

Do you remember the cake from the 50's and 60's called Daffodil cake?  I was just talking with my daughter about how that can be made easily using a box mix angel food cake, 2 packages of the real boil on stove type of lemon pie filling and about a pint and a half of heavy whipped cream.  Well, we all know that back in the 60's nobody gave a hoot about waistline and cholesterol.

Hope I'm remembering the direction right....
    One packaged Angel food cake ... made according to directions.
    Make the lemon pie filling and let cool down. 
    Mix up the whipped cream with powdered sugar to sweeten.

Cut the angel food cake into three layers, frost bottom layer with some of the whipped cream and then some pudding, then more whipped cream...repeat layering with next two layers. 
    Gently fold the remaining lemon pudding into the remaining
    whipped cream and frost the entire cake with this.
    Refrigerate the cake for at least 4 hrs prior to slicing.  Like having a big whipped lemon cheesecake...YUMMY

I always cut up a few lemon drops into petals and make lemon flowers on the top of the cake for decoration.

enjoy

Granny

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Granny,
    Thanks for your Lemon/Angel cake recipe. No, I don't remember it - I was not here then. Good you remembered it. It sounds delicious and light.
    I bet my Danish Lemon Mousse would do well in that cake substituting the cooked lemon pudding and the whipped cream. Maybe something to try.
    I just made a old fashioned Danish apple cake this morning, which also includes whipped cream, to bring to friends tonight.  Very different from what you Americans know as apple pie or cake. It is not baked at all. Will see, how my friends like it. If they love it, I might post the recipe. - Pingo

Ps. I hope your cellar stays dry. I never see you posting on the Chat. I am sure you would have a lot of other things but food and cooking to contribute to. Take a jump over there some day. We would love to have you join us.
    - P

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

I do not take any credit for this recipe since the recipe was given to me by
    a friend a few years ago.  I have no idea who invented it originally but it is
    good and very festive looking.

Granny

S. Patrick's Day
    Green Cream Cheesecake

1 c graham cracker crumbs
    1/4 c sugar
    1/4 c margarine, melted
    1 ea. envelope unflavored gelatin
    1/2 c cold water
    1 c sugar
    3 ea large eggs, separated
    16 oz cream cheese, softened
    2 tb cocoa
    2 tb bourbon
    1 cup whipping cream, whipped

IN ADDITION, for top decoration
    1 c whipping cream, whipped
    Green Food coloring
    Green sugar crystals

1. Combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and margarine; press onto bottom of 9-inch spring form pan.
    2. Soften gelatin in water, stir over low heat until dissolved. Blend in 3/4 cup sugar and beaten egg yolks; cook stirring constantly, over low heat, 3 minutes.
    3. Combine cream cheese and cocoa, mixing at medium speed on electric mixer until well blended. Gradually add gelatin mixture and bourbon, mixing until well blended.
    4. Chill until thickened, but not set.
    5. Beat egg whites until foamy; gradually adding the remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites and whipped cream into cheese mixture and pour over crust. Chill until firm.
    6. Beat the additional whipped cream, tinting with green food coloring..before serving pie top with with swirls whipped cream tinted green,  and sprinkle with green surgar crystals if desired - or make a green whipped cream shamrock on top of pie  and then sprinkle shamrock with green sugar crystals.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

This is for serious cooks!
    I was looking for a recipe on the net and came across this website:
    http://www.copykatchat.com/content/
    It has hundreds of recipes from known restaurants. Ever had a taste of something in a restaurant, you would like to copy?
    Just thought I would pass on the info.
    - Pingo

Granny, where have you been? Everything ok with you?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Neat, thanks, Pingo!  I'll enjoy perusing that for sure.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Here I am Pingo.  I just have been extremely busy with the grandchildren having their school vacation and a couple of birthday parties thrown in to make sure old granny kept cooking.  Thought with St. Patrick's Day coming this week you might enjoy trying this spicy cake that my family likes.  I know we have one reader in here who has an allergic reaction to cloves, so please omit the cloves (or any other spice) if allergic, I'm sure the cake will still taste as good.

This is not an original recipe of mine and I have no idea where it came from but
    I do know it's yummy.

Irish raisin spice cake

4 cups flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg                                                                                                        1 teaspoon ground allspice                                                                                                                      1/8 teaspoon ground clove
    1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (2 sticks PLUS 2 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut up
    1 cup white sugar                                                                                                                                      1 cup brown sugar
    Grated rind of 1 lemon
    Grated rind of 1 orange
    1 1/2 cups  raisins
    12 ounces of stout or porter
    2 eggs, beaten

1. Set the oven at 300 degrees (yes, it is a lower, slow cooking temperature but this is a moist, dense cake). Grease a 10-inch tube pan and dust with flour or use a spray flour baking spry like Baker's Choice

2. In a bowl, sift together the flour, salt, nutmeg, and allspice and cloves.3. Use two knives or a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour mixture until it looks like coarse meal. 4. Stir in the sugar, lemon and orange rinds, and raisins.5. In a bowl,combine the stout and eggs. Mix well and stir into the flour mixture.6. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan tube pan and bake for 2 1/2 hours, or until the top is looking cooked test with a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake. If the tester comes out clean, then remove cake from oven and place on wire cooling rack.

This is a dense cake and may take 45 mins. to cool.  When cool it can be served with a slice of Irish cheddar cheese.  Very good and extremely filling.

Just realized I missed your birthday Pingo, belated birthday wishes to you.  I did check out the recipe web site you posted and when I saw the Pizza Hut recipe for their pizza sauce I knew that was one I am going to try very soon. 

Hope everyone has a wonderful St. Patrick's Day

Granny

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Granny,
    Good to know all is well with you.
    That spice cake you posted sounds potent and delicious. Since DH and I cannot eat an entire cake, I was thinking of making it as cup cakes and freeze. But I guess it will not be possible, since it sounds more like a bread like concoction. Will have to cut it in slices and freeze those. - Pingo

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Good morning everyone

We have been in sick bay here, with 8 grandchildren all sharing their 'germs' with us.  The worse one was the stomach flu but at least I did manage to get rid of the extra six pounds I had gained over the Christmas holidays.  I guess there is a bright side to everything if you just look hard enough. 

Thought with the snow predicted for today you ladies (and gents) might like to try this recipe...very yummy and my grandchildren, who are sweet lovers, like it sometimes served with warm blueberries and cream on the top.

Have a great day

Granny

Blueberry breakfast treat

3/4 c. sugar plus 1 tablespoon more

1/4 c. melted butter (yes, butter but you can use margerine) 

2 eggs

3/4 c. milk

2 c. flour

2 t. baking powder

1/2 t. salt
    1/8th teaspoon clove (or omit if you want)

1/4 t. cinnamon

2 c. blueberries

I always toss blueberries in a little flour prior to additing so they don't sink to
    bottom.

Topping mix is easy and very good
    1/2 c. sugar

1/3 c. flour

1/4 c. melted butter

1 t. cinnamon

Combine the sugar, butter and egg. Beat with mixer until evenly mixed. Gradually stir in the milk.

Add remaining ingredients (except blueberries) to the sugar mixture and blend until evenly mixed. Gently fold in the blueberries. Spread the batter in a greased, 9-inch baking pan.

Add topping and bake at 375 degrees for approximately 45 minutes, or until done. Makes 6 servings.

Granny

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Granny,
    This sounds so yummy! We are big blueberry lovers in our house, so this will be just down our lane.
    Expecting live-in company in less than a month. This will definitely be one of our breakfasts. Thanks for sharing - Pingo

Good morning everyone We have been in sick bay here, with 8 grandchildren all sharing their 'germs' with us.  The worse one was the stomach flu but at least I did manage to get rid of the extra six pounds I had gained over the Christmas holidays.  I guess there is a bright side to everything if you just look hard enough.  Thought with the snow predicted for today you ladies (and gents) might like to try this recipe...very yummy and my grandchildren, who are sweet lovers, like it sometimes served with warm blueberries and cream on the top. Have a great day Granny Blueberry breakfast treat 3/4 c. sugar plus 1 tablespoon more 1/4 c. melted butter (yes, butter but you can use margerine)  2 eggs 3/4 c. milk 2 c. flour 2 t. baking powder 1/2 t. salt 1/8th teaspoon clove (or omit if you want) 1/4 t. cinnamon 2 c. blueberries I always toss blueberries in a little flour prior to additing so they don't sink to bottom. Topping mix is easy and very good 1/2 c. sugar 1/3 c. flour 1/4 c. melted butter 1 t. cinnamon Combine the sugar, butter and egg. Beat with mixer until evenly mixed. Gradually stir in the milk. Add remaining ingredients (except blueberries) to the sugar mixture and blend until evenly mixed. Gently fold in the blueberries. Spread the batter in a greased, 9-inch baking pan. Add topping and bake at 375 degrees for approximately 45 minutes, or until done. Makes 6 servings. Granny
    Posted by Grannyof7

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

You are most welcome Pingo.  Wish we had more respose in here but
    I think everyone is so busy with daily activities it is hard to get a lot of
    interest going.

If you have any particular recipe you are seeking or even looking for blueberry recipes, anything like that, let me know, I might be able to help.  We have all been battling stomach flu for almost three weeks here, it just keeps making the rounds through the extended family. Guess that is what happens when you have a large family and they are all extremely close.   Our youngest daughter (well, she is in her late 30's now) and her son have both developed viral pneumonia.
    Sure hope we don't catch that. 

Granny

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

Does anyone have a recipe for marinated mushrooms?  The Globe's Cookbook for Brides doesn't have one and I've given all my other cookbooks to my daughters.  Big mistake on my part....lol.  Thanks.  Obbieite

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Hi Obbieite,

I have some recipes that I'll share but right now I'm getting ready to have my 2 and 3 yr old granddaughters arrive for babysitting.
    I'll try and get back in later on this afternoon with a couple of recipes for you.

Yes, like you, I gave most of my cookbooks to my daughters...they however, feel the books should be used as decoration rather than cooking! LOL

Granny

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Obbie,

Funny you should ask. I just made these for my dinner party last Saturday, so my stick-on was still on the page. Courtesy of Kay Mc Carthy in a Starmarket book printed in 1983. I have made them over and over again, and they are always a hit.

Marinated Mushrooms

2/3 cup olive oil
    1/3 cup wine vinegar
    1/2 teasp. sugar
    1/2 teasp. dried basil
    1/2 teasp. dried thyme
    4 peppercorn
    2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
    2 boxes (12 ounces each) fresh mushrooms

Combine all ingredients except mushrooms in saucepan. Cook over medium heat 12 to 15 minutes. Slice large mushrooms into thirds and small ones into halves. Pour the hot mixture over the mushrooms. Remove the peppercorn. Cool, then cover and refrigerate.

Note: You can add more herbs or spices, if you like. I usually use 4 cloves of garlic and slice them instead of mincing them. I also use regular apple cider vineger, if I don't have the wine vinegar in the house. I always look for the smallest mushrooms I can find and if small enough, I leave them whole. They will shrink in the marinate. Also, Kay says to remove the peppercorn, but I leave them in.

Enjoy - Pingo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

Obbie, Funny you should ask. I just made these for my dinner party last Sunday, so my stick on was still on the page. Courtesy of Kay Mc Carthy in a Starmarket book printed in 1983. I have made them over and over again, and they are always a hit. Marinated Mushrooms 2/3 cup olive oil 1/3 cup wine vinegar 1/2 teasp. sugar 1/2 teasp. dried basil 1/2 teasp. dried thyme 4 peppercorn 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced 2 boxes (12 ounces each) fresh mushrooms Combine all ingredients except mushrooms in saucepan. Cook over medium heat 12 to 15 minutes. Slice large mushrooms into thirds and small ones into halves. Pour the hot mixture over the mushrooms. Remove the peppercorn. Cool, then cover and refrigerate. Note: You can add more herbs or spices, if you like. I usually use 4 cloves of garlic and slice them instead of mincing them. I also use regular apple cider vineger, if I don't have the wine vinegar in the house. I always look for the smallest mushrooms I can find and if small enough, I leave them whole. They will shrink in the marinate. Also, Kay says to remove the peppercorn, but I leave them in. Enjoy - Pingo
    Posted by pingo

Thanks for the recipe, Pingo.  I'll try it this weekend and let you know how we like it.  Granny:  I look forward to your recipes too.  I'll try them all for sure.  Obbieite.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

This is really not a recipe, but Amber asked for the way I make my American Chop Suey.

-Boil noodles, macaroni or whatever pasta you like, but undercook them a bit. Drain.
    - Sauté a chopped onion - in olive oil. Add 1 lbs of ground beef and brown it.
    - Stir in a can of diced tomatoes and a couple of Tbs. of tomato paste and simmer for 10 minutes.
    - Cut cream cheese in small pieces. Mix everything together and place in a baking dish.
    - Cover top with some shredded cheese and bake in a 375 degree oven for about 25 - 30 minutes.

It is a really good dish to make from leftovers. Leftover Spaghetti sauce, leftover noodles etc. I have also sometimes added chopped green pepper, sliced black olives or frozen corn. Once I made it all vegetarian by using finely chopped carrots  instead of the ground beef. It came out really good.
    I also like it, b/c I can prepare it ahead of time and just bake it before dinner.
    - Pingo

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ambergirl. Show ambergirl's posts

Pingo, I love marinated mushrooms!  I have to make those too.  My mouth is watering at the thought..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Hi everyone!

I've never posted on this thread before, but I noticed that someone asked for some healthier recipes and then a blueberry recipe just popped up, so I thought you might enjoy this muffin recipe I adapted from the tried and true Betty Crocker cookbook.

Banana Blueberry Wholewheat Muffins

1 egg
    1/2 C milk
    1/4 C canola oil
    2 ripe bananas, mashed
    1 1/2 C whole wheat flour
    1/4 C sugar
    1/4 C Splenda
    2 teas baking powder
    1/2 teas salt
    1 C fresh or frozen blueberries

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
    Beat egg; stir in milk, oil and bananas.
    Mix in remaining ingredients until flour is just moistened -- I usually add the blueberries after some of the mixing is done, so they don't get too crushed.
    Fill 12 muffin cups 2/3 full.
    Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

I usually use frozen blueberries and I don't bother thawing them first (I buy the huge bags from BJs).  It seems like the batter would be too wet to work, but they come out great every time -- moist and yummy.  Plus they are so quick to make.

Pingo:  I might just try that Am Chopped Suey recipe.  I've made my own version, just by guesswork, but I'm sure it's nothing like the version my Memere used to make -- so many great dishes I remember, but I have no idea how to make, sadly.  So this thread is a great way to tap the collective cooking "genes" out there!  8^)

Sections
Shortcuts