Any recipes to contribute?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Re: Any recipes to contribute?

Sorry it too me so long to get back in here with my marinated mushroom recipes, here are two more.
    Granny

Marinated Mushroom
    Recipe #1

2 cups of olive oil, I use the extra virgin one mostly but light olive oil can also be used.
    7 cloves of sliced garlic
    1 pound small white mushrooms, cleaned and stems removed.
    1/3 c. fresh squeezed lemon juice or a combination of lemon and lime.
    7 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
    1 tablespoon of chopped oregano
    2 tablespoons of chopped tarragon
    2 teaspoons Kosher salt
    1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper... I use the pepper medley that comes in the grinder bottle
     a pinch or two of crushed red pepper flakes

Bring ingredients to a boil in non reactive stainless steel pan, drop heat back to a simmer and let go for about 15 minutes. Cool completely, then add your mushrooms and place everything into a plastic zip bag, marinate overnight in the refrigerator to infuse the marinade flavors into the mushrooms.

RECIPE #2

1/2 c. olive oil
    1/2 c. white wine vinegar
    3 Tbsp. each of chopped parsley, minced green onion and 4 cloves of garlic, minced fine.
    add
    1 1/2 tsp. white sugar
    2/3 tsp. dried basil, crumbled well.  I prefer to use the fresh basil finely chopped, if available.
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper, fresh ground

Bring ingredients to boil in non reactive stainless steel pan, drop back to simmer and let go for about 15 minutes. Cool completely,
    fill plastic bag with cooled marinade, add your mushrooms and leave overnight in refrigerator to acquire good flavor.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Welcome Sandwich! Hope you will contribute more in the future. Your blueberry muffins is just down my alley. I make a lot of banana bread. Now I have another way to use up "done" bananas and I always have frozen blueberries inmy freezer. One question though. If I don't want to use Splenda - will an equal amount of sugar do? Or can you make them w/ less sugar?
    Also please note the Chop Suey is my concoction made by guesswork too. Hope you like it - Pingo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Hi Pingo,

Loved your American chop suey recipe and will give it a try this weekend. My husband and I were just talking about eating that when we were younger and saying we'd like to try some again.

Have a great weekend everyone.

SANDWICH, WELCOME.  It is so nice to see new people interested in this group,
    I can't wait to see more healthy recipes offered.  I come from the old era where we used butter on everything and I think it's time for this old gal to learn some new ways of baking.  Have never tried using the artificial sugars but will definitely give this recipe a try because hubby and myself are looking to stay healthy as long as possible.

Granny

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Hi, pingo & Granny!  Thanks so much for the warm welcome.

For the muffins, you could definitely use just sugar, and you could also experiment with reducing the sugar.  The berries and bananas add plenty of sweetness, so not much sugar is really needed -- except that the sugar adds to the texture.  (For example, in cookie recipes where I've tried to replace a lot of the sugar with splenda, the cookies come out like biscuits -- not awful, but not really cookie-like, either.  Not sure if that is due to the lack of sugar or the presence of the Splenda, though.)

I'm always looking for ways to make a dish healthier and also easier -- I'm a very lazy cook!  ;-)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

pingo, I have a question about your American Chop Suey.  How much cream cheese do you use?  And also, why?  I mean what does the cream cheese do -- does it just make it creamier, or does the dish end up with distinct pieces of the cream cheese?  I would never have thought of putting cream cheese in, but my memory of my grandmother's version of the dish is really hazy.

Either way, it sounds pretty good!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Sandwich,
    I am one that hardly use recipes, so I just cut up cream cheese for what I think is right. It all depends on what amount of noodles and sauce you have. But let's say you use half a packet of noodles or pasta - I will use 3/4 package of an 8 ounces cream cheese. The  cream cheese does melt, but does not run - if you know, what I mean.
    I started to add it years ago, b/c I found that the chop sue sometimes came out a bit dry. And now it has become a must in our family.
    HTH - Pingo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

My DIL taught me this dressing. She serves it over a wonderful carrot pepper salad. I serve it over a salad, coleslaw or with a fish dinner. (Goes nicely with fish sticks, tt).
    You can make it as thick or as liquidly as you like by varying the amount of buttermilk. If you don't have buttermilk in the house, you can make it from a cup of milk and 2 Tbs. of vinegar and let that sit for 5 minutes to make butter milk (but i am sure you all know that). I use all "low fat" products, but one can of course use anything one wants. We are not all on a diet, are we? Also, one can add any fresh herbs to one's liking. However, unless I know I am going to use it with in a few hours (like for a party), I don't use fresh herbs. Parsley is great, so is Coriander if you like that taste.

Homemade Ranch Dressing

1/2 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1 cup buttermilk
    1/2 cup minced onion
    1 clove minced garlic
    1/4 teasp. dried Thyme leaves
    1/4 teasp. ground oregano
    1 jalapeno, minced
    2 - 3 green onions, thinly sliced
    salt and pepper to taste

Whisk together the sour cream, mayo, and buttermilk. Add the rest and mix well. Keeps well in the refrigerator in a tightly closed jar - and it has NO PRESERVATIVES.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

In Response to Re: Any recipes to contribute?:
    [QUOTE]Sandwich, I am one that hardly use recipes, so I just cut up cream cheese for what I think is right. It all depends on what amount of noodles and sauce you have. But let's say you use half a packet of noodles or pasta - I will use 3/4 package of an 8 ounces cream cheese. The  cream cheese does melt, but does not run - if you know, what I mean. I started to add it years ago, b/c I found that the chop sue sometimes came out a bit dry. And now it has become a must in our family. HTH - Pingo
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Pingo, I bet the new Philly Cooking Cream Cheese would do in this recipe too.  When I make American Chop Suey, I sometimes add a small container of sour cream to the cooked macaroni before adding the meat sauce or even a small container of Ricotta to the macaroni.  Delicious any way you do it though!
    I just got a great deal on the Philly Cooking Cream Cheese here the other day.  It sells for $2.99 and they were doubling coupons up to $1.98...I had a coupon for $1.50...hence it was doubled to $3.00 so I got it free.  The best part is that it was also on special BOGO....so I got two of them for free!  Doesn't get any better than that!
    Your recipe for marinated mushrooms was great.  Thanks.  I'll try the other recipes in a few weeks and I'm sure we'll like them all. 
    Obbieite

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Obbie, I have yet to try the new cooking Philly. Please let us know, how it is to cook with. IMO anyway, if it is supposed to be used for cooking, I believe it will be more creamier and will run and mix too much. But it is definitely worth a try, since you were so lucky to get a stach of it. I am anxious to know, how it works out for you
    - Pingo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnath. Show johnath's posts

[QUOTE]Obbie, I have yet to try the new cooking Philly. Please let us know, how it is to cook with. IMO anyway, if it is supposed to be used for cooking, I believe it will be more creamier and will run and mix too much. But it is definitely worth a try, since you were so lucky to get a stach of it. I am anxious to know, how it works out for you - Pingo
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]
    Sorry for the delay. I am now married. I very seldom post because I do not find it enjoyable. I liked it when people exchanged ideas. There seems to be more " I am smarter than you" comments.
    You asked about wine for Mexican food. I am a beer drinker with Mexican food. I did google wine for Mexican food and was surprised at the results.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Obbieite. Show Obbieite's posts

[QUOTE]Obbie, I have yet to try the new cooking Philly. Please let us know, how it is to cook with. IMO anyway, if it is supposed to be used for cooking, I believe it will be more creamier and will run and mix too much. But it is definitely worth a try, since you were so lucky to get a stach of it. I am anxious to know, how it works out for you - Pingo
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]
    Yes, you're probably right.  I'm going to Lima, Peru tomorrow for a few days so it will probably be at least a week or so before I get to try it out to see if it a bit "runny" - Obbie.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Obbie,
    Our son went for a 4 weeks trip to Peru and Bolivia a few years ago with friends. When they were ready to come back home leaving from Lima, the flight they were booked on - from here, ahead of time - was non existent. No such flight. We muse about that often.
    Have a nice trip - Pingo

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Hi Obie and everyone

Hope we get some new recipes in here from Peru... I love trying new recipes. 

Regarding the American chop suey, I never have tried the cream cheese but it sounds good. I've seen the new cream cheese that is for adding to cooking but haven't tried it so am looking forward to someone letting us know if it works well.  

The recipe my daughter uses the most is pretty simple to do, just hamburger, or ground turkey, diced peppers (bigger dicing, not tiny) celery, onion, sometimes a clove or 2 of garlic (depending on my mood) elbow macaroni, dash of Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper and of course, a couple of 8 oz cans of tomato sauce and then I add some shredded cheese which can be mozzarella or even a blended pizza cheese.  Pop in oven and enjoy. 

I am so happy we are getting a good response to this thread.

Pingo, read the comment about your age and just wanted to let you know you are not alone my friend I am 'pass' the 70 mark myself and still having a busy life.  Yesterday I watched grandchildren ages 2, 3, 5, 6, 9 and 12.  Only mishap occurred when the 2 and 3 yr. old decided to play cooking and dumped the contents of a bottle of ground cloves and a bottle of Saigon cinnamon all over my kitchen floor.  At least my house smells wonderful today.

Granny

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That was an expensive game!

You can add cream cheese to your daughter's suey recipe - it will be delicious.  Adjust seasoning, though, it makes it require a little more salt and pepper.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

Thanks Kargiver, I'm going to try that tomorrow.  At least it will
    give me something to do while the snow comes down. 

Granny

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If you're not sure, remove a bowl and stir in a little cream cheese before you taint the whole batch.

Enjoy!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Granny,
    Sorry to hear about your wasted spices.  But it sounds like you kept smiling. What else could you do?
    I just made a bowl full of chop sue a few days ago.  One lbs. ground beef, two chopped onions, 1 diced jalapeno (leave the pepper out if you want, but it just gives it a nice flavor w/o being hot), a 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes and 8 oz. of tomato sauce. 1/2 pack of egg noodles and 8 oz of cream cheese cut up.  I add the cream cheese instead of mixing in cheese. Cut it up in 3/4 inch pieces and stir it in with the warm noodles. Then sprinkle it w/ cheese and bake it. Have to say, it was really, really good. Homey, stick to the bones.
    Kar is right, you can add the cream cheese to your daughter's recipe. It will only enhance it.
    Enjoy - Pingo

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

One of my daughters came in with a cake for dessert last night and it had a really good chocolate frosting on it. She gave me the recipe and told me to make sure I refrigerated the cake since the frosting would 'spoil' otherwise...so be sure to refrigerate anything you frost with this icing ... but it is good.

Granny

Chocolate frosting mix

3 1/2 ounces instant chocolate pudding mix

1/4 cup powdered sugar

1 cup cold milk

8 ounces non-dairy whipped topping (she used Cool Whip)

Beat pudding mix, powdered sugar and cold milk on medium speed until well blended. Fold in whipped topping. Refrigerate frosted cake or  any of the leftover frosting.

She frosted a 9 x 13 cake with this and we didn't have any leftovers.  LOL

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Granny,
    Chocolate frosting mix? I know, this is a very dumb question. But is this a can of frosting mix (like the ones, you can buy) - or is it the name of the recipe? It doen't come clear to me. - Pingo

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grannyof7. Show Grannyof7's posts

OOOPS, didn't mean to confuse anyone-sorry.
    It is Frosting and I (for some senior moment reason) added the
    word 'mix'. 

It is like a whipped cream chocolate frosting ( or mousse).... and it is very good.  My daughter said she has also made it with Vanilla pudding mix and her family liked it that way also.

Granny

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Looking for a "tried and true" scones recipe for "the wedding" tmw. morning. Anyone have one? The internet have many, but I have never made them and would rather use  recipe one of you posters could say good for. - Pingo

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've never had a homemade scone I really liked so I never tried to make them myself.  I do like bakery ones, however, and I wish I knew their secret.  GL!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sugarxo. Show sugarxo's posts

Apricot Squares!

Delicious recipe from my friends great grandmother:

Apricot Squares

1C Butter, melted
    2C all purpose flour
    1/2 C sugar
    16 oz jar of apricot (or any flavor) preserves

Combine butter, flour and sugar together.  Take 2/3 of the dough and flatten it into a greased pan.  Spread the preserves on top of the dough, leaving approximately half an inch of crust on the sides.  Dot the remaining dough over the preserves. Bake at 350 for 20 to 30 minutes.. cool and cut into squares.

these are the most flaky delectable and simple recipe...Enjoy!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sugarxo, I've had these - they are wonderful.  Buttery and just sweet enough to be yummy without overdoing it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Scones
    adopted from "How to Cook Everything" by Mark Bittman.

2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 scant tsp. salt
    4 tsp. baking powder
    1 Tbs. sugar
    5 Tbs. cold butter
    3 eggs
    3/4 cup cream
    1/3 cup raisins or other additions (cranberries, about 1 Tbs. grated lemon or orange zest, chopped nuts etc.)

If you have a large enough food processor that takes 2 cups of flour, this will be very easy, but I don't have one large enough for that, so I did it the manual way.
    Sift all the dry ingredients together. Cut the butter in tiny pieces and rub them in the dry ingredients. I grated the very cold butter on the large holes of a cheese grater. The butter should be fully incorporated w/o melting before you proceed. (I stopped and put mine in a my refrigerator for 15 minutes).
    Beat 2 of the eggs with the cream (I used half and half) and quickly combine them with the flour mixture. I did mine plain since I had homemade strawberry jam to go with them, but this is the time to fold in any additions.
    Turn the dough out on a lightly floured counter and knead a few times just to combine everything, but the less you work on it the better the scones will be.
    If the dough is too sticky add a bit more flour but not too much; the dough should still stick to your hands.
    Pat the dough into a round 8 - 10 inch disk on a cooking sheet covered with parchment paper. Cut in 8 or 10 wedges and separate them a bit (1 inch is good).
    Beat the last egg with 1 Tbs. of water and brush the top of each scone; sprinkle each with a bit of granulated sugar.
    Note: Bittman pat the dough into a 3/4 inch thick rectangle and cut out 2 inch round scones with a biscuit cutter. Then reshape the leftovers and cut again. I found this unnecessary. My triangular scones worked fine.
    Bake @ 450 degrees for 7 to 9 minutes or until they are beautiful golden brown.
    Best eaten the same day.

I have never made them before, but I found they were really easy to make and they tasted wonderful. I will definitely make them again.

- Pingo

ETA: The second time I made these scones, I used my food processor. I only have the Little Pro Plus, which I conveniently use daily to chop a bit of nuts, chop herbs, make salad dressings etc. But it can only take about a cup of flour. So I used one cup of the flour, the one Tbs. of sugar, the salt, the baking powder and all the butter cut up in pieces. Gave it a good whirl. Then added this to the second cup of flour in a bowl and mixed it up quickly with my fingers. Continued the recipe adding the eggs and milk etc. Voila! Easy and just as good. SIL took home the recipe, and THAT is a compliment.