Appetizer Recipe

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Appetizer Recipe

I'm going to a wine tasting party this weekend and I have to bring an appetizer.  I was looking for something different that is well-liked.  Do you have any suggestions?  recipes?  (It's for about 20 people)

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

Re: Appetizer Recipe

The absolute easiest appetizer I’ve ever done that is well liked by everyone I’ve ever made for is this.  You take kielbasa and cut it into slices. 

Then combine equal amounts for chili sauce and grape jelly (I suppose you could use any flavor jelly but I’ve always used grape) and heat the kielbasa with the sauce mix. 

The kielbasa is already cooked so all you have to do is bring it to a boil for just a minute and you are done.  Put it in a crock pot and you are ready to go.  Not really sure how it would go with wine though. 

Another easy alternative is to make foot long sandwiches and cut it up into approx 1 inch slices.  You need to find those 3 foot long French breads.  I find that if you buy a pound each of provolone cheese, salami, mortadella and ham you will have enough for 2 full sandwiches.  Layer it in that order.  When layering the meats, try not to overlap the slices too much so it’s not really fat in the middle. 

At a lot of deli these days, you can find that “submarine dressing”, sprinkle that somewhat generously over the meats and then slice it up.  You could also add onion and shredded lettuce but I’ve often left that off.  Personally, I would prefer to add hots too but I never do because not everyone likes it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

chazz:  Would you have access to your host's oven?  I have two appetizers that are fairly easy to make but do require cooking in a hot oven.  (You could probably start them in your own oven, and just rewarm them at your host's place, but I haven't tried that.)

Anyway, the first one is for stuffed mushrooms.  Remove the stems and fill the caps with a garlic herb soft cheese, like Allouette or Boursin.  Sprinkle seasoned breadcrumbs on top and bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes.  Easy to make and very tasty.

The other is for a pastry rollup using prepared pie crust, like the refrigerated Pillsbury pie crusts.  I make more than one version, but the easiest is to unroll one pie crust and top it with thin sliced cheese and ham, leaving a 1" border of crust around the edges.  Then loosely roll the crust to form a pinwheeled cylinder.  Put the roll on a cookie sheet with the seam down and fold the edges under.  Bake at 450 for 12 to 17 minutes or until golden brown.  Once you remove it from the oven, cut into 3/4 - 1 inch slices.

You can add a veggie like asparagus to the ham and cheese rollup -- for asparagus, you don't even need to precook it, because it should cook enough in the oven.  The other version of this appetizer that I make is slightly more involved.  I saute sliced mushrooms in olive oil and herbs.  When the mushrooms are tender, I add baby spinach and cook till just wilted and remove from heat.  Use this filling along with cheese -- very thin sliced swiss cheese or shredded fontina work well -- and follow the same directions for rolling and baking as above.  

Both rollup recipes can be prepared a day in advance -- I wrap each in non-stick foil, and then bake 'em (unwrapped!) right on the foil for easy cleanup.  Also, the pie crusts come two to a box -- each roll-up makes about 16 slices, so two should work well for 20 people.

Hope this helps!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

In Response to Re: Appetizer Recipe:
    [QUOTE]The absolute easiest appetizer I’ve ever done that is well liked by everyone I’ve ever made for is this.   You take kielbasa and cut it into slices.     Then combine equal amounts for chili sauce and grape jelly (I suppose you could use any flavor jelly but I’ve always used grape) and heat the kielbasa with the sauce mix.     The kielbasa is already cooked so all you have to do is bring it to a boil for just a minute and you are done.   Put it in a crock pot and you are ready to go.   Not really sure how it would go with wine though.     Another easy alternative is to make foot long sandwiches and cut it up into approx 1 inch slices.   You need to find those 3 foot long French breads.   I find that if you buy a pound each of provolone cheese, salami, mortadella and ham you will have enough for 2 full sandwiches.   Layer it in that order.   When layering the meats, try not to overlap the slices too much so it’s not really fat in the middle.   At a lot of deli these days, you can find that “submarine dressing”, sprinkle that somewhat generously over the meats and then slice it up.   You could also add onion and shredded lettuce but I’ve often left that off.   Personally, I would prefer to add hots too but I never do because not everyone likes it.
    Posted by AGUY1[/QUOTE]

That sounds good.  Is the kielbasa like a sweet and sour sauce?
    Thanks!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]chazz:  Would you have access to your host's oven?  I have two appetizers that are fairly easy to make but do require cooking in a hot oven.  (You could probably start them in your own oven, and just rewarm them at your host's place, but I haven't tried that.) Anyway, the first one is for stuffed mushrooms.  Remove the stems and fill the caps with a garlic herb soft cheese, like Allouette or Boursin.  Sprinkle seasoned breadcrumbs on top and bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes.  Easy to make and very tasty. The other is for a pastry rollup using prepared pie crust, like the refrigerated Pillsbury pie crusts.  I make more than one version, but the easiest is to unroll one pie crust and top it with thin sliced cheese and ham, leaving a 1" border of crust around the edges.  Then loosely roll the crust to form a pinwheeled cylinder.  Put the roll on a cookie sheet with the seam down and fold the edges under.  Bake at 450 for 12 to 17 minutes or until golden brown.  Once you remove it from the oven, cut into 3/4 - 1 inch slices. You can add a veggie like asparagus to the ham and cheese rollup -- for asparagus, you don't even need to precook it, because it should cook enough in the oven.  The other version of this appetizer that I make is slightly more involved.  I saute sliced mushrooms in olive oil and herbs.  When the mushrooms are tender, I add baby spinach and cook till just wilted and remove from heat.  Use this filling along with cheese -- very thin sliced swiss cheese or shredded fontina work well -- and follow the same directions for rolling and baking as above.   Both rollup recipes can be prepared a day in advance -- I wrap each in non-stick foil, and then bake 'em (unwrapped!) right on the foil for easy cleanup.  Also, the pie crusts come two to a box -- each roll-up makes about 16 slices, so two should work well for 20 people. Hope this helps!
    Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Sandwich, that sounds good!  I especially like that you can make it ahead of time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

PS:  chazz, I have seen that chili sauce and jelly idea done with meatballs, too -- and the meatballs were purchased premade and frozen.  Talk about easy!

I haven't made them myself, but AGUY's post reminded me that someone brought them to a party I hosted a couple of years ago.

Hope the wine tasting is a lot of fun!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've made a super easy blue cheese ball that gets rave reviews.  No oven required, but you do need to make it ahead so the flavors come together overnight.

I add about 3 times as many dates as it calls for and more lemon juice to taste; it needs more tang/zip.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]I've made a super easy blue cheese ball that gets rave reviews.  No oven required, but you do need to make it ahead so the flavors come together overnight. I add about 3 times as many dates as it calls for and more lemon juice to taste; it needs more tang/zip. Blue Cheese Date Ball
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

kargiver, thanks for the website.  That sounds yummy too!  I love blue cheese.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You're welcome!  I have a hard time getting home with all the blue cheese I need for the recipe.  As difficult as it is to eat in the car, I'm guilty. Embarassed  I think it would be particularly good with the wine, too!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnath. Show johnath's posts

Do you know what kind of wine? Red or white? Or is it a little of everything?
    You do not want the food to overpower the wine and vice-versa. 
    I like finger food. This way you have a hand for the wine and one for the food.
    Nothing messy. Let me know and I have a few ideas.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good point, johnath (good to see you, too).  I assumed a mix of everything when I posted the blue cheese ball.  BUT, if it's all white wine it would be too overpowering.  Best with red and the very full bodied whites.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello, good to see you Johnath. Hope you are doing well. Did you marry yet?
    Now that I have you on line, what kind of wine would you recommend for Mexican food. To me it would be Margaritas, but these friends of mine to not drink hard liquor and they are vegetarians. Thus Mexican food.
    I hope you do not mind me picking your brains.
    Best to you my friend - Pingo

[QUOTE]Do you know what kind of wine? Red or white? Or is it a little of everything? You do not want the food to overpower the wine and vice-versa.  I like finger food. This way you have a hand for the wine and one for the food. Nothing messy. Let me know and I have a few ideas.
    Posted by johnath[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

White wine (pinot gritio)....The woman having the party is friend's with the owner of a restaurant on the Cape.  He likes to test a bunch of wines to see what people like so he can order it for his place.  (Pretty psyched, I'm thinking they're going to be a lot better than what I buy at home!!)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE]White wine (pinot gritio)....The woman having the party is friend's with the owner of a restaurant on the Cape.  He likes to test a bunch of wines to see what people like so he can order it for his place.  (Pretty psyched, I'm thinking they're going to be a lot better than what I buy at home!!)
    Posted by chazz508[/QUOTE]

Oh!  I love Pinot Grigio!  Do you need someone to come along and I dunno, hold your purse for you or something?  I won't be a bother, really.  I'll even bring my own glass.

;^)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, I'm so glad johnath asked.  Pinot Grigio is too light tasting, imo, to serve with blue cheese.  I'd go with a lighter tasting app.  Spinach dip would be nice.  

Oh, and generally speaking, no artichokes; I learned in Gourmet magazine that there's a chemical in artichokes that changes the taste of wine completely.  You'll have no idea how it actually tastes if you've had artichokes that night.  If he's making purchase decisions based on the partygoers' opinions, I'd actually be bold enough to tell him (on the QT) to remove the artichoke dish if anyone does bring one - it could cost him a bundle in distorted focus group results!

The mushrooms stuffed with Boursin (above) would be nice, but I'd use the plain flavor given the wine choice and the fact that it's essentially a fun focus group.  Garlic and herbs can influence the taste of the wine, and it's hard to cleanse your palette from garlic.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Appetizer Recipe : Oh!  I love Pinot Grigio!  Do you need someone to come along and I dunno, hold your purse for you or something?  I won't be a bother, really.  I'll even bring my own glass. ;^)
    Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich[/QUOTE]

Ha, Sandwich, I would love to take you!  I am partial to chardonnay myself (which I was told by my sister-in-law was the choice of "unsophisticated" wine drinkers!)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

[QUOTE]Oh, I'm so glad johnath asked.  Pinot Grigio is too light tasting, imo, to serve with blue cheese.  I'd go with a lighter tasting app.  Spinach dip would be nice.   Oh, and generally speaking, no artichokes ; I learned in Gourmet magazine that there's a chemical in artichokes that changes the taste of wine completely.  You'll have no idea how it actually tastes if you've had artichokes that night.  If he's making purchase decisions based on the partygoers' opinions, I'd actually be bold enough to tell him (on the QT) to remove the artichoke dish if anyone does bring one - it could cost him a bundle in distorted focus group results! The mushrooms stuffed with Boursin (above) would be nice, but I'd use the plain flavor given the wine choice and the fact that it's essentially a fun focus group.  Garlic and herbs can influence the taste of the wine, and it's hard to cleanse your palette from garlic.

Thanks, kargiver, that's good to know!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, and I've also read in that Gourmet that there's no "right and wrong" wine or wine pairings anymore, per se, that it's en vogue these days to acknowledge that what you LIKE is RIGHT. :)   It only matters if the pairing of food and wine changes the taste of the wine and your host messes up his ordering choices as a result!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh boy, Kar!
    I was going to make your blue cheese ball for a dinner party I have tmw. night. One of the ladies are drinking Pinot Grigio ONLY. Will have to think of something else quickly. Thanks my friend - Pingo

[QUOTE]Oh, and I've also read in that Gourmet that there's no "right and wrong" wine or wine pairings anymore, per se, that it's en vogue these days to acknowledge that what you LIKE is RIGHT. :)   It only matters if the pairing of food and wine changes the taste of the wine and your host messes up his ordering choices as a result!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Appetizer Recipe : Ha, Sandwich, I would love to take you!  I am partial to chardonnay myself (which I was told by my sister-in-law was the choice of "unsophisticated" wine drinkers!)
    Posted by chazz508[/QUOTE]

Oh, no!  I reserve that kind of snooty opinion for the Riesling drinkers.  8)

Just kidding -- no offense intended to those with a sweet tooth.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, no worries about the bleu cheese ball and pinot grigio, generally speaking imo.  I'd pair it for myself, anyway.  I warned this particular poster because it can alter the taste of the wine (not necessarily making it taste bad, per se) so that the results of his taste testing party, which he'll use to make big purchasing decisions, wouldn't be tainted by something too strong.

If you want to make the bleu cheese ball for a regular party where white wine will be served, that would be perfectly OK imo.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Pinot Grigio question - so glad I fell upon this thread - Love pinot grigio, but never am sure which wines you refrigerate and serve cold and which you serve at room temp.  Should I refridg the pinot grigio I bought today ?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yup!  The general rule is white/cold, red/room temp.  You could be "extra" correct by getting it out of the fridge 30 - 60 minutes before you plan to arrive, but I drink it directly out of the fridge, and so do most others.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toytrumpet. Show toytrumpet's posts

Thanks, that's an easy rule of thumb to remember.  White/cold red/room temp

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks Kar, you are such a peach!
    From where did you get all this wine knowledge?
    I didn't see your apps post until now. So I did buy the ingredients for the ball. Just in case. It is going to be served tonight. Yeah! Personally, I LOVE blue cheese. And so does DH - think I trained him well. Some people think it is to strong. Well not us.
    Did you try the Danish blue cheese? Called Rosenborg I believe. - Pingo

Sections
Shortcuts