Broth or Stock

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Broth or Stock

I thought broth was the liquid part of a soup that's all made, and stock was the liquid from simmering bones/veggies to then use in a soup, bisque, or stew.

How do you make a broth vs. a stock?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnath. Show johnath's posts

[QUOTE]I thought broth was the liquid part of a soup that's all made, and stock was the liquid from simmering bones/veggies to then use in a soup, bisque, or stew. How do you make a broth vs. a stock?
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]
    Stock is made with roasted bones  and veggies. Broth is made with meat and veggies. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello jonath,
    Welcome back and congratulation on your new house. I am sure your new kitchen will be awesome.
    I prefer stock for "heavier" soups (black bean soup f. ex.) and broth for lighter soups (like aspargus soup)- Pingo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks for the definitions.  I make and prefer stock.  I made Bobby Flay's Lobster Bisque from www.foodnetwork.com with a stock from the lobster shells, by the way.  It was AMAZING, if you don't mind my saying so - I just followed the all-day recipe.  It cost about $100, but it was worth it.  The official restaurant recipe serves 20, but I made half, and it served 6 very generously as the main course.  I highly recommend it for any VERY special occassion.  I made it the day before.  Oh, and I used an immersion blender to finish it; that's the only modification I made.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

By the way, I should have congratulated you on your home!  I was so wrapped up in not knowing the difference between broth and stock I forgot. :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello kar,
    I do the same. Use everything leftover from the lobster - shells and heads (after picking every morsel out)  - to make my stock for the bisque.
    Also, I steam my lobsters at home. Huge pot with about 3 inches of water plus added veggies. Onions, carrots, celery plus bayleaf, peppercorn, a pinch of red pepper and a teaspoon of sugar. I strain and save the steaming water and cook my leftover lobster parts in that broth. Talking about AMAZING!
    There is a lobster place not too far from where we live, where I used to be able to go and pick up heads so inexpensively. I would get a huge bag for just a few $$. Then I would go home and pick out all the meat (time consuming, but worth it). Learned from a Maine fisherman. The head meat is so sweet. And I would be able to make several lobster rolls. I would then use the picked over heads to make my lobster bisque stock. But unfortunately those days are over :( - Today the even heads are pricy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Hello kar, I do the same. Use everything leftover from the lobster - shells and heads (after picking every morsel out)  - to make my stock for the bisque. Also, I steam my lobsters at home. Huge pot with about 3 inches of water plus added veggies. Onions, carrots, celery plus bayleaf, peppercorn, a pinch of red pepper and a teaspoon of sugar. I strain and save the steaming water and cook my leftover lobster parts in that broth. Talking about AMAZING! There is a lobster place not too far from where we live, where I used to be able to go and pick up heads so inexpensively. I would get a huge bag for just a few $$. Then I would go home and pick out all the meat (time consuming, but worth it). Learned from a Maine fisherman. The head meat is so sweet. And I would be able to make several lobster rolls. I would then use the picked over heads to make my lobster bisque stock. But unfortunately those days are over :( - Today the even heads are pricy.
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Oh, pingo, how I'd love to have a big bowl of homemade bisque right now!  I'm from Maine, and my grandmother taught me how to cook and extract all the meat from the lobsters.  So many people toss out so much meat - it's a tragedy for that price!!  Check out that Bank St. Lobster House recipe on food network and weigh in on how it compares to yours.  I've never made it any other way, and this came out stellar: Recipe

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnath. Show johnath's posts

[QUOTE]Hello kar, I do the same. Use everything leftover from the lobster - shells and heads (after picking every morsel out)  - to make my stock for the bisque. Also, I steam my lobsters at home. Huge pot with about 3 inches of water plus added veggies. Onions, carrots, celery plus bayleaf, peppercorn, a pinch of red pepper and a teaspoon of sugar. I strain and save the steaming water and cook my leftover lobster parts in that broth. Talking about AMAZING! There is a lobster place not too far from where we live, where I used to be able to go and pick up heads so inexpensively. I would get a huge bag for just a few $$. Then I would go home and pick out all the meat (time consuming, but worth it). Learned from a Maine fisherman. The head meat is so sweet. And I would be able to make several lobster rolls. I would then use the picked over heads to make my lobster bisque stock. But unfortunately those days are over :( - Today the even heads are pricy.
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]
    pingo, It doesn't get better than lobster bisque and steamed lobster at home.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I was at Hannefords just now in Brookfield, and they have fiesty live lobsters for $5.50/lb!!!  I asked if it were a mistake, but it wasn't, and guess what we're having for dinner tonight!  (Shh, don't tell the lobsters; I want them to enjoy their last few hours on earth.)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Wow Kar! That price is amazing. Unfortunately I have veggie company this weekend - so no lobster.
    My son will be coming home for Memorial Day to do some packing to get everything ready for the movers. I have promised him we will have lobsters. But I bet the price will go up by then. But no matter what price, he deserves it.
    Years ago (before children) we used to go to Bar Harbor every Memorial Day weekend with a group of friends. We would stay at Emmery's cottages. Since Maine had not yet opened up for the season, they would open the cottages just for us.  We would eat lobster-in-the-raw a few miles down the road. Bring our own bread and wine and we would have a feast -- actually several feasts. By the time we got back we were kind of lobstered out for a while. Nothing like a Maine lobster, just picked from the ocean.
    I printed out your recipe and will definitely try it someday. Thanks! I make it very similar to that, but I use less water. I don't cover the lobsters completely - more like steaming them than boiling them.
    Boy, do I ever have a craving for lobster right now. Maybe I will make one for myself tonight - since my company will not be home until late.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, pingo, I hope you got one! 

We used to go to Belfast, ME every year to Young's Lobster Pound.  Then, next door for fudge at Perry's Nut House.  Then, down the street for ice cream...Giffords, I think?  Perry's closed about 10 years ago, I think...sigh. We lived in Hampden (near Bangor).

Make sure you watch the Hanneford's guy like a hawk.  Don't trust him to go in the back to get the lobsters.  Make sure they are kicking as you watch him put them in the bag.  3 hours after I got home, I went to cook our lobsters for my surprise dinner as DH was coming down the driveway, and one was DEAD.  I had put a cold cloth in the bag.  Maybe I suffocated him Surprised, but I don't think so - I never have that way before...  We made out OK, though.  We shared the 1 1/4 lb lobster, I'd made guacamole (sp?) for corn chips, and I had steamed broccoli, so we didn't starve, but I was ticked!  Oh, well, that stuff happens sometimes.

Good day,
    ~kar Smile

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Claddaugh. Show Claddaugh's posts

Holy Cow Kar! I grew up in Hampden!! I've never met another person from Hampden before- how random & what a small world.
    I was there from 1976 to 1989 (when I graduated from HA). How about you?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Clad, that is really funny!  I was also there from 1976 to about 1984.  I was a year behind you, but I had Mrs. Campo for second grade and Mrs. Mayhew for third at Mary Snow.  I also had Mr. Jenkins for home room in 4th grade.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Claddaugh. Show Claddaugh's posts

Wow- good memory Kar. I remember Mr Jenkins (I also lived near him) but not the others. 20th highschool reunion was last summer- time really flies!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Wow, you do?  Oh, I remember another one!  Mr. Dean.  He was my Language Arts teacher in 4th grade.  He was a character with bushy 70s curly hair!  I remember he made us write an essay with no "ands" once because he was tired of all the run on sentences!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Claddaugh. Show Claddaugh's posts

lol! Mr Dean. I remember him. Another name just came to me- Mr Edinger (5th grade, I think). He loved to square dance!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You had Mr. Dean, too?!  He was awesome!

I left in the middle of 4th grade when my mom and I moved to Florida so I don't know anyone past them.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Do you remember the sickly 4th grader who was constantly going home with insane bouts of coughing with bronchitis?  I'm sure the whole school could hear me.  It's why we moved, actually.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Claddaugh. Show Claddaugh's posts

Hmmmmm...sorry, can't say I remember hearing that (the coughing or the moving). How is your bronchitis now? Did you grow out of it?
    My mom stayed in Hampden until 1990 and then she moved to Kennebunkport. She died in 2006 so I don't have any relatives left in Maine, but we go back every summer (to Kennebunkport) for her memorial. I didn't go to the reunion last summer- couldn't make it- I would have loved to go back to visit. But, I've been able to reconnect with several classmates via Facebook and some still live there. It was a great place to raise a family.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We don't have any family there, now, either.  Last time I was there was for my grandmother's memorial service; they have plots in Bangor.

My bronchitis is much better, but if I get a cold, it ALWAYS develops into a bad case of bronchitis.  I'm glad you don't remember the coughing.  It was awful for everyone, not just me!  Poor Mr. Jenkins...  I was coughing so bad tears were streaming down my face, and that, of course, made me cough more.  He looked as helpless as he felt.