Coleslaw Recipe

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

Coleslaw Recipe

I am ashamed to say this,but at our local Colonel Sanders  they managed to mess up his good old fashioned coleslaw.
    What is the secret to the Colonel's recipe for I have seldom found anything which approaches its wonderful flavor?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: Coleslaw Recipe

TarheelChief,
    I don't eat at Colonel Sanders - so I cannot comment on that. But I have found that many fast food restaurants have changed their Coleslaw recipes. And I do not like them.
    I used to go to Friendly's and order their Fish-a-magic sandwich. It would come with French Fries. I don' t eat French Fries - so I substitute coleslaw. But now the coleslaw turn me off.
    I like the one I make at home. Just finely hand cut cabbage, shredded carrots and a teaspoon or so of celery seeds - with a dressing made of rice vinagar, olive oil and a pinch of sugar. Then a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Easy and yummy!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnath. Show johnath's posts

If you shred and salt the cabbage you get rid of a lot of water. Then you have a crisp slaw.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The KFC slaw was sweeter than most but still had a good, sharp bite. Makes me think they used an onion syrup.  You can make it by mincing an onion and adding a cup of sugar.  Shake it up and leave it overnight.  Strain and toss onion remnants.  Mince a fresh onion for the slaw (not the strained junk, it will not have a good texture).  Add the syrup to taste to any other slaw recipe that calls for mayo (not an olive oil based one), and you'll probably approximate the KFC version.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Oh wow kar! Will definitely try that. Thanks my friend.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Oh wow kar! Will definitely try that. Thanks my friend.
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Let me know if I guessed right.  You're a dear.  :)

As you can imagine, I use that onion syrup for other things, too - it works great in any savory sauce that needs a bit of sweetener, like a marinade or salad dressing.  I used it last weekend in an orange chicken marinade instead of my usual honey.

P.S.  If you are in a hurry for the syrup, you can cook it on low.  The onions give up their juices fairly quickly that way...15 minutes or so.  BUT, onion syrup can be used as a natural tussin/expectorant cough medicine, and if you cook it you ruin that property.  I have bronchitis so I have the no-cook way to make it on the brain. But, I suppose if I didn't I'd recommend cooking it.  Tastes exactly the same and you don't have to wait.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks Kar, you are the best! Add me to the list of people with bronchial asthma. So, I will do the 'long' method. Does this really work for your bronchitis? That is really awesome. I am spending a fortune on meds. They work for me, but I just hate to fill my body with all that 'junk'.

[QUOTE]Let me know if I guessed right.  You're a dear.  :) As you can imagine, I use that onion syrup for other things, too - it works great in any savory sauce that needs a bit of sweetener, like a marinade or salad dressing.  I used it last weekend in an orange chicken marinade instead of my usual honey. P.S.  If you are in a hurry for the syrup, you can cook it on low.  The onions give up their juices fairly quickly that way...15 minutes or so.  BUT, onion syrup can be used as a natural tussin/expectorant cough medicine, and if you cook it you ruin that property.  I have bronchitis so I have the no-cook way to make it on the brain. But, I suppose if I didn't I'd recommend cooking it.  Tastes exactly the same and you don't have to wait.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks Kar, you are the best! Add me to the list of people with bronchial asthma. So, I will do the 'long' method. Does this really work for your bronchitis? That is really awesome. I am spending a fortune on meds. They work for me, but I just hate to fill my body with all that 'junk'.
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

<blush />, thanks, Hon.  I'm so glad to know you. 

I've had bronchitis about 20 - 30 times, and this is the first time I've used the onion syrup.  It's also the first time that I haven't developed the incessant deepest, darkest, dog bark cough in the world.  I do, however, have a productive cough in the morning for about 30 minutes after I get up, but it's not horrendous or painful like it always has been.  I believe, therefore, that it is preventing my body from producing tons of mucus to be coughed up.  Nothing else I've ever taken has done that despite it's being called a "tussin."  I've taken prescription cough suppressants before, but that didn't do anything for what I eventually had to expel at some point.

However, drastically reducing what needs to be coughed up is it's only use, albeit a great one.  It doesn't act as a cough suppressant at all. 

So, yes, it works, but not exactly as an expectorant, as described all over the web (and as I mentioned above) - it's more of a mucus preventer.  I also blew my nose a LOT less this time around, but still suffered moderately.

Bottom line, it's worth the trouble by far, and I'll never have bronchitis without making it for myself.  I took a lot of it.  Didn't have bad/onion breath or digestive problems, either.  :)

HTH, dear pingo.  Sorry you have to deal with bronchitis, too!! 

~kar

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks kar for your most valuable info. I made onion juice last night. Straining it this morning. Just can't wait to use it. How much do you take at a time. One teaspoon, one tablespoon? I have diabetes, so I have to watch my sugar intake.
    Yes indeed, my asthmatic bronchitis does keep me from doing a lot of the things, I like to do. I know I have to stay away from smoking and pungent sents - like perfume. Especially perfume and strong sents can give me a violent attack. We have many guests from abroad, that love to 'take bath' in cologne or perfume. Somehow, I am too chicken to ask them not to use it. I know, I should assert myself a lot better. But I do not like my gests to feel uncomfortble. So, I suffer while they are here.
    Just hope your onion juice will help me.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks kar for your most valuable info. I made onion juice last night. Straining it this morning. Just can't wait to use it. How much do you take at a time. One teaspoon, one tablespoon? I have diabetes, so I have to watch my sugar intake. Yes indeed, my asthmatic bronchitis does keep me from doing a lot of the things, I like to do. I know I have to stay away from smoking and pungent sents - like perfume. Especially perfume and strong sents can give me a violent attack. We have many guests from abroad, that love to 'take bath' in cologne or perfume. Somehow, I am too chicken to ask them not to use it. I know, I should assert myself a lot better. But I do not like my gests to feel uncomfortble. So, I suffer while they are here. Just hope your onion juice will help me.
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Dear pingo, I feel for you.  I wish I'd known you had diabetes...it's not such a good remedy for you.  I took a LOT - probably a 1/4 c morning and night (WAY more than recommended online). However, I read that a couple of tablespoons a day should help.  If I had diabetes I would go as easy as possible, obviously, and I'd give that amount a whirl.  Wish I had empiracle data for you for the effacy of lesser amounts.

Do you have a juicer?  I'm positive the sugar is not part of the remedy, only a means to extract the juice.  If I had diabetes, I'd juice a bunch of onions and drink that.  Gross, but I would - it works that well that I'd drink it straight, but I really have no idea how little I could take and have the same effect. ????? 

Anyway, if you can take a couple of Tbls a day while you are in a mucus-producing situation, I'm fairly confident it would prevent or at least minimize problems.  Given the success I had with it, I would take it if I had someone with perfume staying at my house as a preventative measure, and I think it would keep me clear or at least a lot clearer.  I'd take 2 Tbl a day if I had diabetes and cut way back on other sugars.

Good luck, pingo - I hope this helps, and I also hope you can get the juice without the sugar.

Your friend,
    ~kar

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tarheel, sorry we hijacked - please let us know if you try the onion juice for the original intent of the thread,  I'm fairly sure you can approximate the KFC slaw with it, but I'd love to know for sure if you try it.

~kar

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

[QUOTE]The KFC slaw was sweeter than most but still had a good, sharp bite. Makes me think they used an onion syrup.  You can make it by mincing an onion and adding a cup of sugar.  Shake it up and leave it overnight.  Strain and toss onion remnants.  Mince a fresh onion for the slaw (not the strained junk, it will not have a good texture).  Add the syrup to taste to any other slaw recipe that calls for mayo (not an olive oil based one), and you'll probably approximate the KFC version.
    Thank you so much for this insight. It sounds like you know your coleslaw.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Thank you so much for this insight. It sounds like you know your coleslaw.
    Posted by TarheelChief[/QUOTE]

I hope it works!  I should have mentioned to replace any sugar the mayo-based recipe calls for with the onion syrup then add until it tastes right.  Of course, taste the syrup straight before you start adding it so you know what you're dealing with.  I think when you do you'll immediately think of many other recipes to try it in, too!

Best to you!  I love the old KFC recipe, too.

~kar

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Tarheel, you there?  Did you try it?  I'm dying to know the result.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

[QUOTE]Tarheel, you there?  Did you try it?  I'm dying to know the result.
    I haven't tried yet,but I will shortly.
    Another great coleslaw was made in Eastern North Carolina and it was placed on top of the best barbecue in the US.Here again there are preferences,but there really is nothing better than this region's barbecue sandwiches.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Please remember me when you do; I'm truly eager to hear your report and hope you are happy with how it works.  At the very least, I think you'll be happy to incorporate onion syrup into your repetoir of ingredients. :)

I had a really good pig roast once when I lived in NC...Mmm, pork.