Great/Easy Chili Recipe

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fargo. Show Fargo's posts

Great/Easy Chili Recipe

I'm looking for a really good chili recipe that doesn't require me to slowly simmer an entire cow for nine hours.  I'd like something authentic and I'm willing to work but a huge time commitment isn't in the schedule.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Good wings or ribs would help, too. Thanks. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

Re: Great/Easy Chili Recipe

[QUOTE]I'm looking for a really good chili recipe that doesn't require me to slowly simmer an entire cow for nine hours.  I'd like something authentic and I'm willing to work but a huge time commitment isn't in the schedule.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Good wings or ribs would help, too. Thanks. 
    Posted by Fargo[/QUOTE]
    I'm guessing this is not a photo of yourself.
    The fastest recipe takes 40 minutes.
    First, brown  1/2 lb. of ground beef for ten minutes.
     Second,in the same period you are browning the meat in a frying pan you get a large soup kettle.In this pan you pour together a large can of red beans,a large can of minced tomato,and one package of store chili recipe.
    Heat this soup kettle on low medium.Insert the meat into the simmering mixture.Stir the beans,tomato and meat mixture three times.
    Third,get a pre diced cheese packet and save this for final presentation after forty minutes. 

mix.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've made this to rave reviews for about 15 years, and it takes about 1.5 hours total (30 minutes active, 1 hr simmer)  You can use ground beef instead, but the turkey would fool anyone on football night and is lower in fat.  I also use fat free refried beans and can't taste or feel the difference between that and the heavier stuff.  I only make subs when it doesn't wreck the dish.

Brown 2 lbs ground turkey and 2 med onions of your choice in stew pot.  Drain.  Add:

1 dark beer
    1 can (16 oz) drained red beans
    1 can (16 oz) refried beans
    1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
    1 standard size can tomato paste
    1 Tbl molasses
    3 Tbl chili powder
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1/2 tsp garlic salt
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp dried red pepper flakes

Simmer 1 hour, uncovered, stirring occassionally.

P.S. Not sure what you meant by "authentic" but it tastes and looks traditional to me. Nice balance of flavors, textures, heat, and consistency.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fargo. Show Fargo's posts

[QUOTE]I've made this to rave reviews for about 15 years, and it takes about 1.5 hours total (30 minutes active, 1 hr simmer)  You can use ground beef instead, but the turkey would fool anyone on football night and is lower in fat.  I also use fat free refried beans and can't taste or feel the difference between that and the heavier stuff.  I only make subs when it doesn't wreck the dish. Brown 2 lbs ground turkey and 2 med onions of your choice in stew pot.  Drain.  Add: 1 dark beer 1 can (16 oz) drained red beans 1 can (16 oz) refried beans 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce 1 standard size can tomato paste 1 Tbl molasses 3 Tbl chili powder 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper 1/4 tsp black pepper 1/2 tsp garlic salt 1/2 tsp salt 1 tsp dried red pepper flakes Simmer 1 hour, uncovered, stirring occassionally. P.S. Not sure what you meant by "authentic" but it tastes and looks traditional to me. Nice balance of flavors, textures, heat, and consistency.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Thanks!  I'll try it. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hey Kar, didn't know you are such a great cook. I will definitely try your chili recipe.
    By dark beer, do you mean Porter? Or can a dark lager do just as well?
    I have used turkey for any recipe that calls for ground beef for a very long time. No one can taste the difference. However, I do add a couple of teaspoons of olive oil sometimes. Turkey meat loaf f. ex. will get too dry.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Hey Kar, didn't know you are such a great cook. I will definitely try your chili recipe. By dark beer, do you mean Porter? Or can a dark lager do just as well? I have used turkey for any recipe that calls for ground beef for a very long time. No one can taste the difference. However, I do add a couple of teaspoons of olive oil sometimes. Turkey meat loaf f. ex. will get too dry.
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Hey, pingo. :)  It was a condition of marriage!  LOL - my DH loves food and I do love to cook.   

I do add olive oil, too, to loosen it up a bit upon reheating.  If one were to dislike the flavor that imparts, I'd use peanut oil or safflower.

To all, I should have been more descriptive of the beer. I meant anything I'd drink, but my DH (a Bud Light man) wouldn't, but I know that isn't too helpful, either. But, bottom line it's personal taste.  I've used Sam's Boston Lager, Irish Red, etc.  I think the Irish Red is my fav.  But, consider the flavors you'd want to add to your chili - sweeter (malty), bitter (hoppy), balanced (Boston Lager), lighter (Guiness).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks!  I'll try it. 
    Posted by Fargo[/QUOTE]

Great!  Please let us know what you think.  Pingo, too.  I'd be interested in any changes to it anyone tries.

(Note I made a new post about the beer since pingo pointed out my ambiguity, fortunately.)

P.S.  Use at least a 4.5 qt heavy pot (which I use).  I'd recommend a 6 qt, though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Pingo, the meatloaf by Bobby Flay on Food Network wasn't dry even though I made it with 1/2 turkey, 1/2 ground chuck, and I think it would have been good with 100% turkey, too.  It's half sauted veggies (despite the name "Roasted Veggie Meatloaf").  I cooked them until most of the liquid was evaporated, but they still kept it moist.  If you do a search in Recipes (change it from Whole Site) for meatloaf at www.foodnetwork.com, it's the first one that comes up.  I reduced the glaze by 75% (1/4 cup each of the catsup and balsamic vinegar).  I highly recommend it...it's good enough for company.